Favorite Mid-Size Base Ship(not variants)?

Favorite Mid-Size Ship. Base model only

• Constellation Andromeda

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Freelancer

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Retaliator

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Redeemer

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Hull B

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vanguard

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Vulcan

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Apollo

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Mercury Star Runner

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • Corsair / Other- Please specify

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Its time for another one of those droll Black Sunder Poll threads that seem to have no purpose but are really useful to him for things later on. Maybe. And stuff.

I think my own choice should come as no surprise.

-Edit- Because people are confused this has nothing to do with Jump Point sizing or classification there. Its actual ship size(length/width/etc) on that scale in relation to other ships and I'm limited to 10 options on a poll.

Last edited:

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
I'm split between Mercury and Retaliator. People forget how modular the Tali is if you have all the modules, it's insanely useful and a very cheap ship. $150 at base speaks for itself considering its size.
The only reason I didn't select Mercury as the vote is because ... there's still a lot of time till it gets in the verse and any number of things can change.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Can't really make a call until I've flown 'em.

From the ones on the list i've flown:

Constellation Andromeda
Vanguard

Of those two... well, they are two different beasts for two different roles.

The Connie, when I could fit size 5's, was good though. You can carry a ground craft in it too, decent cargo space... Yeah, I'll go Connie, it's jsut a great all-rounder.

The Vanguard is okay but compared to other heavy fighters (F8) it's drastically under-gunned these days... I legit forgot it had the turret, so if I could swap the turret out or slave it to my sites maybe it would get some of its teeth back...? But until then, the Connie takes it.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The Vanguard is okay but compared to other heavy fighters (F8) it's drastically under-gunned these days... I legit forgot it had the turret, so if I could swap the turret out or slave it to my sites maybe it would get some of its teeth back...? But until then, the Connie takes it.
I have to say I like the idea of the Vanguard as well, but not it's current firepower. I had a decision to make this past Fall, and single purpose fighters did not win.

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora
I have to say I like the idea of the Vanguard as well, but not it's current firepower. I had a decision to make this past Fall, and single purpose fighters did not win.
I use my Vanguard for a lot, I do all my delivery missions in it, as it has the fastest size 2 QT drive in the game, 3rd fastest overall. And with the shield buff in 3.5, it's a BEAST!

I am sure the Starrunner will be awesome but can't vote for a ship I haven't flown yet

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Another droll poll...
I'm split between Mercury and Retaliator. People forget how modular the Tali is if you have all the modules, it's insanely useful and a very cheap ship. $150 at base speaks for itself considering its size.
Yeah, the Retaliator has a lot going for it...if you have a couple of friends along, they can man the turrets and you can have a great time!
I'm hoping the variants are cool...I'm also wondering if the Vanguard engineering station will be useful. If it could support the engineering station, you could have roles for 3 people: pilot, turret gunner, and engineer. Back in 2.6, you could shift the shields around based on where you were being attacked...this could really be a huge benefit for combat!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think of it less like a heavy fighter than as a Fighter-Bomber, meaning less like an F14 than an FB111. Very few fighters carry S3 missiles, and IIRC, all of the Vanguards can carry 2 of them (not counting the internal S5 bays of the Harbinger.) That means they can destroy many targets before even entering into dog-fighting range. Fighters can't do that.

I think there really is intended to be a big leap between S2 and S3 missiles, and you can't appraise the Vanguards without thinkiing about that. I think the page on them still boasts they have the quickest missile lock time of any craft? Something like that. Also note, the Sentinel's difference with EM warefare is not that it carries spike missiles. I think anything that can carry an S3 missile can carry Arrester IIIs. The Sentinel carries a pair of S4 EMP missiles. One supposes that is very different than a spike missile, and might disable more than one ship at a time. We'll find out next quarter!

Forgot your password?