Do additional game packages still create character/npc slots?

How many NPC Slots are you planning to have?

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • 1-3

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • 3-5

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • 5-10

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • 10+

Votes: 11 20.4%

• Total voters

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Just to clarify there is no standalone npc slot. I have read multiple sources that additional game packages create character slots that can be used for npc slots.
That is my understanding. I have already bought 3 extra packages for crew/npc, and figure I can use AI to round out any other slots I need on my ships. I may buy one or two more, based on how cheap the Origin starter package is (but, more starter packs may be coming out from the other manufacturers). At the worse, I can always gift or sell the LTI starter packs later.

Note: this is all subject to speculation and CR / CIG could change how this is implemented at any time in the future.

IIRC, at the very beginning, or some point soon after, you could buy a "civilian" character for $10, if you wanted to back SC but did not want to dive all the way in with a game package. This disappeared very quickly. I always went ahead and bought an extra ship package, since you got the package for only $10 more than the ship, and thus had the NPC and the ship as well.

There was also talk early on that, when your character "died" you could will your ships to one of your second characters, and start using them as your main character. As the concept of "permadeath" has been changing drastically, this too is something I haven't heard about recently.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Just to clarify there is no standalone npc slot. I have read multiple sources that additional game packages create character slots that can be used for npc slots.
Okay so the notion of a $10 NPC is a myth? That's never gonna be a thing? You can pay NPCs in game, or purchase PC slots with game packages, and turn PC slots into NPCs with limited automation, but you can't just buy NPC slots at $10@?

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Think this idea, and all the ideas that come with it, got put on the back burner. I'd be hesitant to make purchases based on the maybes, because it will likely go through a long design process and a lot of changes.

Not that it's not an interesting idea, but it will be its own can of worms. How will bots be balanced against players? Balanced to other NPCs? Will you interact with them through the "inner thought" system, or with mobi-glass emails? Will they actually be characters integrated in the game, or will they be effectively just bots so you can be more than one place at once?

Personal NPCs will be another type of ship almost. Will the ones you get now be starter Chewbaccas? Will there be elite ones available later?

That's just issues I can think of, off the top of my head. Low priority and a long way off. If that's worth $10 to you, go for it.

Breathemore

Space Marshal
Jan 12, 2017
RSI Handle
Breathemore
Okay so the notion of a $10 NPC is a myth? That's never gonna be a thing? You can pay NPCs in game, or purchase PC slots with game packages, and turn PC slots into NPCs with limited automation, but you can't just buy NPC slots at $10@?
Not yet and that is if the original CR ideas don't change. It peaked my interested because of the LTI starter. I don't want to miss out on the opportunity if it is a planned thing. Funny, the threads from various websites in 2013-2014 expected alts or npc workers almost like the companions in SWTOR. The alts were supposed to be like a Agent Smith system.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The alts were supposed to be like a Agent Smith system.
Yep, but I have a sneaking suspicion this will not be the case.

The reasoning is sound, that if you friend is on the other side of the galaxy, you can simply take over an NPC on his ship and play along.

The problem I see is that it takes away from the adventure and risk of long trips.

If you can insta-warp to a fleet on the other side of the known universe, it removes the entire risk of travel.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
...The problem I see is that it takes away from the adventure and risk of long trips.
If you can insta-warp to a fleet on the other side of the known universe, it removes the entire risk of travel.
There are situations where realism and good gameplay are at odds. In-game travel is a good example.

We all want to be where the cool stuff is happening, but in our large org the haps are going to be all over the PU. If it takes all the time you can give to a gaming session just to get to the action you won't be a happy player. And random NPC pirate attacks while you're trying to get to your buddies will be annoying AF. Eve Online implemented its clone switching mechanic for just these reasons.

ATM our best alternative is to have multiple characters we can distribute around the PU, but that smacks of pay-to-win. Thre is no point in having a massive universe if it feels like work to get to where you want to be.

Forgot your password?