Dreams vs. Reality

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
I think each of us has a vision of what we want this game to be, an entire universe that I can get lost in and meet all my childhood fantasies comes to mind. After all ,they have $150,000,000 of our money, it couldn't go wrong, Or are we a cult of believers blindly following a charismatic leader to our eventual disappointment? Do we blindly criticise and vilify those that question Star Citizen? When I hear that only 400 of our 10,000 members are active and that the remainder are "wait and see", I get worried. I was talking to some fellow space nuts, like I am and told them of my involvement in the game, but what I didn't tell them is how much money I've spent. Am I embarrassed about that? Why aren't they as enthusiastic about SC as I am? If you were a believer in Chris' mission since the Kickstarter campaign, you must be wondering if it will ever come out. Anyway, I'm posting this video without apology to see what you think.
Comments?

xecto

Space Marshal
Sep 26, 2014
RSI Handle
xecto
Hard to read, This was.

Edit: Now that I've watched the whole thing all I can say is he should have waited until after gamescom. He still has some valid points though that I will ignore because reasons.
I don't really have a view on what I want this game to be because I have 0 imagination and I don't want to keep my expectations too high and get disappointed - which is highly doubtfull.

As someone who has only spent a mimimum amount of money on this game (average AAA game price) I can only say that I have gotten great value out of it. I do feel like this game will be THE game that I will be playing forever and I understand why people are throwing thousands of dollars into it.

Last edited:

Murderer

Space Marshal
Jun 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Murderer
Wow, that was a long video; but it definitely covers all the controversy surrounding this game up to date. While I am also not as forthcoming when it comes to telling others how much I have invested in the game, I think back to my initial pledge of an Avenger, and how that amount has grown over time as opposed to an all at once investment. I'd like to take a moment and liken this to the US's current political season. It doesn't matter whether you drink grape or red kool-aid, your flavor is better than the flavor the other people are having at the moment no matter what can be said that is bad about your drink; when in all honesty, everyone should be drinking water.

Whether or not the game comes out as promised, I have no doubt most of the developers wake up every morning optimistic they are working hard to deliver a promise to those of us who have supported them.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
New month, same discussion. As I've discussed it with myself several times: "What are you...me...am I doing here? Thousands of bucks!? Damn you! You crazy bit... ...Ah shut up! Look at the graphics! The ships! That'll be awesome! The return on invest will be there. I won't buy any other game in my life...oh, another Steam-sale, hmmm...." And so on ;)

But seriously:
Everyone who spends money to CIG spends it because he/she follows the dream of Chris - and is supporting it. Since most of us are not developers or the kind - otherwise I definitely would've applied for a job at CIG! - we are giving CIG whats best besides of skills: our money.
How much that will be, that depends on our "gold reserves" and on our level of excitement.

That said, there is no way, not in my whole life, that I can explain on a base of logic and facts the wall of money I've spent to CIG. You...I simply can't! And tell you what: I won't. Its my secret, which I'm sharing with a couple of insiders - which is you TESTies in fact. :)

And now you @ratfeast are being drown in self-doubt, asking us for any reasonable answer on spending such mind-blowing amounts of money to CIG? Really? Answer is: there is no reason. What you want to do about, knowing that now?
  • The most simple answer would be: stop spending and go away; come back in two years when the game is released.
  • Another solution could be: sell your JPEGs, melt the others/packages, sell the ingame-creds; stay with your basic game package and come back in two years.
  • Third: just stop thinking, stay with us - and your amount of JPEGs - and have fun. As if any Metal- or LARP-freak, who spends thousands of Dollars into equipment, dresses, gigs and concerts would ever complain about his/her invests! Think about that one minute ;)
I won't watch that video, because, as I said, you can't discuss some things on a logical point of view. There always will be people or ex-fans or self-complainers who will release thoughts as those one within that vid you linked.

