Extreme 3D Pro or straight to HOTAS?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I am hearing great reviews about a cheap $30 Extreme 3D pro, its priced well and performs well.

My question is whether I should bother with the 3D pro, or just go right to the X52 Pro?

Dont pitch me the Warthog, that is out of my budget!

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
Depends what youre using atm, Ive got an old microsoft sidewinder 2 and it works great, but ill definately be investing in an X52 and TrackIR at some point, having all the functions under your fingers is great, makes the whole experience easier since your not constantly having to switch between keyboard and joystick.

UPGRAY3DD

Vice Admiral
Donor
Jan 26, 2014
RSI Handle
UPGRAY3DD
I've got an extreme 3d pro on the way, i might get another one. HOJAJ. That can have multiple meanings depending on how strict your interpretation of the word "joystick" is...

Dortz

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 4, 2014
RSI Handle
Dortz
For me, I went with the 3D Pro for two reasons.

1: Its a game centered around flying, I wanted to go with a little realism and get a joystick.
2: It's more familiar to me than hotas

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
You might want to look into thrustmaster t flight hotas. It's a relatively cheap hotas, I had it before my x52 and it helped me decide if I wanted to invest more.
Of course it's not the best stick in the world, you get what you pay for.

The advantage of going with the cheap stick first is you can ebay it when you upgrade for 90% of the cost, SC and ED have pushed the second hand joystick market to a healthy place (at least in the uk)

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I'm leaning toward the X52 HOTAS or even just the T-Flight HOTAS X Flight as its a lot cheaper. Last time I played any flight sim I made the transition to a HOTAS style controller (I think it was for xwing alliance) and I loved the feel of it. I AM going to get the 3D pro though as well as they sell it at the local NEX on base and was going to use it till I go home. Probably let the kids use it when I have them run mining and exploration runs :)

WhooptyWoo

Admiral
Donor
Jul 18, 2014
RSI Handle
WhooptyWoo
Problem with HOTAS setups is they are designed for airplanes in atmospheric flight. We will need devices that are designed to handle 6DoF efficiently.

So I picked up one of these bad boys (to go along with my Logitech 3D extreme pro):

This is the 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse Pro. It was made for 3d Design programs, but it looks like it is perfect for space flight.

It is kind of a pain in the ass to get working in SC or ED right now, and I haven't had the time lately I need to work with it. But when I am able to really get into it, I will report back on my findings.

In the meantime here are some videos of it in action:

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
I went HOTAS, and never looked back. I lack the manual dexterity for HOMAS (hands on Montoya and stick) or HOJAJ, or any other crazy talk control scheme. It was a huge improvement for *me*, but I'd been playing with an xbox gamepad.

Reactions: CaptainRichard

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
Yeah, I hear that brother. I lack the soberness for anything besides the easymode Saitek X55 + Pro Flight Pedals TBH. I would use M/KB but that is just too peasant for me [Reaches over boots up most expensive PC ever, then cracks $19 Beer, Takes out $200 Virtual Spaceship out, before finally calling credit card company to raise his credit limit so he can buy moar Virtual Spaceships, only to find out he is get's denied, and contemplates selling said Saitek X55 + Pro Flight Pedals to pay Min. Payment on Credit Card] :D

Reactions: WhooptyWoo

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
I am intrigued
Played with a not so final product a while back. Not for me. A friend uses one for Architecture and such but just not my style. I love the X55 + Pro Flight Pedals. So easy to set-up and use, great product support (Software/Firmware), best customer support ever from Saitek, the availability is really good now, the quality of them are really good, I have had 4 different units and only one had a small aesthetic flaw, and of course the price is really, really low for what you get. Not sure how they are able to make any money off the X55's but I am sure they make a little. And of course the majority of Dev's use them so you know that means the game itself will of course naturally be best suited for them. At least for the near future. Everyone keep's saying there is an officially supported SC HOTAS concept unit or two floating out there though ;) ;)

quazz

Grand Admiral
Jan 2, 2014
RSI Handle
Quazz
I went HOTAS, and never looked back. I lack the manual dexterity for HOMAS (hands on Montoya and stick) or HOJAJ, or any other crazy talk control scheme. It was a huge improvement for *me*, but I'd been playing with an xbox gamepad.
Which HOTAS did you pick up?

I'm looking at the T-Flight as I don't want to spend too much on it, but if the other options are really that much better I might change my mind.

TypeO

Space Marshal
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Privateer
Shamless plug for /r/hotas.

Our sidebar is filled with guides and FAQs and the users are very helpful.

Reactions: CitizenDad

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
Which HOTAS did you pick up?

I'm looking at the T-Flight as I don't want to spend too much on it, but if the other options are really that much better I might change my mind.
I snagged an X55, and I love it. I got it half-price (hooray amazon gift cards), but i'd have paid full price for it.

Reactions: CitizenDad
Forgot your password?