Couple of questions regarding Artemis Division comms

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
Will the Artemis Division be eschewing comm systems external to the game (i.e. Mumble) in favor of keeping it more RP. I think doing so would be a good idea for immersion, however it potentially could cause issues.

Will members of AD be required to stay IC when dealing win non-AD Testies or would it just be less than desirable to go OOC? If so, would we be expected to RP their OOC statements?

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
^ This is a good point.

I'm curious about in game comms. I would expect there to be a robust system in game and could even be an RP mechanic where you are not always able to communicate with those you need to. I like proximity comms in mmo's and would love to see my webcam routed to an in cockpit panel that anyone could see.

Arrangingstars

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Arrangingstars
Well. I kind of go over something similar in my post (seen here: https://testsquadron.com/threads/rp-within-the-verse-noob-friendly-guide.3626/ ). So, roleplay in Star Citizen, not just in TEST will be very natural. Even under simple, or high-stress situations RP or non-RP. It depends on how deep you want to go with your character development and how much time and effort you invest into playing that persona. If you slip in and out of character, no one is going to care. My character will basically be me for instance! But.. in space and probably be more confident than I am normally along with some other character flaws/perks.

Essentially, no one is going to MAKE you do anything. That's simply not fun. You play how you want to play, roleplay how you want to roleplay, etc. Of course as Artemis Division officers, we'll make sure you have things to do, stuff to look forward to, and people to keep in contact with, even have our own side-story. You can choose how much of it is actually character play, you, a mix of both, or maybe you're a drifter and only RP here and there - but that's ok!

Will members of AD be required to stay IC when dealing win non-AD Testies or would it just be less than desirable to go OOC?
Simply put, no. You will not be required to do anything, unless you come into some sort of officer/leadership position of Artemis and have pre-planned some sort of event to attend. In that case it's likely that other people would know "the roleplayers" are going to be busy and not expect us to be around.
If so, would we be expected to RP their OOC statements?
Again, this is completely player preference. No one is expected to do anything but have fun. If people hassle you about replying ICly or OOCly, they'll get over it. Not everyone is going to see eye to eye on certain matters, but so far I feel safe in TEST as a roleplayer and don't foresee anyone from the "non-RP" side of things getting too butthurt (some likely might) but that's all part of the experience and learning how to interact with certain people or not interact with certain people on a person to person basis.

I'm curious about in game comms. I would expect there to be a robust system in game and could even be an RP mechanic where you are not always able to communicate with those you need to.
This is where things border roleplay and non-roleplay. Artemis Division will likely try to use solely in-game comms for RP purposes. Meaning, if we're out of contact we're out of contact and oh well, you have what you have and you got who you got. However, and this is where things can border non-RP - two AD DMs may need to confer privately through Mumble to make sure things are happening in a timely manner, if there was an event previously planned. Some people can't sit around all day/night roleplaying, so we may have to make some exceptions to trying to stick to in-game comms. Now, onto another point entirely, say we need help from the majority of "non-RP" Testies. I've been asked in this case if we respond to "OOC" text/mumble VOIP if a "Call To Arms" is enacted. In this case, of course we would make an exception. However, that doesn't mean you have to attend if you're pre-occupied (TEST is all about freedom of playstyle and community ... and beer), and it doesn't mean you can't stay in character either even if you have to temporarily lay off the "RP gas" just a little bit.

If anyone else has anymore questions I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability. Excuse my fragmented/drawn out thoughts, it's 6:30AM and I haven't slept yet lol..

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
I would imagine everything depends on what in game comms there are. I think there may be 2-3 levels of in game comms; local comms where someone is in earshot of you. Radio/internal comms that is spread with people who are tuned in (either through their hud or internal ship announcements, which happens to be something I'd love to do IC) which would be semi-local, restricted to within a location like a space station rather than a single room. Then there would be ship to ship comms which could be everything form private chats to fleet wide chats, but would probably limited by system (or 2). Finally we'd have mumble at the top which obviously has no limitations, clear communication for all regardless of location.

Would make sense to me that if those examples are correct (which I have little evidence to prove) then all in game chat would lend itself incredibly well to RP, and it might even be enough for me to consider RPing again. Mumble would make sense to be non RP chat.

As for RPing dealing with non Rpers, Well that's just part of MMOs, in my limited experience most people won't be harsh about it, but don't expect people to suddenly be IC because you are.

Ultimately TEST is TEST, don't expect our RP division to be 100% IC only hard-core people, I extremely doubt anyone is going to get mad if you slip up, from what I've seen 90% of people will be nice and help you understand what is going on etc.

That's just me throwing my weight in on a subject I have no real place on, so feel free to ignore me :P

Reactions: o-BHG-o
Forgot your password?