• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KRDucky

Commander
May 4, 2020
RSI Handle
KRDucky
Well,

I got home from my Corporate IT job today and attempted to turn on my gaming rig from 2012. It took multiple attempts and while the power would come on, it would not POST. I finally resolved it with a 30/30/30 power reset.
Frankly Im not surprised as this has been going on for a couple of years now and I usually dont turn off my rig because of this issue.

I am now seriously considering upgrading from my i7-4770k / 16GB RAM system that has seen better days. For example, my Z87X-UD3H board lost 2 of the 4 DIMM slots over the years. And some of my USB ports no longer work.
I have my eye on AMD for sure but am not able to decide between a Threadripper 3rd gen or a 3950X/3900X. Thoughts? I have a bunch of SSDs and HDDs. I have a GTX 1080 and a Samsung 970 Evo Nvme drive on a NVMe-to-PCIe adapter card because my system does not have m.2 let alone NVMe M.2.
My ultimate goal is to either Dual Boot Linux and Windows, OR (my preferred route) Install Linux as the host OS and run Windows in a KVM w/ hardware passthrough and Looking Glass.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'm not sure what you're looking to use your future PC for productivity wise, but based on the mentioned ultimate goal I selected the Threadripper as it sounds like it would have the most potential for what you're seeking.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Well,

I got home from my Corporate IT job today and attempted to turn on my gaming rig from 2012. It took multiple attempts and while the power would come on, it would not POST. I finally resolved it with a 30/30/30 power reset.
Frankly Im not surprised as this has been going on for a couple of years now and I usually dont turn off my rig because of this issue.

I am now seriously considering upgrading from my i7-4770k / 16GB RAM system that has seen better days. For example, my Z87X-UD3H board lost 2 of the 4 DIMM slots over the years. And some of my USB ports no longer work.
I have my eye on AMD for sure but am not able to decide between a Threadripper 3rd gen or a 3950X/3900X. Thoughts? I have a bunch of SSDs and HDDs. I have a GTX 1080 and a Samsung 970 Evo Nvme drive on a NVMe-to-PCIe adapter card because my system does not have m.2 let alone NVMe M.2.
My ultimate goal is to either Dual Boot Linux and Windows, OR (my preferred route) Install Linux as the host OS and run Windows in a KVM w/ hardware passthrough and Looking Glass.
You already falling behind don't buy old tech because its already going to fall behind in a couple years. Intel is bringing these out this year in Q2.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199335/intel-core-i7-10700k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html $374.00
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199331/intel-core-i9-10900kf-processor-20m-cache-up-to-5-30-ghz.html $472.00
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199332/intel-core-i9-10900k-processor-20m-cache-up-to-5-30-ghz.html $488.00

• o7

KRDucky

Commander
May 4, 2020
RSI Handle
KRDucky
I'm not sure what you're looking to use your future PC for productivity wise, but based on the mentioned ultimate goal I selected the Threadripper as it sounds like it would have the most potential for what you're seeking.
That is kind of what I was originally going for but.....that price just for the CPU..... Im going to need a complete overhaul. New PSU, New Case, New Cooler, New RAM, Another GPU AND the CPU. I think I specced it out to be around $3k.

• o7

KRDucky

Commander
May 4, 2020
RSI Handle
KRDucky
hahahaha i understand your pain.
After the major and vast array of security flaws Intel has baked into their processors basically from the early 90s all in the quest for beating AMD at the IPC and Ghz battle, I refuse to run Intel on any of my systems and while AMD also suffers from some of the same flaws, they are not nearly as affected as Intel. Also, Intel has been failing to deliver on the 10nm promise for HOW MANY YEARS NOW?

• o7

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
After the major and vast array of security flaws Intel has baked into their processors basically from the early 90s all in the quest for beating AMD at the IPC and Ghz battle, I refuse to run Intel on any of my systems and while AMD also suffers from some of the same flaws, they are not nearly as affected as Intel. Also, Intel has been failing to deliver on the 10nm promise for HOW MANY YEARS NOW?
I admit that last security flaw from the last chipset was pretty bad but they always beat out AMD in raw performance and reliability. AMD by no means is a bad company they just dont build as well as Intel. Ive used both in the last 20 years several times switching back and forth. Ive never had an issue myself with any of my intel processors or motherboards for those processors. AMD on the other hand almost every motherboard or chipset ive had with them has had heating issues, freezing, cpu failure late in their lives. With that being said you are paying alot less for almost the same processesing power so it goes hand in hand i didnt expect them to last more than 3 years and after 3 years you should be upgrading anyhow so does it mater they fail after 3? in my opinion not really.

