First Look at Nintendo Labo - Nintendo Switch .. what?

SweetDee

Vice Admiral
Jan 7, 2017
RSI Handle
SweetDee
I'm missing something here as I don't see the appeal. Yes I'm drinking, but what...is this Google Cardboard all over again?

I break my damn HOTAS on a daily basis so what chance does putting cardboard in my hands have? So I break it and get pissed???? GOD DAMN I'M ALREADY ENRAGED!

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I'm missing something here as I don't see the appeal. Yes I'm drinking, but what...is this Google Cardboard all over again?

I break my damn HOTAS on a daily basis so what chance does putting cardboard in my hands have? So I break it and get pissed???? GOD DAMN I'M ALREADY ENRAGED!
You will be able to purchase Nintendo marketed duct tape.....

The idea behind this is amazing and new. But cardboard.... come on.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika

To clarify: it's google cardboard, but marketed for kids. Also, one of em is shaped like a house. Haven't you always wanted to play a video game by.... to be honest, i'm not actually sure what functionality the house will have, but it's probably cool, i guess.
I think Im missing some parts here.

Is there a something that is detecting the motion other than the gyros in the controllers?
Untitled.png

It appears to detect the movable parts with IR. Much like the Wii, except the receiver is also on the controller (presumably, anyways).

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I played with cardboard boxes when I was a child.
I just love Progress.

Also, it is interesting that it is called LABO --- certainly not to complete with LEGO.
Large cardboard box, whicker paper plate holder and a pencil.... I was race car driving (or rolling in my big rig like Sly Stallone in over the top).....

Hell I still play with card board in making things for dnd miniatures.... but 3D printing this Labo stuff would be a better option. Pay 60 for some cardboard or print your own components for a few dollars......

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
My first reaction seeing this was to throw my wallet at my computer screen! I think this is so cool...especially the piano! I love building fun, useless stuff just for the heck of it, and this will satisfy that need!

I think Im missing some parts here.

Is there a something that is detecting the motion other than the gyros in the controllers?
It appears they are using the IR camera for some things. Another site reported that, at least for the piano, there is some sort of reflective type tape you put on the keys, and the IR camera seems to be measuring the distance to determine the note to play.

Cool!

Reactions: Ezz

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
My first reaction seeing this was to throw my wallet at my computer screen! I think this is so cool...especially the piano! I love building fun, useless stuff just for the heck of it, and this will satisfy that need!

It appears they are using the IR camera for some things. Another site reported that, at least for the piano, there is some sort of reflective type tape you put on the keys, and the IR camera seems to be measuring the distance to determine the note to play.

Cool!
Where is this IR camera?

An extra peripheral?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
To clarify: it's google cardboard, but marketed for kids. Also, one of em is shaped like a house. Haven't you always wanted to play a video game by.... to be honest, i'm not actually sure what functionality the house will have, but it's probably cool, i guess.

View attachment 9002
It appears to detect the movable parts with IR. Much like the Wii, except the receiver is also on the controller (presumably, anyways).
Why doesn't the play button work on your vid? I must drink a few more beer :beers::beers::beers:

Reactions: Ezz and Sraika

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Forgot your password?