Computer woes

Doc Shaftoe

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
DocShaftoe
Hey gang, I've been having a problem with my PC that I can't figure out. It's reached the point where my pride is less important than figuring out what the hell is going on, so I'm coming to all of you for help.

Recently I've started to experience random crashes where my computer would simply die and need several minutes before being capable of restarting, behavior that led me to believe something had begun overheating. I started to obsess over the temperatures in my PC, but nothing was going over spec.

This had me thinking it was a PSU issue, so I replaced the PSU. Still happened.

So I thought, okay maybe there's something wrong with my motherboard. So I replaced that, which is where I am now. My system has, until now, been running perfectly fine with 32gb of ddr3 ram. I know it's a lot, but I use it. Now, the thing that has me scratching my head is that when I installed the new motherboard and plugged everything back in, I get stuck in a startup loop with any RAM in a dual-channel configuration or slot. IE, I can't have more than 16gb of RAM at a time, and only in a single-channel setup.

I've poked around inside the BIOS to get the DRAM timing and voltage right, but I'm still stuck with a startup loop using a dual-channel configuration or all four sticks of RAM. I've tested the sticks individually and they all work fine, leading me to suspect a faulty DIMM slot or bad memory controller. HOWEVER, out of curiosity I put everything back together on my OLD motherboard and I'm having the same issue. While it's possible that I've got two faulty motherboards, the odds of that are pretty slim, especially when I received and installed a new, previously unopened board yesterday.

So it's got to be something I'm either doing wrong, or not doing. I've looked at the pin connectors for both motherboards and nothing looks out of place, IE bent. I'll check again with a more powerful magnifier, but I'm at a complete loss.

Any thoughts from the TESTie brain trust?

smeggy

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2015
RSI Handle
sm3ggy
What memory tests are you running and how long? I had similar issues with an old setup and turned out one of the RAM sticks was starting to go bad. A normal "quick" test didn't find it, but a longer heavy test (like running for a day or two) found some issues.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
It sounds like you have ram with different timings. I mean, it totally sounds like you have ram with different timings.
For best results use matched ram.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
It's the same symptoms if one chip is not fully seated. Easily done.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
I can't figure it out when I think it through. Just weighing options.

Doc Shaftoe

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
DocShaftoe
The RAM is all the same make and model. YES, I got two different packs of 16gb each, but they're set to run on the same timing in the BIOS and set to the manufacturer spec. I'll double check both the seating of the RAM and CPU and I'll set up another round of tests for the RAM itself. I've got back through and double-checked the sockets on both motherboards and I can't find any bent pin connectors.

The for the record, the RAM is Gskill f3-2400C10D-16GTX. Up until I started fucking with my motherboard (aka replacing the damn thing) I wasn't having these issues.

Thanks for the suggestions, and you guys are probably right.

In the words of Mark Watney "I'm going to die because I'm stupid." (Or something to that effect.)

Last edited:

NoTick

Commander
Sep 30, 2016
RSI Handle
NoTick
What Graphical Card are you using?

When the crash happens - do you actually see some sort of error? (E.g. a BSOD or the newer windows 'Frownie Face' error) Or does the screen just flutter black and eventually reboot itself?

orac_zen

Space Marshal
Mar 16, 2016
RSI Handle
orak1
I have a similar issue with a computer I'm building using used parts. The mother board is a gigabyte h77m-d3h. It has 4 ram slots and I only need to use 2. I looked up the proper placement of the 2 sticks of ram and put the ram into those slots. The board gets stuck in a boot loop. The board has a dual bios mode on it. I ended up putting the 2 sticks in the 2 slots closest to the cpu, whitch is not were the manual tells you to put them... amazingly the computer is running fine now. I think the 2 sticks are running on single channel in this configuration.

Doc Shaftoe

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
DocShaftoe
I was using a GTX980 Ti during most of the crashes. I'd thought them similar to the crashes experienced with an EVGA GTX 1080 prior to their fixing the issues of an overheating voltage regulator module which is why I'd swapped cards. There was no BSOD or graphical flickering, the system would just die.

I've also managed to get my system running in a single-channel RAM configuration with sticks in DIMM 1 and 2 so I can at least USE the computer.

I've tested my system with three different motherboards at this point and they're all exhibiting the same issues, even when I breadboard the build. At this point I'm pretty sure it's a faulty CPU memory controller. I'd check with another CPU but I don't have another LGA1150 socket based CPU lying around, and unfortunately there's no real software-based test you can run to determine if that particular system is FUBAR'd.

Fortunately, my CPU is under warranty with intel so worst case scenario I can replace it through them.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Are you using the latest BIOS? BIOS often get updated as new ram and things come out.
I'd be trying to clear the CMOS IF the BIOS is up to date and the problem persists. Shut off. Populate all the ram and fire it up.
I have had single ram slots go bad as well.

Doc Shaftoe

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
DocShaftoe
I've already tried with the latest BIOS and I've tried resetting the CMOS. Like I said, at this stage I'm fairly certain it's a CPU thing. I need to get my hands on another LGA 1150 CPU and try that with one of the motherboards. If that doesn't work, I'll know it's not a CPU issue and it'll call for a third round of experimentation.

Reactions: marcsand2

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
It sounds like a tough one. It will be interesting and educational to find out the cause in the end.
You'll get 'er.

Doc Shaftoe

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
DocShaftoe
Amen. Nothing to be done until after the semester ends. The one problem with taking online courses is that you need a computer to do the work. Not a problem though. Only a couple more weeks.

Doc Shaftoe

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
DocShaftoe
Got a different motherboard on the way, gonna try something new. I'm hoping that this'll fix it. Should arrive in a week or so. I'll keep you posted.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
memtest rocks. It has found me bad chips before.

Doc Shaftoe

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
DocShaftoe
I agree, memtest is fantastic. AND, it's the first thing I tried. All of my RAM works great. The problem cropping up occurs regardless of the stick of RAM used. I've taken four different good sticks of ram and as long as they're placed in the DIMM 3 or 4 slots, the computer gets stuck in a reboot loop.

It's not faulty memory modules guys, but I appreciate the help nonetheless.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
A bunch of folks have found that on certain boards too tight of a cooler install made it looses 2 slots. Loosening 1/2 turn cured some.
Depends the type of cooler mount of course.

Forgot your password?