Dualshock 4 PS4 Controller on Windows 10?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So I noticed that the boys we're using a gamepad to play 3.0 in the SC GamesCon Presentation. That's awesome. I'll be leaving on course for about 3 months, taking my laptop with me, and rather than haul mu HOTAS across the continent with me, I may as well play with a controller.

As I have PS4 ones, I reckon they'll do. My question to you, is how well do they work with windows?

Or would I be better going with the steam controller or xbox one controller?

Reactions: Sraika and aeloy.

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
I haven't tested with Star Citizen, but I've used my DS4 on GTA V for a long time.
You have to get a program called DS4 windows and follow the precedures for installing drivers, etc.
Be aware it doesn't work with all games, as it's an unofficial driver, and it emulates XBOX360 gamepad. You can however use the trackpad as a mouse cursor, Share button as Menu, and Menu as Select. You can also change the profiles for some different settings etc. I haven't really played with that however.

Sometimes the Windows updates will screw with the files and force you to reinstall, change registry, etc.

It works, but it's not foolproof. There were some games who refused to read it regardless of what I tried.

I have since bought myself an XBOX One controller, since my DS4's left stick is a bit wonky. (then a new DS4 for my PS4) and been using that (XBone one) since.
XBOX One on the other hand is pretty simple plug-and-play with Win10.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Sweet, thanks. I'm looking at picking up an Xbox one controller for my PC. Just trying to decide which one. Thinking wired one, just to be safe. I'm not sure about the Bluetooth on the new Xbox one S controllers

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
Sweet, thanks. I'm looking at picking up an Xbox one controller for my PC. Just trying to decide which one. Thinking wired one, just to be safe. I'm not sure about the Bluetooth on the new Xbox one S controllers
I got the "wired" one...

it's basically the standard XBOX One Controller with a microUSB cable... no need to worry about battery life, always using on PC anyway, and a bit lighter without the AAs. If ever I get an XBOne, I can use it on that too, standard.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I am getting ready to order a steam controller, from all the videos I have seen it would be the way to go as far as programmability and functionality.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I ordered the wired one from Amazon. Better safe than sorry with ask the driver issues that can with windows 10 anniversary addition. I'm interested to try it out with Star Citizen.

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
One thing that's really amazing with the Win10 and XBOXOneController is Forza APEX.

It has the trigger rumble activated, and it's unlike anything else when you're playing a racing game. Best feature of the gamepad imho.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I may go to the new wireless one once they figure out all the driver issues. But for the price, the wired one off amazon, guaranteed to work now, was the way to go.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I haven't tested with Star Citizen, but I've used my DS4 on GTA V for a long time.
You have to get a program called DS4 windows and follow the precedures for installing drivers, etc.
Be aware it doesn't work with all games, as it's an unofficial driver, and it emulates XBOX360 gamepad. You can however use the trackpad as a mouse cursor, Share button as Menu, and Menu as Select. You can also change the profiles for some different settings etc. I haven't really played with that however.

Sometimes the Windows updates will screw with the files and force you to reinstall, change registry, etc.

It works, but it's not foolproof. There were some games who refused to read it regardless of what I tried.

I have since bought myself an XBOX One controller, since my DS4's left stick is a bit wonky. (then a new DS4 for my PS4) and been using that (XBone one) since.
XBOX One on the other hand is pretty simple plug-and-play with Win10.
Do you have a decent layout done for your xbox controller?
Or do you have a way to erase all binds on it so I can start from scratch?

Reactions: Murderer

Murderer

Space Marshal
Jun 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Murderer
I am starting to get curious as well into using an Xbox controller vs a hotas. Any info about how this compares or likes/dislikes would be appreciated.

zeddie

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Test-Dummy
Do you have a decent layout done for your xbox controller?
Or do you have a way to erase all binds on it so I can start from scratch?
what do you mean?

For Star Citizen? I don't use it... I'm still getting used to the keyboard + mouse.

as for the other games, I just use the standard keybind settings.

Cyril

Space Marshal
Feb 13, 2016
RSI Handle
Cyril
I've been playing Keyboard & Mouse so far I have my 2x T16000Ms not and I'm getting ready to learn dual stick. I think I'll probably still use keyboard and mouse for on foot even after that. Short of auto-aim you will never be able to shoot someone in the face as well with a controller as you can with a mouse.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I fully intend to use keyboard and mouse with FPS.
The controller is for flight only. And only for when I'm traveling, as I am now. Hauling a HOTAS around with me would be a pain in the ass.

So far she's working like a charm. So all I need now is my interwebs installed in the barracks I'm living in. Yay. Let's go Monday.

aeloy.

Captain
Nov 2, 2017
RSI Handle
aeloy
Is there any change on this? Thought about bringing my controller in as well.

This thread is more than one year old, though.

Any news or experiences?

Reactions: Lorddarthvik
Forgot your password?