'Elite: Dangerous' Lets You Land On Planets With Upcoming 'Horizons' Expansion

What are your feelings?

• Got my doubts

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • I am pumped up with anticipation

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Elite Dangerous? What is Elite Dangerous? SC 4 life

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I am not fussed either way. Might be great, then again it may not. Who cares?

Votes: 16 34.0%

• Total voters

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
The new expansion will provide a whole series of content, starting with planetary landings. For those who haven't played the game, Elite: Dangerous takes place in our own Milky Way galaxy, allowing players to visit each of the 400 billion (that's not a typo) systems.
Source

Reactions: Skullduggery

Ocean

Rear Admiral
Jul 20, 2015
RSI Handle
0cean
this game always hits me up for foreign exchange.........so that means as of right now they really want 218.03 for the life pass...

YOUR GAME IS NOT OUT OF BETA!!!! or was the 40$ our beta pass?

what a Joke....looks like i am uninstalling this game....would rather play star trek online....at least that one has more substance then ED....

Reactions: Nutjob

Skullduggery

Space Marshal
Aug 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Skullduggery
I played the original Elite and the original Wing Commander series. I loved them both for what they each were. I was an alpha backer of Elite: Dangerous, and have pledged more than my share to back SC. I think it's great that I'll get to continue to enjoy them both for what they are now and for years to come.

I'm extremely excited for this news, and to see what SC has in store on Friday!

Reactions: Modeeper

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Uproar in the ED community over this.

New players coming along now get everything for $60.

Original players who paid $60 up until yesterday to buy this game, now have to pay another $60 for this expansion.

This is going to be ugly.

Skullduggery

Space Marshal
Aug 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Skullduggery

Original players who paid $60 up until yesterday to buy this game, now have to pay another $60 for this expansion.

The plan was always to charge those who didn't back at alpha, premium beta or who didn't buy the lifetime pass for the expansions. I think the upset is about the price. I suppose they could always decide to adjust that if the demand isn't there.

They'll be charging again for the multi crew and walking on stations expansion, so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nutjob

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Main problem with ED is that it strives to simulate the universe too perfectly as in real life.

In real life you would find 99.99999999% of planets EMPTY.
Boring as fuk. But that is reality.

Some people love this aspect obviously.
They just love to look at the scenery and imagine "what iffs" etc.

Skullduggery

Space Marshal
Aug 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Skullduggery
Main problem with ED is that it strives to simulate the universe too perfectly as in real life.

In real life you would find 99.99999999% of planets EMPTY.
Boring as fuk. But that is reality.

Some people love this aspect obviously.
They just love to look at the scenery and imagine "what iffs" etc.
I admit to being one who likes sims, and who likes a lot of reality in my sims. But I prefer enhanced reality. That is, I like physics to work like physics, etc. Right up to the point that it isn't fun. For example, it isn't realistic that I should be able to land or even move on a planet with much higher gravity than Earth, but it's fun - if you can enhance with some anti gravity tech that makes it possible. It isn't realistic that I should be able to travel at "frame shift speeds" allowing me to reach Mars in minutes rather than months, but it's fun...etc.

To me the enhanced reality they've announced sounds fun as fuk. Landing anywhere on any (airless to start) planet, 1:1 scale. Fast dune buggies that have weapons and can jump. Bases to fight over from land or air, derilect ships to salvage, minerals to mine, a loot drop system, a crafting system. I for one can't wait!

Crawley

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Crawley
Your poll doesn't have enough options. How about, "what a joke, I paid full price for this game when it came out (yes, as in full release, not beta) and haven't felt anything but screwed by the developer ever since; this is the last straw, I am officially out, never spending another penny on E: D unless they really earn it: uninstall" as a fifth option? Ya know, for us undecided folk.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark

Oh wow. Yeah, I'll go ahead and uninstall E:D if that's the case. I enjoyed popping in every now and then, but if I have to pay again for content? Done.

Reactions: Crawley

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
ED was always going to be pay big early and have it all or pay normal price for basic game and pay through your nose later for every expansion.
So I am not surprised.

Look at WoW.
After 10 years and after countless expansions they charge every single time.
And a FULL GAME PRICE at that.
Like it was an AAA title. All of that ON TOP of subscription.

Let us not argue about payment models different publishers do for their games.
I do not judge a game based on that. I judge it purely superficially.
How it feels? Do I have fun playing it? Do I love returning to it day in and day out?

I do not care about any commercial or CGI video, or even in engine scripted video.
I like to test things on my own and reach my own conclusions.

ED just does not "FEEL" right to me.
I backed early too btw. But I can not get myself to log in. I know exactly what I will find in there, and it is not to my taste.
To each his own I say. Some people actually love ED.

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
I was a Beta backer and I haven't logged in and played in months. It was good, but I just didn't feel the urge to really go back and grind.

Crawley

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Crawley
ED was always going to be pay big early and have it all or pay normal price for basic game and pay through your nose later for every expansion.
So I am not surprised.

Look at WoW.
After 10 years and after countless expansions they charge every single time.
And a FULL GAME PRICE at that.
Like it was an AAA title. All of that ON TOP of subscription.

Let us not argue about payment models different publishers do for their games.
I do not judge a game based on that. I judge it purely superficially.
How it feels? Do I have fun playing it? Do I love returning to it day in and day out?

I do not care about any commercial or CGI video, or even in engine scripted video.
I like to test things on my own and reach my own conclusions.

ED just does not "FEEL" right to me.
I backed early too btw. But I can not get myself to log in. I know exactly what I will find in there, and it is not to my taste.
To each his own I say. Some people actually love ED.
I really liked E: D as a game, I had a lot of fun. But similarly, it just doesn't feel right playing anymore. Sometimes I'd try logging in but end up just sitting on the home screen playing on my phone. And it wasn't even the game, I just couldn't play the game without being reminded of how frustrated I was with the devs.

Maybe in three years when the game is fully complete and on sale I'll start playing it again.

Yex

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2015
RSI Handle
Yex
All I can think about is how shit that ship looks

Skullduggery

Space Marshal
Aug 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Skullduggery
Huh.

Honestly, I'm kinda bummed with these responses. I know TEST is a SC org, but as a new member I was also hoping to have some TESTies to play with in E: D as well. I guess not... :(

Forgot your password?