Well, hopefully, my thougts helped you through this difficult phase of self-doubt ;) (and please accept my appologies if I'd understood something wrong of your opening post). :)

Reyalp CB4

Space Marshal
Oct 1, 2015
RSI Handle
reyalp
i agree with @Sam K Macer

its funny i had a conversation with a friend of mine the other day about spending more money on the game. He has only bought the base package. Before they split them so its a good one at the good price. Then he spent the extra to upgrade his aurora mr to a LN. Though the other day cause ive been playing alot again i took a few months off and hadn't really played. With all the stuff i have been telling him about whats being added and what the next few months has to offer he was considering buying a Cutlass as a place holder till he can upgrade it to a Super Hornet if it goes on some sort of sale again. He asked me how much i have spent on the game. I told him ive prob spent like a years subscription to an MMO give or take. That i also know of others who have spent WAY more. Then i followed up with the caveat that I spend the money cause i care about the project and want to see it succeed. That if hes unsure and just wants a better ship to play when we play. He can wait till the games ready. Thats half the fun.

also This Watched this the other day since ive also been playing NMS alot.

i think whats really important is even with all the controversy one has to admit CIG is very transparent with its community and its not like when they say they are gonna do something they dont show us and let us TEST it (see what i did there)

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Goals are simply dreams with time limits. SC is on track with time limits to the dream.
Having experience with Chris Robert's dreams and goals in the past, for me, it is definitely not blind faith.
I would personally like the thank those that go way overboard spending literally thousands to help develop the game.
Personally I am capped at $280. Even that would be a lot to pay for a finished computer game but this is not your mama's video game.
$130,000,000 is not a lot and it has been well spent creating the infastructure and ships.
Star Citizen is constantly moving forward at a good rate as game development goes.
Just ask us DCS world players how long we have been waiting for the very long ago promised F18.
For great games, it takes time. Relatively speaking Star Citizen is moving along at light speed.
I am content and commited to be on board for the duration. I will pledge more when I can.
We are being rewarded by being able to keep some of our material assets and so the money is not wasted.
We get to grab our names early. We get to figure out our setups (hotas, MFG etc.) and try out different ships.
When the game releases in a year or 5, we will have the advantage of being experienced in the game and we'll have zero gravity down pat.
If a person spends more than is reasonable, Star Citizen is not to blame.
We have the power to say yes or no to spending.
The game WILL come out just like Chris' many other releases.
When it does, us backers will rule while other people struggle to figure it out.
Being ahead of the curve has merit.
In 3 short months, I feel I have already got my $280 worth of fun and I enjoy each version and the advances made.
Even a basic starter package can earn you REC to rent ships and guns and parts.
As backers we get to find out what works well and what doesn't in advance and that takes time.
I have only been alpha and beta testing games and operating systems since "Chicago" which became Windows 95.
I can say with authority that we are on track and constantly moving forward.
For those who would whine at how much they've spent, only the person looking back at you in the mirror can be held accountable for that.
Haters gonna hate and whiners gonna whine. That crap is infectious and ruins games for everyone.
If the whiners can develop a better game cheaper, fly at 'er. Otherwise STFU.
Sorry. 40 years of computer gaming means I have listened to far too many whiners.
My bs tolerance is nil. *hangs head*
I have no regrets supporting this game in a manner that fits my own budget.
My tracker is fully loaded to the hilt finally. It should remain that way through to the release.
2.5 with a planet. Oh yeah. It's coming along nicely.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
One of the things I enjoy the most at work is anticipating the next holiday! Looking forward to things is a good feeling. Holidays by and large are short and therefore part of the value comes from the anticipation.

One of the things SC does is drip feed the anticipation and reward because you get things on the way like will the caterpillar ever be finished (yeah I know it really doesn't matter cos the gameplay isn't there yet) , but you get ships you pledge for coming into creation.

I have not spent money I cannot afford to lose and if they never fix the network issues or the gameplay is not satisfactory I will still have had the anticipation and years of looking forward to something.

Can the sorts of money being spent for this sort of game ever be well spent , well I doubt it but if you buy a new car it hardly is new for long and looses money fast, new smart phone or computer is soon old, its life you work to contribute and waste money. Your choice is where.

Would it make more sense to just buy a basic package and play the game from there undoubtedly and there are many people making wiser choices than me!

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
This person who made this video lost ALL credibility with me when he said Freelancer's graphics "look like shit"

Sorry, that person obviously has NO CLUE what graphics were like back then. Those graphics were on par, if not slightly better than the graphics that EverQuest launched with in 1999, and a heck of a lot better than they went to beta with. Back then, you had either 2D sprites for most "3D" games, or a very basic true 3D engine. For a massively multi-player game, those were state of the art graphics back then. Heck, 3D video cards like the Riva 128 were only starting to come on the market in 1997 ish. I think they guy is trying to compare today's graphics with those of almost 15-20 years ago and..well..is failing horribly.

Some of his facts line up, but like too many journalists these days, he blurs the line between fact and opinion far to often. It's clear the person has an agenda and is selling his version for some reason...even if only to get name recognition in the industry...or get hired to do political hack jobs.

