CRYTEK CONCERN THREAD

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I don't understand how anyone could just not get paid for 6 months and accept that. How do you pay the bills? How do you keep your house? How the hell do you afford food? If that paycheck is even one day late, I am making phone calls. If it's a week late, I am driving to someone's house and introducing them to Mr. Hyde. That visit either ends up with a final paycheck or jail time. Either way, I will no longer be employed.

6 months though?! If you're stupid enough to still be showing up to work after six months without pay, that's on you. Hell, if you're still showing up after even ONE month without pay, you're really bad at life. It doesn't stop there though. The article said, and here's the best part, AGAIN. This has happened before and they still work there?! I don't know whether to laugh hysterically at their stupidity, or be angry that they're a member of the same human race that I am.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. This is the same industry that gave us No Man's Sky, Super Mario Run's no offline play policy, and every free to play (and pay to win) game. The industry rips us off all the time. So it's not a large step to rip off their employees.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Hmmm... So Crysis 3 was a huge financial failure with a development budged of 66 million, and only 205 thousand copies sold first month after the release. To make profit there, they would've needed to sell each copy for over $300.

Now, the development of Crysis 3, they had about 150 people working over 38 months. Now, sure, not all of that 66 million is going towards the salaries, but dividing the expenses per employee per month, you'll still have like $11.5k, I'm guessing that when the Crytek devs were getting paid, they had pretty decent salaries. Which is probably why some of them can afford to and will stay even if they're not getting paid for 6 months. Obviously, a lot of them bailed the ship tho.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
the issue is that SC graphics will age, and there is limitation in the current engine. With no new Crysis engine, what will happen in the future if they have to update the graphics? Will they need to restart with unreal engine or frostbite? Crysis engine can not just be updated forever without the base being updated also. Maybe SC will make their own engine eventually if they want to stick with the current engine *shrug*

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
CIG needs to focus on getting their game released before they worry about updates years down the road. WoW is still selling copies with shitty 2004 graphics. If there are good crytek people out there hire them as needed/wanted, and then go back to worrying about 2.6 and beyond.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
CIG needs to focus on getting their game released before they worry about updates years down the road. WoW is still selling copies with shitty 2004 graphics. If there are good crytek people out there hire them as needed/wanted, and then go back to worrying about 2.6 and beyond.
lol sounds like someone is a little too anxious for 2.6......

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I'm just not as CONCERNed as some about the stuff that might affect the game in 5-10 years. I'm more worried about the 50 meter targets than the ones out at 900 meters. Know what I mean?
I do, but you cant have everyone working there ALL contributing at the same time....its like asking the janitor of a big company to call all the shots of how that company should run. Everyone has a different job which cant all be done at the same time.

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
I do, but you cant have everyone working there ALL contributing at the same time....its like asking the janitor of a big company to call all the shots of how that company should run. Everyone has a different job which cant all be done at the same time.
I think that either a: I've failed to communicate effectively, or b: I'm falling afoul of another of your mini-trolling campaigns. If it's the first, you have my apologies. I will clarify. If it's the second, I will do my best to answer your questions three and cross the bridge in as expeditious a manner as possible :)

Clarification response:

I agree with your above statement completely. My intent with regards to this thread was to suggest only 2 things:

1: I don't care about Crytek's shitty business practices.
2: I feel there are more important things to worry about than #1.

Trolling response:

Answer to bridge troll question #1: African Swallow or European Swallow?
*@printimus flies from bridge and plummets to his doom*
*drops mic and crosses bridge*

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I think that either a: I've failed to communicate effectively, or b: I'm falling afoul of another of your mini-trolling campaigns. If it's the first, you have my apologies. I will clarify. If it's the second, I will do my best to answer your questions three and cross the bridge in as expeditious a manner as possible :slight_smile:

Clarification response:

I agree with your above statement completely. My intent with regards to this thread was to suggest only 2 things:

1: I don't care about Crytek's shitty business practices.
2: I feel there are more important things to worry about than #1.

