Dual GPU problems

Gumbi17

Space Marshal
Sep 1, 2016
RSI Handle
gumbi_17
I just got my Alienware Aurora with Dual RX-580's, but neither will work on my monitors. I have newer 32" with HDMI or DVI connections, but when plugged into any spots on either card it will not work. I am currently plugged into the onboard mini DVI slot to try and get it all worked out. Is there a setting I need to check or what, I thought it would be plug and play but not so far!

Reactions: Talonsbane

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
If there is an onboard video port then you likely need to go into the bios to tell the system to disable it and use the PCIE video cards as the primary.

Since it sounds like a pre-assembled they should've already done that...one more example of Alienware going downhill with Dell acquiring them.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
If there is an onboard video port then you likely need to go into the bios to tell the system to disable it and use the PCIE video cards as the primary.

Since it sounds like a pre-assembled they should've already done that...one more example of Alienware going downhill with Dell acquiring them.
This. If there is a GPU installed and working, then the onboard video outputs shouldn't work. Enable PCIe video in the bios and then swap your cables over to the top GPU. Since they are in Crossfire you should only have output on the top card, or whichever is installed in the lowes numbered slot.

Gumbi17

Space Marshal
Sep 1, 2016
RSI Handle
gumbi_17
I do know there isn't a bridge in between, and when in GPU-z it says they are crossfire capable but currently not sync'ed. I will say I had a lot of problems, the first computer they forget to put my secondary hard drive in. Then when they sent it back, they sent it with 2 RX-480's instead of the computer I had with 580's. A whole crazy process, but I will check the bios as to which pci-e is set as video, I don't know why I didn't even think of the bios....LOL

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
That sounds like a nightmare...

I stopped buying pre-built machines a few years ago - now when shit breaks at least it's my own fault. :)

Good luck getting it resolved.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
I do know there isn't a bridge in between, and when in GPU-z it says they are crossfire capable but currently not sync'ed. I will say I had a lot of problems, the first computer they forget to put my secondary hard drive in. Then when they sent it back, they sent it with 2 RX-480's instead of the computer I had with 580's. A whole crazy process, but I will check the bios as to which pci-e is set as video, I don't know why I didn't even think of the bios....LOL
Yeah, if there is no bridge then they forgot a really important part. You are only going to be using one card until you have that. I would have a conversation with their customer support.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
AMDs stopped using Crossfire bridges around the 200 series, they pass all the traffic across the PCIe bridge instead.

AMD also gave up on the whole multi-GPU market with the 200 series, they're trying to wean everybody back to just buying the single most expensive GPU they can afford.

nVidia is still going forward with dual-GPU with SLI, but since customers doing three or more GPUs is so rare (with applications taking advantage of that being even rarer), they've decided it isn't a market worth pursuing.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
AMDs stopped using Crossfire bridges around the 200 series, they pass all the traffic across the PCIe bridge instead.

AMD also gave up on the whole multi-GPU market with the 200 series, they're trying to wean everybody back to just buying the single most expensive GPU they can afford.

nVidia is still going forward with dual-GPU with SLI, but since customers doing three or more GPUs is so rare (with applications taking advantage of that being even rarer), they've decided it isn't a market worth pursuing.
In short, depending on which 580s you picked, you might want to check if it is possible to get them swapped for a single Vega.

Gumbi17

Space Marshal
Sep 1, 2016
RSI Handle
gumbi_17
yeah, I see another night on Dell support chat tonight!! I had no idea that they were getting away from crossfire...ugh!

Forgot your password?