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
Wow, that was a long video; but it definitely covers all the controversy surrounding this game up to date. While I am also not as forthcoming when it comes to telling others how much I have invested in the game, I think back to my initial pledge of an Avenger, and how that amount has grown over time as opposed to an all at once investment. I'd like to take a moment and liken this to the US's current political season. It doesn't matter whether you drink grape or red kool-aid, your flavor is better than the flavor the other people are having at the moment no matter what can be said that is bad about your drink; when in all honesty, everyone should be drinking water.

Whether or not the game comes out as promised, I have no doubt most of the developers wake up every morning optimistic they are working hard to deliver a promise to those of us who have supported them.
I agree, my concern is for Chris, who is such a perfectionist.

And now you @ratfeast are being drown in self-doubt, asking us for any reasonable answer on spending such mind-blowing amounts of money to CIG? Really? Answer is: there is no reason. What you want to do about, knowing that now?
I have no intention of quitting, primarily because I enjoy this community. I find I haven't flown in SC since 2.0 primarily because I was bored with comm arrays. I fear two things:
1) That the network issues may not be solvable.
2) How Chris will react to that if they are not solvable, will he abandon the game like he did his last one? Will he start over?

I am actually optimistic about the game, it just seems to have a lot of doubters. Will it really take another two years; I think most of us would lose our focus over that period of time. I just wanted to know how people were thinking about this.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Afaik the last time he "abandoned", his fans were with him because everyone understood his reasons. This time, the fans would never understand - and for sure, I see no reason for abandon the project. If he would do so, I think his *personal* life would be crashed because on every point of this world there would be people who would hate him from the deepest grounds of their hearts. I suggest, that he is fully aware of the trust as well as the burden that comes along with this trust.

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
think whats really important is even with all the controversy one has to admit CIG is very transparent with its community and its not like when they say they are gonna do something they dont show us and let us TEST it (see what i did there)
I agree, it's the one thing that makes me the most optimistic,

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
Afaik the last time he "abandoned", his fans were with him because everyone understood his reasons. This time, the fans would never understand - and for sure, I see no reason for abandon the project. If he would do so, I think his *personal* life would be crashed because on every point of this world there would be people who would hate him from the deepest grounds of their hearts. I suggest, that he is fully aware of the trust as well as the burden that comes along with this trust.
The thing that scares me about him is his perfectionism, it's also the reason I trust him not to just steal our money,

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Honestly, that gives me a way better feeling than the otherwise imperfectionism and intransparancy of a Sean Murray.
Every video I've seen of him, I can see him lying, he has a quick delay, and a slight smirk, and then lies.

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
Honestly, that gives me a way better feeling than the otherwise imperfectionism and intransparancy of a Sean Murray.
I agree completely; I just imagine 2 years from now when a dev says to him "If you really want the game to be what you want it to be, you need to abandon Cryengine.
Every video I've seen of him, I can see him lying, he has a quick delay, and a slight smirk, and then lies.
Are you talking about Sean Murray?

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I agree completely; I just imagine 2 years from now when a dev says to him "if you raelly want the game to be what you want it to be, you need to abandon Cryengine.

Are you talking about Sean Murray?
Asked myself the same question; but I guess so, ja.

That the CryEngine has its limits, that is no secret anymore. But at the time CIG has licenced the CryEngine, it was the most powerful machine in the market. Things have changed and CIG has to deal with it - and they sure will do. As the procution designer stated, they have already 50%(!!!) of the CryEngine customized, implementing the changes now peu-à-peu during the upcoming patch releases.

ratfeast

Space Marshal
Apr 11, 2016
RSI Handle
ratfeast
Asked myself the same question; but I guess so, ja.

That the CryEngine has its limits, that is no secret anymore. But at the time CIG has licenced the CryEngine, it was the most powerful machine in the market. Things have changed and CIG has to deal with it - and they sure will do. As the procution designer stated, they have already 50%(!!!) of the CryEngine customized, implementing the changes now peu-à-peu during the upcoming patch releases.
I agree, it's a gradual process. Again my concern is that the engine won't handle it, they may end up doing a total rewrite at this rate.

WTF I don't spend as much as words as most of you do, but one thing is for sure, even now, the game is awesome. I can't wait to see what it will be if it's finished. I started way too late, but untill now it didn't disappointed me!!!
It's nice to see someone be so excited about it!

Forgot your password?