Day 1: Uh oh

SweetDee

Vice Admiral
Jan 7, 2017
RSI Handle
SweetDee
Is this it? A stripped down 2.7 locked to 1 moon for 15 minutes because the server's memory leak will crash everyone if they don't reset all assets 4 times an hour?

No real atmospheric flight physics, no mobi-glass, no atmosphere burn entry effects?

I get the bugs, even though the Nox spinning issue was frightening me of their actual progress, but they pulled nearly everything that makes 3.0... 3.0.

I think I just watched a stream of 2.7 with item 2.0.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Or they just held back on stuff for the true release of 3.0 so no spoilers where given out.
Just showing what already been shown not reveling anything new not yet seen, that they want to show of on the big show on Friday...
Which is how I see it..

:beers: :beers:

Schmunkel

Space Marshal
Jul 2, 2014
RSI Handle
schmunkel
Is this it? A stripped down 2.7 locked to 1 moon for 15 minutes because the server's memory leak will crash everyone if they don't reset all assets 4 times an hour?

No real atmospheric flight physics, no mobi-glass, no atmosphere burn entry effects?

I get the bugs, even though the Nox spinning issue was frightening me of their actual progress, but they pulled nearly everything that makes 3.0... 3.0.

Me from 2 years ago would have argued against all of this and claimed they are holding back. Current me thinks you are right and that they are much further behind with a full featured 3.0 than anyone thinks.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
they probably had to decide several weeks ago what they were going to show at GamesCom. They probably forked this over at that point, a month or two ago, and then stripped things down even more so they knew what was there would work.

I think these conventions can play havoc with the real work being done on a game, hopefully they are minimizing the impact.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
From what I saw and heard, this was the full 3.0 and it is "mostly" stable. It was said at the beginning that if they disabled things like Quantum Travel because they wanted to keep people mostly in the same area. If they enabled it, they would be able to go to other places in the Crusader system. Even in that version, you could still travel there, but it would take almost a day to do so.

As you can see from the livestream, it was pretty buggy. I counted something like 4 server crashes and 10 client crashes over the course of 4 hours. The client crashes were from the live streamers and does not count the rest of the people playing.

As you can see, it needs work. This is why they are not releasing it right now. They felt it would frustrate a lot of people if they were to try and play something in this state. From Disco Lando's interview with Brian Chambers of Foundry 42: "Code for 3.0 is pretty solid, but right now, it's about getting the bugs out so that it's a solid play experience. They don't want to release a product that will frustrate players. Right now, their internal QA has plenty of bugs to keep them busy and they don't need to go to the Evocati. They will release to the Evocati once their internal Q/A has it pretty good. Then the Avacados will come back with plenty of other bugs to fix before it can go to the test servers/live servers"

Yes, there are also some things missing. Falling from orbit to the ground on the Nox should have killed DJ Knight. It did not. Disco Lando was very quick to point out that this would need to be fixed.

It also seemed that no matter how high you went, you were still under gravity influence. That may need to change as well.

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner

TBH there's some assumptions on your part there above.

• The booth is a RIDE attraction, limiting to 15 minutes has nothing to do with performance or memory leaks or whatever other unrelated reason people come up with. This is common sense if you're not coming to a pre-conclusion before even evaluating reasons why "anything".
  • The nox flipping over on it's side is a very very very small issue and I personally think it adds to charm because same happens if you're not careful with your IRL bike.
  • There's nothing about this that's "2.7". It's a Demo build for an event only. We'll only know the in house build number sometime later if someone spotted it and shared on the build leak subreddits.
  • I saw atmospheric physics where Knight had his gladius wing blown off in atmo and had a hell of a time trying to land.
  • Mobi-glass was disabled since it's there for missions right now, nothing much else. Missions take for a NEW players typically far longer than 15 minutes to complete, it makes no sense to have a 15 minute demo build include meaningful missions, therefore having mobiglass in the build would serve no purpose and would only distract new players who'd hit F1 instinctively for help or to test to see what F1 does.
have a beer.. relax.. and find something else to distract you. It's gonna be okay. We'll get 3.0 soon enough

Last edited:

SweetDee

Vice Admiral
Jan 7, 2017
RSI Handle
SweetDee
As you can see, it needs work. This is why they are not releasing it right now. They felt it would frustrate a lot of people if they were to try and play something in this state. From Disco Lando's interview with Brian Chambers of Foundry 42: "Code for 3.0 is pretty solid, but right now, it's about getting the bugs out so that it's a solid play experience. They don't want to release a product that will frustrate players. Right now, their internal QA has plenty of bugs to keep them busy and they don't need to go to the Evocati. They will release to the Evocati once their internal Q/A has it pretty good. Then the Avacados will come back with plenty of other bugs to fix before it can go to the test servers/live servers"
Totally get that, but why say things about removing all these features to keep people in a small area, when in fact the truth is "its not ready".

