Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
They should have different responses depending on range and enviroment.
Caves would be basically impossible to solo if all of em flooded to the location of the sound. It may be realistic but sure as hell not fun. Unless you wanna turn cave missions into extra hard group effort type of deals, like some kinda of elite level dungeon run.
If you want to be realistic, you need to take into account the atmosphere, or lack there of for sound propagation. This could be a fun mechanic.

In normal Earth-like atmo:
100-200m could be a "heard and curious but not really alerted" state, 50m could be the limit on "oh shit, this is getting close, I'm gonna maybe move to cover" state, 30m and in should be the "I'm going hot! and calling for backup!" state. Or something like this. You get the idea.
Currently the ranges Ai responds at is like totally random but on the very short end. 20m max maybe, although I had NPCs running up to me randomly from the other end of the bunker so who knows. I also had NPCs just standing around 5m away while I emptied an un-silenced ballistic rifle into their comrade. It's a buggy mess still.

Ai should most def respond to lights in caves! Don't they already?

Ships landing.. well, it depends. Are they hostile towards everyone? Are they trying to defend the place they are at? What's the zone boundary they are trying to keep clear of intruders? 100m? 200m? They can't just know you're hostile or not before you show up in person and wave a gun in their face so I don't think there is a clear cut "if you land within a 100m the Ai will trigger to attack you". Obviously technically they always know your reputations/if you are pirate or not, but if they acted upon this knowledge they shouldn't actually have, it would be dumb and immersion breaking. Like every other game... So I suppose the answer is, it depends. Probably within 50m they should come over to check you out no matter what.

Also, wtf am I silencing on an energy weapon? The "pew pew" sound isn't generated by a small explosion, so... I think energy weapons shouldn't have silencers. This should be their drawback. (I'm talking against myself here, I love the gallant energy rifle with a can on it)

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Currently suppressors are not needed when targeting past 50 meters since sonic reports only migrate 50 meters. IMHO, in most instances it ought to be twice this, and in caves anyone anywhere should be able to hear it but have no idea where it comes from. Suppressors should be necessary to avoid alerting targets when attacking. They are currently only necessary within 50 meters.
Likewise, NPCs don't respond to lights past 50 meters, even in inky black caves, and they don't respond to ships landing 70 meters away, though I don't know the exact figure for that boundary. All these things make for AI that is way too stupid to be a challenge, and it's really fixable.

Also, where are the caves and ships with monsters? imagine if the Black Kite mission had xenomorph (shades of Alien) monsters onboard instead of normal NPCs. Where is the monster AI?

Reactions: GPcustoms
Jun 20, 2022
RSI Handle
diabolus_ex_machina
Currently suppressors are not needed when targeting past 50 meters since sonic reports only migrate 50 meters. IMHO, in most instances it ought to be twice this, and in caves anyone anywhere should be able to hear it but have no idea where it comes from. Suppressors should be necessary to avoid alerting targets when attacking. They are currently only necessary within 50 meters.
Likewise, NPCs don't respond to lights past 50 meters, even in inky black caves, and they don't respond to ships landing 70 meters away, though I don't know the exact figure for that boundary. All these things make for AI that is way too stupid to be a challenge, and it's really fixable.

Also, where are the caves and ships with monsters? imagine if the Black Kite mission had xenomorph (shades of Alien) monsters onboard instead of normal NPCs. Where is the monster AI?
All good ideas!

Reactions: GPcustoms

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

Right now I'd just take AI that doesn't stand on their chair and reacts to gun shots of their friend standing next to them.

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Silenced everything I use. Lights for corners and blind spots and so far I have not had any real bunker problems. As for encampments I don;t change anything up at all. Just add on a 8X optic and poof guards are down and Dolvine in the backpack. :love:

Forgot your password?