Now dont get me wrong i know there are plenty of people out there who never have problems with AMDs but they get intel chips that are complete garbage or crappy. its just luck of the draw for me intel works i havnt had issues yet prices though.... they are getting a bit above and beyond so i always go back to thinking maybe my next pc should be an AMD. We will see with this next set of chips comming out from both parties. I do plan to build something soon im just stuck doing my house.

You know that 10NM promise is comming!

• o7

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I love my 3900X.

I'll say save on the money you'll otherwise pay for a 3950x or Threadripper and grab a top of the line GPU instead (either 2080 Super, 2080ti or 3000 series next year).

• o7

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I am doing similar. My gaming PC is OOOOLD now - I7 3770k / 24GB ram (recently upgraded from 16 and it made a difference in SC) 512GB SSD and currently 1080TI.

I am going to upgrade without spending silly money but I am going to upgrade in a semi future proof way so I can bung a much faster CPU in later on.

So I am going with a Ryzen 6 3600 CPU for now as it is some 30% faster than my i7 in benchmarks yet it's cheap as chips! Gonna get a decent MSI motherboard to go with it and 32GB ram.

In a year or two then I plan to bung in a Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 9.

GPU wise I am actually moving from the 1080ti to a Radeon VII as it is slightly faster already and I am water block for CPU and GPU to push them both to the max and get another 10 - 20% performance.

Overall, I am not paying intel or particularly Nvidia's redonculous price gauging prices. Moving to team red!

KRDucky

Commander
May 4, 2020
RSI Handle
KRDucky
I admit that last security flaw from the last chipset was pretty bad but they always beat out AMD in raw performance and reliability. AMD by no means is a bad company they just dont build as well as Intel. Ive used both in the last 20 years several times switching back and forth. Ive never had an issue myself with any of my intel processors or motherboards for those processors. AMD on the other hand almost every motherboard or chipset ive had with them has had heating issues, freezing, cpu failure late in their lives. With that being said you are paying alot less for almost the same processesing power so it goes hand in hand i didnt expect them to last more than 3 years and after 3 years you should be upgrading anyhow so does it mater they fail after 3? in my opinion not really.

Now dont get me wrong i know there are plenty of people out there who never have problems with AMDs but they get intel chips that are complete garbage or crappy. its just luck of the draw for me intel works i havnt had issues yet prices though.... they are getting a bit above and beyond so i always go back to thinking maybe my next pc should be an AMD. We will see with this next set of chips comming out from both parties. I do plan to build something soon im just stuck doing my house.

You know that 10NM promise is comming!
Intel can no longer claim the IPC crown. They still hold the GHz crown (while also consuming the most power) but even AMD's mobile processors in the 4000 series crush Intel's latest 10th gen chips in IPC and other workloads. Ive been running AMD rigs for a long time all the way back to the 90s. I have yet to have a dud. Any issue I ever had came from the motherboard manufacturer like ASUS or Gigabyte.
the Intel 10nm promise is a lie. Just like cake.

• o7

KRDucky

Commander
May 4, 2020
RSI Handle
KRDucky
I am doing similar. My gaming PC is OOOOLD now - I7 3770k / 24GB ram (recently upgraded from 16 and it made a difference in SC) 512GB SSD and currently 1080TI.

I am going to upgrade without spending silly money but I am going to upgrade in a semi future proof way so I can bung a much faster CPU in later on.

So I am going with a Ryzen 6 3600 CPU for now as it is some 30% faster than my i7 in benchmarks yet it's cheap as chips! Gonna get a decent MSI motherboard to go with it and 32GB ram.

In a year or two then I plan to bung in a Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 9.

GPU wise I am actually moving from the 1080ti to a Radeon VII as it is slightly faster already and I am water block for CPU and GPU to push them both to the max and get another 10 - 20% performance.

