Connie Missiles

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
So, do the missiles on the Connie work like other ships? I.e., mouse thumbwheel button to lock and again to fire? Do you hold to fire? Not quite sure. I was able flying the little Mustang Delta to get the rockets to work (I may have to grey market one of those, lots of fun now that I am starting to figure circle strafe and decoupled maneuvers out).

With all those guns and missiles the Connie should be a heavy duty scary system defense boat in the right hands when in the weapons effective zone IMO although I understand recent balancing (before I started playing) may have chipped away at that.

Any way, appreciate ideas and suggestions about how best to employ the Connie since I really like it.

Thanks in advance!

'Gimp

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Wow. No love on this thread at all. I'd assist, but I don't Connie. And I use a HOTAS. Sorry man.

Xian-Luc Picard

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2016
RSI Handle
Xian-Luc_Picard
Missiles on the connie work as you stated... it should be the same on all ships that have them. The connie is scary in the right hands; the guns are also gimballed, which makes it pretty deadly if you know how to use them. Just make sure you aren't traveling too fast or turn into it as it fires or you will have all the regrets.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Someday I'll have to learn how to dogfight in my connie. Although frankly that's not what I bought mine for.
Dog fight in a Connie. That sounds bad ass.
Fucks sake. The more I check out the Connie, the more I think I want one. Dammit. And I was so set on just using a Carrack as my "home base" ship. Haha

Doc Shaftoe

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
DocShaftoe
I'd argue that a carrack would be a superior "base" ship simply because of the expanded capabilities. More guns, more cargo, longer jump range, small hangar, etc.

Xian-Luc Picard

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2016
RSI Handle
Xian-Luc_Picard
I'd argue that a carrack would be a superior "base" ship simply because of the expanded capabilities. More guns, more cargo, longer jump range, small hangar, etc.
I agree except for one thing... bigger target. My buddy's connie already has a target painted on its backside. I believe the Carrack is supposed to have all sorts of sensors and fancy stuff that will give it a big signature. The size of the connie and its relative simplicity is perfect to be a destroyer-type vessel but also fly somewhat under the radar in a large battle with capital ships. If you are going to explore, I would take the Carrack any day over the Constellation, though.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
My thoughts exactly. Problem is, I want them all, lol. And I'm trying to hold myself to a smaller fleet that I use more. IE less ships, more usage.
Right now it's the Sabre, DURp, and Carrack. And my Aurora. Because TEST.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I agree except for one thing... bigger target. My buddy's connie already has a target painted on its backside. I believe the Carrack is supposed to have all sorts of sensors and fancy stuff that will give it a big signature. The size of the connie and its relative simplicity is perfect to be a destroyer-type vessel but also fly somewhat under the radar in a large battle with capital ships. If you are going to explore, I would take the Carrack any day over the Constellation, though.
This also is a very good point. And I concur again. I do plan on exploring. So I'll probably stick with my Carrack. Although I may melt and use a Starfarer for the time being, as she'll be ready right away. My Carrack CCU will remain safely in my hanger.

Doc Shaftoe

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
DocShaftoe
Honestly I'd love to get an exploration flotilla together. Starfarer for refueling, carrack or two for long range scans, some snub fighters for anti pirate or Vanduul stuff. Just go full retard and leave known space behind for good.

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
Update - I did indeed figure out how to use the missiles (just like every other ship) and am now working on figuring how best to employ it (combined CRU and SCM with occasional de-coupled).

As others have said, in the right hands and with a little luck it can be a scary gun/missile boat even solo but with turrets manned (and functioning properly) I think it will mature into a really great ship. Looking at youtubez from before the shield nerf the Connie took A LOT of damage, I mean it was like watching a 4th of July fireworks display - when shields, armor, repair and damage are working as intended I suspect a crewed Connie will be a very hard target - I sure hope so since I love the Mk-IV Andromeda - one of the sexiest/functional ship designs in SciFi, ever.

When modularity and customization are in effect is when we will see the Millenium Falcon equivalent.

A squardon of TEST Connies would be a drunken spectacle to behold that would have even the Vanduul shaking in their boots, or whatever footwear they prefer.

