Data.p4k how game uses it? and why used instead of data folder (2.6.3)?(exception: space/compression

blairrafeknox

Ensign
Feb 8, 2018
RSI Handle
Kead123
How does the game use the data.p4k (for me 38.3 GB) and why do you put the files in .p4k?

i have an empty "data" folder (i delete but still shows after i lauch 3.0.0/3.0.1) which was originally use 2.6.3 to store files from data.p4k

When data.p4k is extracted i goes into the data folder and the size is nearly double (67.9 GB). And i see there is 7-zip in rsi launcher/resources folder ( despite the fact that every time i launch the game the data folder is still empty)

i've hear from people who illegally pirate games that use repack/compressed say that the installation/extract takes longer than the original sizes.

As stated in the first sentence. How do the game(Star citizen 3.0.1) use Data.p4k and why put the files( usually in data folder (2.6.3) and compress it into data.p4k?

Reactions: CosmicTrader

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It's probably because we are still in Alpha. Why author all the files into an ISO or whatever game packager if you are going to have to strip half of them out to work on them or update them?

Purely assumption but it sounds right.

Reactions: Radegast74

blairrafeknox

Ensign
Feb 8, 2018
RSI Handle
Kead123
I was thinking that this probably the reason why most of us have low fps on Crusaders.
As there is no files in the data folder when launched and when extracting it takes a long time.
So assuming that it is being repeatedly extracted, when moving, landing et.c with the exception of just standing still.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
As someone who used to do a lot of modding/pirating, I can tell you that it's actually fairly standard for games to store important files in compressed form. Both as a security measure, a way to reduce the time of installation, and other reasons i can't remember off the top of my head.
The difference between a game compressed for the purposes of piracy and one compressed for other reasons is that pirated games value small file size over everything else, to reduce the time/bandwidth it takes to download/upload it, thus making it less likely you'd be detected. This means that they are exponentially more compressed than regular games, and often either take exponentially more time to install, or suffer from significant errors, depending on the type of compression used.
As far as modding goes, I'd say at least half (probably way more) of the games I've modded have used similar file structures (eg. pak files, bsa files, package files, etc).
It's definitely got absolutely nothing to do with the fps. It's theoretically possible that they'd do it the way you explained in a way that'd seriously affect performance, but they'd have to be doing it in an extremely odd way, or be relatively inexperienced at game design. I'm fairly confident that neither of those are the case.

Reactions: CosmicTrader

blairrafeknox

Ensign
Feb 8, 2018
RSI Handle
Kead123
As someone who used to do a lot of modding/pirating, I can tell you that it's actually fairly standard for games to store important files in compressed form. Both as a security measure, a way to reduce the time of installation, and other reasons i can't remember off the top of my head.
The difference between a game compressed for the purposes of piracy and one compressed for other reasons is that pirated games value small file size over everything else, to reduce the time/bandwidth it takes to download/upload it, thus making it less likely you'd be detected. This means that they are exponentially more compressed than regular games, and often either take exponentially more time to install, or suffer from significant errors, depending on the type of compression used.
As far as modding goes, I'd say at least half (probably way more) of the games I've modded have used similar file structures (eg. pak files, bsa files, package files, etc).
It's definitely got absolutely nothing to do with the fps. It's theoretically possible that they'd do it the way you explained in a way that'd seriously affect performance, but they'd have to be doing it in an extremely odd way, or be relatively inexperienced at game design. I'm fairly confident that neither of those are the case.
thnxs for that explanation
btw i don't pirates games

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
Reactions: DirectorGunner
Forgot your password?