Trolling response:

Answer to bridge troll question #1: African Swallow or European Swallow?
*@printimus flies from bridge and plummets to his doom*
*drops mic and crosses bridge*
Hahaha, I'm not trying to troll you this time man. (i didnt know i was acquiring that type of reputation)

I think it's good news for CIG cause they can poach crytek experts instead of hiring new guys that dont know the code very well.
Basically, itll be faster and less bugs with the experts. And thats why you SHOULD care about crytek goin under. (just good news for us players)

MikeNificent

Space Marshal
Sep 24, 2016
RSI Handle
MikeNificent
Hahaha, I'm not trying to troll you this time man. (i didnt know i was acquiring that type of reputation)

I think it's good news for CIG cause they can poach crytek experts instead of hiring new guys that dont know the code very well.
Basically, itll be faster and less bugs with the experts. And thats why you SHOULD care about crytek goin under. (just good news for us players)
I'll turn the care knob up to 3, in the hopes that CIG holds some disenfranchised Crytek employees to CR's bossom and he feeds them momma bird to baby bird style :)

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I don't understand how anyone could just not get paid for 6 months and accept that. How do you pay the bills? How do you keep your house? How the hell do you afford food? If that paycheck is even one day late, I am making phone calls. If it's a week late, I am driving to someone's house and introducing them to Mr. Hyde. That visit either ends up with a final paycheck or jail time. Either way, I will no longer be employed.

6 months though?! If you're stupid enough to still be showing up to work after six months without pay, that's on you. Hell, if you're still showing up after even ONE month without pay, you're really bad at life. It doesn't stop there though. The article said, and here's the best part, AGAIN. This has happened before and they still work there?! I don't know whether to laugh hysterically at their stupidity, or be angry that they're a member of the same human race that I am.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised though. This is the same industry that gave us No Man's Sky, Super Mario Run's no offline play policy, and every free to play (and pay to win) game. The industry rips us off all the time. So it's not a large step to rip off their employees.
@Bruttle I've been in a very similar position (I'm a VFX/3D generalist) and I can perfectly understand why someone can't afford to leave his job in the CG/Games industry. The simple answer is, that he either finishes the project he signed the contract for, and hopes to get paid, or quits, and never gets a dime for his work. Also, quitting in the middle of a project, will not land you in a better job in the short term.
It is also common practice to convince workers over the years that they are too worthless to go work anywhere else, and they shouldn't even try looking for a new job. They should be happy to work there, even if they don't get paid. Then there's also other human factors, like actually liking your work, your coworkers, the team you're in , and so on, so you might not want to leave if not necessary, and just hope for the best. Change is hard, but there comes a time when one must. Repeatedly not getting paid for such long periods is such a time.
Sadly this is how the real world works for a lot of us.
I'm eternally grateful to the person who helped me get out of such a job by showing me that I'm actually good enough to work anywhere in the industry, and offering an alternative that meant I would get less work, but paid for every single one. From this new position I could afford to move around to other jobs without risking my family's livelihood, but it took a lot of time, well over a year to get there.

As to whether this is good or bad for Star Citizen, I got no clue.
Crytek is a huge company, lot of ppl will come and go over time. If they end up at CiG, it's all the better for us.
On the other hand, as others mentioned above, continued research and support of cryengine is important for Star Citizen. But, if enough ppl from Crytek end up at CiG, maybe they can do this without Crytek. Also the engine has been modified to such extent that I'm not sure if much of the new cryengine stuff can make it into the CiGTek version.

Riekopo

Vice Admiral
Mar 4, 2015
RSI Handle
Riekopo
Poor Crytek. I feel bad for the employees. I encourage everyone to go buy some Crytek games to support them. I really enjoyed the presentation and story of Ryse for example.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
@Bruttle I've been in a very similar position (I'm a VFX/3D generalist) and I can perfectly understand why someone can't afford to leave his job in the CG/Games industry. The simple answer is, that he either finishes the project he signed the contract for, and hopes to get paid, or quits, and never gets a dime for his work. Also, quitting in the middle of a project, will not land you in a better job in the short term.
It is also common practice to convince workers over the years that they are too worthless to go work anywhere else, and they shouldn't even try looking for a new job. They should be happy to work there, even if they don't get paid. Then there's also other human factors, like actually liking your work, your coworkers, the team you're in , and so on, so you might not want to leave if not necessary, and just hope for the best. Change is hard, but there comes a time when one must. Repeatedly not getting paid for such long periods is such a time.
Sadly this is how the real world works for a lot of us.
I'm eternally grateful to the person who helped me get out of such a job by showing me that I'm actually good enough to work anywhere in the industry, and offering an alternative that meant I would get less work, but paid for every single one. From this new position I could afford to move around to other jobs without risking my family's livelihood, but it took a lot of time, well over a year to get there.
Wow. That sounds like a nightmare. My opinion of game developers is officially lower than it was. I never ceases to amaze me how much bullshit is considered acceptable simply because it's the norm for that industry. In any other industry, behavior like that would get them laughed right out of business or worse. In almost any business, it would get you turned into the labor board. In most businesses, it would get you sued. In the construction trade, it would get you put in a hospital.

I'm glad you got out of there though. Talk about getting fed a shit sammich...

Forgot your password?