'Gimp

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Honestly I'd love to get an exploration flotilla together. Starfarer for refueling, carrack or two for long range scans, some snub fighters for anti pirate or Vanduul stuff. Just go full retard and leave known space behind for good.
I'm all about this. Count me in.
When modularity and customization are in effect is when we will see the Millenium Falcon equivalent.
This is what I want. I want to be able to customize my ship to the nth degree.
A squardon of TEST Connies would be a drunken spectacle to behold that would have even the Vanduul shaking in their boots, or whatever footwear they prefer.
This would be a thing of beauty

Reactions: AstroGimp01

Xian-Luc Picard

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2016
RSI Handle
Xian-Luc_Picard
Update - I did indeed figure out how to use the missiles (just like every other ship) and am now working on figuring how best to employ it (combined CRU and SCM with occasional de-coupled).

As others have said, in the right hands and with a little luck it can be a scary gun/missile boat even solo but with turrets manned (and functioning properly) I think it will mature into a really great ship. Looking at youtubez from before the shield nerf the Connie took A LOT of damage, I mean it was like watching a 4th of July fireworks display - when shields, armor, repair and damage are working as intended I suspect a crewed Connie will be a very hard target - I sure hope so since I love the Mk-IV Andromeda - one of the sexiest/functional ship designs in SciFi, ever.

'Gimp
I'm glad to hear you got it figured out. It is a pretty awesome ship once you know how to use it. My only real complaint is that visibility becomes an issue when multiple connies are flying together; you get the Test drunken flying effect. I am hoping they get picture in picture working so I can have a "rear-view" camera to watch my tail from the cockpit.

Last edited:

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
We need to plan on doing this some weekend. I'm all for it!

Couple Carracks, Starfarers, Vanguards, and maybe a Reclaimer. I'd also say an Idris and Endeavor if we wanted to go balls deep

Doc Shaftoe

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
DocShaftoe
THINGS THAT WERE SAID
I know TEST has an official exploration group, but I'd prefer to just go ham and fly our way into the great unknown. If Star Citizen's galaxy ever gets as large as Elites, I vote we all make a mass exodus to the center of the galaxy and rename the colossal black hole holding everything together Montoya.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I know TEST has an official exploration group, but I'd prefer to just go ham and fly our way into the great unknown. If Star Citizen's galaxy ever gets as large as Elites, I vote we all make a mass exodus to the center of the galaxy and rename the colossal black hole holding everything together Montoya.
Here here. I second this proposition. It's absurd, it's crazy, it's just about perfect for TEST

Reactions: meatay

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I fly with Zapp and was about to melt my connie out of frustration until I started flying with Throttle+mouse and realized that the guns were gimballed. Game changer. I have developed a method of dogfighting with the connie using zero forward thrust and just going balls-crazy on my latteral thrusters. It is pretty damn effective and I am able to 2 or 3 shot any NPC if i get a good solid hit on 'em. Moral of the story: Choose your ships based on the role they are meant to fill. Performance right now is no indication of final game balancing, so dont get disheartened by the kleenex shields. Hang in there and fly your connie like a Merlin!

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
I got in a furball with my connie against a freelancer a couple weeks ago. It was like rhinos mating. I threw every missile I had at him and suddenly realized why they call them MISS iles. Every dang one of them missed! But those big lasers cut him up pretty good, and I guess he finally had no other choice but to ram me at full speed(I invited him to join TEST, but he didn't reply)I lived BTW, he died gloriously. But the missiles on all these ships remind me of the first sparrows they tried on the F4 Phantom, it didn't matter if you had a solid lock on a 747 10 feet in front of you, you still had a damn good chance of missing. I think we'll all do better with the connies once we fully man the turrets and the gunners get trained.

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
I took the Connie out again today (I was home sick) and actually had some fun. Flew a Comm Array mission and nuked several pirates, using SCM, lots of strafing, and a combination of close range missile shots (~500m) as well as some nice long range (~1500m) laser shots.

My system lags terribly during combat on comm array missions changes based on what I am flying, best in my Gunfighter Delta but worst in the Connie. Still was able to enjoy killing some bad guys with glorious explosions. Also killed a random opportunist who jumped me near Koleah (Avenger I think). Put into a Cry-Astro, landed the repaired ship back at Olisar and let some random strangers take it out for fun.

The Mk4 Connie is a gorgeous ship (not just one of the best looking in game but I think in nearly all of SciFi) and when she gets her mojo she will be a beast.

'Gimp

Forgot your password?