I dunno maybe I took a lot of Disco's comments the wrong way, but they seemed misleading from the truth that 3.0 is not ready. Brian Chambers is Mr. Honest and helped calm the waters by being frank about everything in development

• Mobi-glass was disabled since it's there for missions right now, nothing much else. Missions take for a NEW players typically far longer than 15 minutes to complete, it makes no sense to have a 15 minute demo build include meaningful missions, therefore having mobiglass in the build would serve no purpose and would only distract new players who'd hit F1 instinctively for help or to test to see what F1 does.
Personally I put seeing the new mobi-glass fairly high up on the list of 3.0 features that is "cool" and I'd presume CIG would want to show that tech off...its pretty boss if you ask me. Just pull the missions out of it or make it just show a movable star map.

I rarely go into an expressive panic mode, but this really put some doubt in my mind as to their deliverables. Back in December 2016 when people were saying 3.0 was going to arrive by spring or summer, I was reassuring people it would be "November 2017". I'm kicking myself for being that optimistic, that's not like me!

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I was reassuring people it would be "November 2017". I'm kicking myself for being that optimistic, that's not like me!
You see item 2.0 in action, you see planet tech in action, in a publicly accessible (albeit an event only demo) demo. That, for me, speaks volumes toward trust than just ATV videos which can be entirely controlled/doctored. Not saying any ATVs are, just saying it's a possibility other indie developers might take advantage of. You can't doctor a public demo.. it either works or doesn't. And for the most part, it looks like it's working. If you want more access, be a member of the press, and get credentials to visit their press only booth. I've done that before for other things, it's not hard on your own dime, you just need a publishing platform that's subscribed to by enough readers or large enough group. Other than that, wait till Friday for the full presentation, and keep tabs on the schedule/ATV videos. In mean time.. there's plenty of other games to play in meantime as well as more pledging opportunities with CIG to help fund the project further if you feel so inclined. TBH.. this has now become the game that'd I've most contributed to in my life. There's been cell phone games with microtransactions that my dumb ass has spent (over a 2 to 3 year period) close to a few grand on. At least with Star Citizen... it's helping develop the game.. not just padding developer's wallets.

A solution to your proposed issue, I would not promise other people delivery dates which you have no control over. Saying to anyone that "oh.. 3.0 will release by Nov 2017" in any serious fashion.. is reckless to yourself, your friendships, and the trust others have in your judgement. You have NO control when 3.0 releases and neither do I... but I am aware of this, and so I don't promise anyone a damn thing about SC delivery dates in any serious nature. If I do.. I'm just goofing around... not being serious....

oh gawd.. this post / novel I wrote is way too serious.. fml.. lol
Oh.. right! We'll have 3.0 within 3 months :fingers_crossed::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

TL;DR
Making promises or predictions for things you can't control by any measure, will lead you down a road of unhappiness... you'll be happier if you let go of that notion of false control. (being drunk helps a lot)

Last edited:

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca

And yet people cry that non Backers can play "their paid 3.0" while they can't.

planetary flight physics appears real odd. Also there might be good (physics) reasons why it is that way. You know "overpowered thrusters", low g on the moon, athmospheric density and so on. (IDK alot about the game physics what is planned and what has been yet enabeld)

athmosphere burn entry effects: was wondering that too because of all those reentry screenshots i expected to see some on the stream. (well i havn't watched it all so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

Well what i see so far mobiglass and the UI seems to cause the most "blocker bugs". So obviously thats something they needed to disable.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
They probably forked this over at that point, a month or two ago, and then stripped things down even more so they knew what was there would work.
What was there didn't actually work. Someone didn't manage to click the pilot seat of the new, reworked Aurora, which was supposed to be built around Item 2.0.
As you can see, it needs work. This is why they are not releasing it right now. They felt it would frustrate a lot of people if they were to try and play something in this state.
You see item 2.0 in action, you see planet tech in action
The frustrating thing to me is that the stuff that's not working now wasn't working 1 year ago. There were server side crashes (in a controlled environment), Item 2.0 is clearly buggy (see the Aurora pilot seat example above); the streamers had to move back and forth a lot to be able to click stuff. Someone clipped a ship through a mountain. A Nox went spinning. The outposts seem to be hollow shells (didn't notice anyone being able to click on anything inside an outpost, but I might be wrong here).
So what is done? Because I have a hard time seeing tangible progress. It's just a year's worth of bits that are not working. I know it's Alpha, but it's an Alpha that needs to consistently impress the backers so that the money keeps coming in.

On a semi-related note, they are currently offering the "Cutlass Starter Pack Gamescom2017" right now as a promotion, right? Starter pack for new backers.
I went to the RSI website, clicked "Store" and the highlighted item, right in the middle of the screen, is "Rough and Tumbril", which is unavailable. You have to go to Store > Game Packages and scroll down to get to the current promotion. That's if you already know about it.
It's like marketing doesn't even care anymore.

<SALT MODE: DISENGAGE>

Last edited:

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
One of the first things they did this morning was to confirm that these are the latest builds of 3.0. They just have a few features disabled. The one being played today was either from earlier this morning or from yesterday. In fact, based on the fact they were putting in rollback scripts, it looks like they may also be setting things up to patch the game tomorrow.

Forgot your password?