Death of an SSD

Sethious

Space Marshal
Staff member
Jan 1, 2014
RSI Handle
SethiousFel
Well, one of the SSD's on the woman's machine died today. An OCZ Vertex 4, which has led to all sorts of fun for me today. To compound the issue, the machine gave me warning last night with a weird error message, but sadly after having just binge watched Season 7 of Parks and Rec I didn't read it and hard shutdown the computer.

I had two Vertex 4's in Raid 0, both purchased at the exact same time and one fails a little under three years of use. Luckily for me I purchased a few new Samsung SSD's for my new build and have enough to redo her machine, but sadly recovering anything not backed up will be an issue with only have of a raid surviving. To make matter more fun, in order to get Windows to detect the new drive I had to disable raid on the BIOS which will be fun when it comes to reenabling it and making sure the other RAID array is working.

Well, I just felt like ranting while I work on this machine, cheers to OCZ and their shitty SSD's!

Yex

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Yex
OCZ doesnt exist anymore for a reason.
lel'd whenever I bought my SSD from them. Knew it was going to die.

Reactions: mromutt

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Thanks @Sethious for the heads up regarding OCZ SSDs.

I am saving for a SSD and am planning to get a Samsung SSD. This confirms my decision.

I hope you get your Ladies machine back up and running soon.

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
Thanks @Sethious for the heads up regarding OCZ SSDs.

I am saving for a SSD and am planning to get a Samsung SSD. This confirms my decision.

I hope you get your Ladies machine back up and running soon.
I'd avoid the Sammy for real. Especially, the newest non-enterprise. I would not get anything that isn't an Intel or Corsair anymore. But hey, what do I know? Sammy's just been failing left and right and having lots of issues in the Data Centers that I keep in contact. I don't sell SSD's really, anymore, but I still hear about everything and talk to everyone. I mean, I guess at the prices Sammy sells them, if you can risk one going bad on you, or you do not really care about reliable data transfer speeds over a long period of time, it is not that big of deal. Truth is, for Gaming, even a degraded or damaged SSD will still boot so much faster than a Mechanical. Anyway, just my two cents here. I have sold a few thousand SSD's though, and had to deal with RMA's and stuff.

Some bad links, but I MIGHT be able to find the actual links I am looking for. Probably not though, a lot of stuff to catch up on :(

http://www.zdnet.com/article/facebooks-ssd-experience/

https://www.racksolutions.com/news/data-center-trends/the-trouble-with-solid-state-drives-failure-fatigue-and-the-data-center/

Reactions: CosmicTrader

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I only bought an ssd from them once... And it just up and died out of nowhere on me lol only drive in my life to completely die on me

Reactions: Yex and CitizenDad

dubbzy

Admiral
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
dubbzy104
I'd avoid the Sammy for real. Especially, the newest non-enterprise. I would not get anything that isn't an Intel or Corsair anymore. But hey, what do I know? Sammy's just been failing left and right and having lots of issues in the Data Centers that I keep in contact. I don't sell SSD's really, anymore, but I still hear about everything and talk to everyone. I mean, I guess at the prices Sammy sells them, if you can risk one going bad on you, or you do not really care about reliable data transfer speeds over a long period of time, it is not that big of deal. Truth is, for Gaming, even a degraded or damaged SSD will still boot so much faster than a Mechanical. Anyway, just my two cents here. I have sold a few thousand SSD's though, and had to deal with RMA's and stuff.

Some bad links, but I MIGHT be able to find the actual links I am looking for. Probably not though, a lot of stuff to catch up on :(

http://www.zdnet.com/article/facebooks-ssd-experience/

https://www.racksolutions.com/news/data-center-trends/the-trouble-with-solid-state-drives-failure-fatigue-and-the-data-center/
I have the samsung 850 pro and haven't had any issues with it

Reactions: CitizenDad

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
Running twin ARC-100's here, guess I should keep an eye on them :confused:
I say the opposite actually, just run them and rape them (I love transferring data for no real good reason other than to just try and break something that is what I do best after all), in order to see if anything slows down or issues. Oh, you guys I actually found out that Adata has some decent Value. Long story but I would never admit this in public (You are all drunks and no one will ever believe you ragamuffs), but yeah Adata has some legit RAM and Storage Sols these days.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Have 8 samsung 850 evo/pro ssd. No issues except a couple days ago where one wouldnt be recognized by the system. I mostly blame this on my kids smacking it, as it was one that I move between my wife and mine computer and dont have a proper case...

Forgot your password?