Does toilet paper have 2 holes or 1?

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
Starts out with NO holes at all, but depending on how much pressure you apply(and the fiber in your diet), you can end up with one or more holes in the paper, and/or one or more..."compromised" fingers:hand_splayed::poop:. This is a scientific fact. I didn't have to watch the video.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Starts out with NO holes at all, but depending on how much pressure you apply(and the fiber in your diet), you can end up with one or more holes in the paper, and/or one or more..."compromised" fingers:hand_splayed::poop:. This is a scientific fact. I didn't have to watch the video.
beware descending from the philosophical to the practical

if we're not careful we will be arguing about one-ply vs. two-ply next

at which point we will be no better than Spectrum

I paid good money for this herb, don't kill my buzz

let's not go down that path

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Sunday evening, 3.0 isn't out yet. only 1 bottle of beer left...and it's a Shiner Bock amber, which is why it's the last one left - so what the hell.

Simple answer is, a roll of toilet paper has 1 hole going through it, like an open cylinder. The hole through an open cylinder is end-cap to end-cap. It's not a torus, though they have can have holes. Torus holes can also have a 0 radius, or even a negative radius, and it's still considered the "hole". You can't do that with a cylinder. Problem is all of the surfaces of a torus are described by arcs in all dimensions. A roll of toilet paper has some straight surfaces.

More complex answer requires knowledge of compound objects. The tube in the middle is an open-cylinder, the outer toilet paper component - the kind of more important part - is a shape, I think called an Archimedean-Helix - whatever they call the shape of a 3d spiral, like the main spring of a wind-up toy, or old fashioned watch. These don't really have holes, they just approximate one.
But if they're made of flexible and fragile enough material, they can be unwound, like a roll of toilet paper. So, if your roll of toilet paper was really a cylinder or torus, you couldn't unwind it to use it. You'd end up using an entire roll each time you er, needed one. The whatever-helix you can just unwind an appropriate quantity of the surface, and rip that amount off to use to clean up your ah, mess or whatever.

Reactions: Deroth and Sraika

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Sunday evening, 3.0 isn't out yet. only 1 bottle of beer left...and it's a Shiner Bock amber, which is why it's the last one left - so what the hell.

Simple answer is, a roll of toilet paper has 1 hole going through it, like an open cylinder. The hole through an open cylinder is end-cap to end-cap. It's not a torus, though they have can have holes. Torus holes can also have a 0 radius, or even a negative radius, and it's still considered the "hole". You can't do that with a cylinder. Problem is all of the surfaces of a torus are described by arcs in all dimensions. A roll of toilet paper has some straight surfaces.

More complex answer requires knowledge of compound objects. The tube in the middle is an open-cylinder, the outer toilet paper component - the kind of more important part - is a shape, I think called an Archimedean-Helix - whatever they call the shape of a 3d spiral, like the main spring of a wind-up toy, or old fashioned watch. These don't really have holes, they just approximate one.
But if they're made of flexible and fragile enough material, they can be unwound, like a roll of toilet paper. So, if your roll of toilet paper was really a cylinder or torus, you couldn't unwind it to use it. You'd end up using an entire roll each time you er, needed one. The whatever-helix you can just unwind an appropriate quantity of the surface, and rip that amount off to use to clean up your ah, mess or whatever.
Do you also have an TL;DR?

Reactions: Sraika

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Depends how many fingers you poke through it.........

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
1 hole. The definition of a hole is "a hollow place in a solid body or surface" Just because a hole has multiply entrances doesn't make it two holes.
What's the difference between a hole and a tunnel then?

Reactions: Ammorn

Ezz

Space Marshal
Feb 4, 2016
RSI Handle
Pfen

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
beware descending from the philosophical to the practical

if we're not careful we will be arguing about one-ply vs. two-ply next

at which point we will be no better than Spectrum

I paid good money for this herb, don't kill my buzz

let's not go down that path
Yeah, but which way do you put it on, rolling off the back side and under the bottom, or the right way over the top and to the front?

Reactions: Deroth
Forgot your password?