ESL DOTA 2

GinjaNinja

Grand Admiral
May 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Andy_Barker
Anyone play DOTA 2? I’m providing medical cover for the ESL DOTA 2 UK event in Birmingham and I won’t lie I’m struggling to follow the gameplay. I thought I was a gamer but obviously not this genre :nerd::rolling_eyes:

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
I put like 20 minutes in once. It's not really my kind of game. Closest thing i can compare it to is League of Legends, which doesn't really help if you haven't played that either lol.

Kenlee

Space Marshal
Apr 30, 2017
RSI Handle
Kenlee
Anyone play DOTA 2? I’m providing medical cover for the ESL DOTA 2 UK event in Birmingham and I won’t lie I’m struggling to follow the gameplay. I thought I was a gamer but obviously not this genre :nerd::rolling_eyes:

If you are not familiar with the heroes and their abilities or the gameplay I can understand if it's hard to keep up.

The game is focused on picking a hero each and controlling the 3 lanes on the map by destroying the other teams buildings, mobs and heroes, which will grant the you money to buy gear and experience to level your abilities. The end goal is ofcourse to push the other teams lanes by destroying their defenses and in the end destroy their main building which will win the game.

Map.jpg

But that's not super easy since there's a team of 5 players against you and a base with towers that shoot really hard. Last hits on mobs is very essential because it does not matter how much damage you do to a mob, it's only the hero with the last hit that will get money for the kill.

Theres around 100 heroes to pick from and every hero has 4 abilities which they can level, 3 normal ones and an ultimate. Every hero is very different in terms of roles and abilities. So getting the right setup is crucial to counter the other team. No matter the setup, there will always be a way to counter it. Like a big wierd rock paper scissors contest.

Usually you will see 1-2 carries on a team which will be fed with last hits so that they are able to get gear fast while other players might go for another type of hero to compliment the carries (support, initiation, scouting, harassment or just for specific ulti combos). Carries are heroes which in the beginning are not that great, but with the right amount of gear and level they can become almost invincible end game.

Besides the 3 lanes with mobs pushing at a fixed rate, theres 2 jungles which players can kill wild animals that spawn every minute, and a big boss called Roshan which drops an Ankh of Reincarnation (free extra life). And power up runes will spawn every 2nd minute in the river which can give you stealth, double damage or illusions.

Wards are also a big thing because you can only see the parts of the map where you or your teammates are. Wards can be bought and placed in order to get visibility in an area for a few minutes which is super important if you don't want to get caught off guard and ganked by the other team.

I know that was a big rant, but I do hope that clears some things in terms of understanding the game.

GinjaNinja

Grand Admiral
May 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Andy_Barker
Well I just watched a team win $1,000,000 and a Mercedes for the top rated player of the final :astonished::neutral_face:

Thanks for the explanation @Kenlee :vulcan:

There was a lot of very excited, smelly and pale man cheering loads... Made me feel less of a geek :unamused:

Reactions: Sraika
Forgot your password?