Overall, I am not paying intel or particularly Nvidia's redonculous price gauging prices. Moving to team red!
I'd actually recommend a Gigabyte or ASRock board over MSI. MSI is having issues with quality control while Gigabyte has the best damn VRMs in the business (True 16-phase IR chips, no doublers) and ASRock makes some solid bang for the buck boards.

• Glorious

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I'd actually recommend a Gigabyte or ASRock board over MSI. MSI is having issues with quality control while Gigabyte has the best damn VRMs in the business (True 16-phase IR chips, no doublers) and ASRock makes some solid bang for the buck boards.

Thanks I'll check that out, I am out of touch when it comes to the latest and greatest. When I was a lad the MSI was the best you could get just about! :p

• o7

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I second the gigabyte claim. Ive used Gigabyte in almost everyone of my builds very durable work very well and hold together in high heat as well.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Intel can no longer claim the IPC crown. They still hold the GHz crown (while also consuming the most power) but even AMD's mobile processors in the 4000 series crush Intel's latest 10th gen chips in IPC and other workloads. Ive been running AMD rigs for a long time all the way back to the 90s. I have yet to have a dud. Any issue I ever had came from the motherboard manufacturer like ASUS or Gigabyte.
the Intel 10nm promise is a lie. Just like cake.
I havnt checked this years stats in Anatech yet i do know intel is starting to fall behind a bit and cant justify their 5-10% more power at the prices they are offering. This is why competition like AMD is good it forces Intel to submit under the pressure of their prices and drop theirs. I havnt tried AMD in about 10 years so i dont know how much has changed ive thought about trying my next build as AMD(but not Radeon i will always be an NVIDEA fanboy). I need to research though and see what they have to offer and compare with. if i finish building my house this year i might MAYBE might try to start a build around black friday time frame. that should give a chance for last gen's prices to drop and the gotta have it now. I was thinking of building the PC into my desk this year ive seen some fantastic builds that way. I do wood working as a hobby.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
If germany ever built computer components i would hands down buy only those i have a hardon for germany products in general they are built to freaken last.
I have Sennheiser products (GSP 500 headphones and GSX 1200 DAC). Best peripheral gear I own.

• o7

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Well,

Wow, I'm surprised to read this cos I got the same mobo, upgraded to the same CPU last year from an i5 4670k, always had all 4 dimms populated with 16gigs, and now 32 gigs. All my Sata ports are filled, USB ports still work fine. It's now on it's 3rd GPU. Never had a single issue. Guess I got lucky, or it's a disaster waiting to happen lol.

How's the NVME to PCIe working out for you? I'm looking into that as a final upgrade to this system, is it worth it? Doesn't it use up bandwidth from the GPU pcie line?

As for a build, I'd go next gen intel. Still outperforms in daily generic use where you don't really even utilize 8 threads, let alone 16+, and is much less finicky to ram, bios and such....
But if you want to do many many things at once, like playing a game, encoding, streaming out, streaming in, browsing and watching a movie at the same time, sure, Threadripper all the way!
Or if your work depends on it, like running loads of virtual machines, than yeah, AMD is better value. Most things like video encoding still work better with higher single core performance, so it really depends on your use case.

• o7

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Wow, I'm surprised to read this cos I got the same mobo, upgraded to the same CPU last year from an i5 4670k, always had all 4 dimms populated with 16gigs, and now 32 gigs. All my Sata ports are filled, USB ports still work fine. It's now on it's 3rd GPU. Never had a single issue. Guess I got lucky, or it's a disaster waiting to happen lol.

How's the NVME to PCIe working out for you? I'm looking into that as a final upgrade to this system, is it worth it? Doesn't it use up bandwidth from the GPU pcie line?

As for a build, I'd go next gen intel. Still outperforms in daily generic use where you don't really even utilize 8 threads, let alone 16+, and is much less finicky to ram, bios and such....
But if you want to do many many things at once, like playing a game, encoding, streaming out, streaming in, browsing and watching a movie at the same time, sure, Threadripper all the way!
Or if your work depends on it, like running loads of virtual machines, than yeah, AMD is better value. Most things like video encoding still work better with higher single core performance, so it really depends on your use case.
Its really hit or miss there are going to be slightly defective products and the people who end up getting those it leave a super sour taste in their mouths to where they lose faith in that brand.(its a lot of money to feel cheated out of) nothing we can do about that.

Forgot your password?