Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Hey y'all,

Check this out: http://www.bowleylockcompany.com/how-it-works.html

It's a lock for your door and comes with a cool key. Some Canadians thought to combine technology from the 1900's and the 900's to get this cool lock. It's unpickable since you can't really use picks on it.

I like weird locks and since I just bought a house, I've decided to install these beauties. It's not immune to drills or someone kicking in the door, but it's pretty good up against picks. I decided it provided enough security and has an awesome key. The keys are actually pretty thick and durable.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
I used to do locksmith work and there was this saying: "locks are to keep honest people out."
download.jpg

That said, looks pretty nifty! Just don't lose your keys and and @StdDev is right, a dog with an angry bark can prevent a lot of crime.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
You also need a good strong solid door and strong door frame that's mounted real well to the wall, otherwise they'll just pry it open with a crowbar or smash it open with a sledgehammer. If you're doing that then you should also make sure the windows can't be just broken. Also to go with the dog like @StdDev said, if you're in a somewhat rural area, if you have a gravel driveway you can hear people coming, or at least your dogs will definitely hear them coming.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Well I guess it is intended to keep out random breaking entrance idea some people do, to make it harder and hopefully they move on..
But if a burglar really want to break in there is no lock in the world that keep a burglar out if they are good enough they have other ways to get in.

Shore look like a smart lock and a cool invention, I would buy it if I had a house for shore :D

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Ya know what else is unpickable ?
View attachment 6378
just sayin....
PUPPY! Whoseagooddoggy? Whooseagooddoggy? YOU ARE!

I used to do locksmith work and there was this saying: "locks are to keep honest people out."
View attachment 6380
That said, looks pretty nifty! Just don't lose your keys and and @StdDev is right, a dog with an angry bark can prevent a lot of crime.
Yup. The lock is to make sure that they have to use forced entry to get in. Looks better on the police report than "everything looked fine. Owner probably left the door unlocked."

You also need a good strong solid door and strong door frame that's mounted real well to the wall, otherwise they'll just pry it open with a crowbar or smash it open with a sledgehammer. If you're doing that then you should also make sure the windows can't be just broken. Also to go with the dog like @StdDev said, if you're in a somewhat rural area, if you have a gravel driveway you can hear people coming, or at least your dogs will definitely hear them coming.
That's next on the list. I need to check if the doors are good enough and the frame is solid. I don't have any windows on the ground floor, so that makes security a little easier. Pretty much the only way into my home from down there is the 2 doors that come from the entry and the garage. They could get a ladder and break the glass on my sliding door on the second floor, but you can't stop everything. Makes it pretty obvious that you're stealing something when you do things like that, ha.

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Well I guess it is intended to keep out random breaking entrance idea some people do, to make it harder and hopefully they move on..
But if a burglar really want to break in there is no lock in the world that keep a burglar out if they are good enough they have other ways to get in.

Shore look like a smart lock and a cool invention, I would buy it if I had a house for shore :smile:
It's a fancy lock with a cool key that does it's job as a lock well. It also makes it easy for me to spot my house key. :)

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Why do you need locks on your doors if you live in Canada?
I don't live in Canada. I live in Tempe, Arizona. Canada was nice enough to sell me locks since they don't use them. I'm in the part of the world once known as 'the Wild West'.

Before you ask, yes I wear boots, yes I have owned a horse, no I can't use a lasso but my dad can teach me, yes I own a gun and yes one of them is a revolver, no I don't go to the saloon, and yes Tombstone, Arizona is a real place.

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank

Found the key...
That is not something you want to be carrying in my neighborhood. Once one shot goes off, everyone else brings out theirs so if you're not ready for a real gun show, you'd best stick to power tools. Mexican standoffs are real... don't listen to their lies!

Nice choice of keys though.

Forgot your password?