Could an Aurora beat Constellation Taurus?

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Analysis says: maybe. Depends entirely if an Aurora can output enough DPS to overcome shield regen.

The thing with Taurus is, it's a cargo transport. It's supposed to have some defenses, but the current turnspeed makes it entirely ineffective against small ships, that can just hang around in the 160 degree blindspot.
Best strategy with Taurus would be just decoupled afterburn, would probably manage to shake that Aurora that way. Or at least get it out of the blind spot for the turret. No way to defeat the Aurora tho, but I guess it kinda works for escaping.

Essentially, you'd just be running away from, well, anything but an Argo.

AuroraAndTaurus2.png

Dragonslaya54

Space Marshal
May 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Nilrune
Theoretically it could but man is it going to take FOREVER to destroy that Connie. Last weekend I tried to destroy one with my hornet using 2 the Tarantula Mk3's, laser repeaters on the nose cannon, and the size 4 Combine Ballistic Cannon and it took AT LEAST 5mins or more. Using an Aurora to take one down... I dont even want to know how long it takes to blow one up.

Reactions: AstroSam

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Oh, did they buff it's shields/hull? Well, that's nice then. But yeah, obviously I'm not awfully concerned about auroras, it's just that if an Aurora could theoretically take a connie down, then there isn't really a ship that's not a threat.

Basically, what I'd like to see is less main-guns and a couple more turrets at the aft. Like smaller, automated turrets or something.

Dragonslaya54

Space Marshal
May 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Nilrune
Well actually, when the update comes around the snub fighter should be the counter effect for having such a massive blindspot.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
The Taurus doesn't have a snub....Really, it's a giant freelancer in terms of being able to defend itself...that said, it's a space truck, not a combat ship. If you want combat, you get the Andromeda or the Phoenix.....or even better, a dedicated combat ship...

Dragonslaya54

Space Marshal
May 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Nilrune
The Taurus doesn't have a snub....Really, it's a giant freelancer in terms of being able to defend itself...that said, it's a space truck, not a combat ship. If you want combat, you get the Andromeda or the Phoenix.....or even better, a dedicated combat ship...
Thanks forgot about that detail, maybe you could fill the cargo bay with explosives and dump it onto the enemy, cause there is a feature in the brochure about an emergency release for cargo.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
With sufficient skill and ingenuity, anything is possible. The citizens of Troy hardly felt that their city could be destroyed by a wooden horse. If you're a fan of Brad Pitt movies, you'd know they were wrong.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
1 v 1 a aurora can defeat a Connie fairly easily IMHO.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Load the Aurora with 2x Suckerpunches to disable the Taurus and you can put whatever else you like on and take your time pulling it to pieces.

Fighting cargo ships won't exist preditor and prey, the original intention for the constellation was supposed to be space superiority but that is now a long time ago and look at the nerf to the Freelancer to make it a target instead of being able to defend itself.

Cargo craft are going to be fish in a barrel in systems without UEE security - no amount of profit is going to be worth the risk of flying without a support wing and because hiring a support wing will cost you credits wiping out your profit margin, there is no point flying those routes so they just won't be taken advantage of.

That is unless they rebalance. Which they are going to have to - the hurricane potentially with an s7 capital ship hardpoint? Somebody has made a boo-boo. We know it's alpha however there is going to be a porta-potty worth of butt-hurt unless they rebalance and rebalance well.

My suggestion:

Have Fighter and Capital Classes of weapons. Fig class is what we have now, Cap class is going to be size 1, size 2, size 3 etc just like fighters but on a whole other power level. This takes the issue of a fighter with an s7 away because a Capital s7 is going to be on a 10x or 100x multiplier and be so much more powerful. Freelancer can be the largest cargo ship with BIG fighter weapons, s4/s5 Connie Taurus can be the smallest cargo ship with a single small s1/s2 cap class mount if they turret is removed. An s1 Cap class should be able to one or two shot a fighter if only they could land the hit...

Last edited:
Reactions: maynard

Dragonslaya54

Space Marshal
May 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Nilrune
Someone post a video of someone using an aurora to destroy a connie and have them NOT use the bottom turret for accurate results!

Forgot your password?