Fleet Repository

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
I'm guessing. It's only a guess. They don't need to all fit at once anyway. They only need to refuel. However, it does seem if they'll fit, they'll make large jumps much, much more quickly. The benefit of using them as stealth recon spotters for the Polaris Torps is they will coast uncoupled at VERY high speed--325.

Scan area is a radius circle, so the area you can scan is quadratic (r^2) with scan radius, however; if you are scanning a region by drifting through it, the area you can scan over time is linear with radius, so it matters much less that the scan is short radius if the movement is very high. Looks like a plausible solution so far.

Current rumor is the Polaris bay is 29L x 21.5W x 8.95H. That's until the entire ship goes through the size creep from the new dimensioning of all the walls, etc. The ship could easily go from 155m to 180m and the bay would grow with it. If not, then it would only fit 4, but it only needs to grow just a little to fit 6 and that seems likely. Also, there is room to stack Razor's 3 high if there ever develops a way to do that. I would not be surpeised if 6 Razors and 6 X1 Force bikes will fit in the hangar, but we need to wait and see. Will likely be another 2 years.

Point is, I can imagine paying to keep 6 top-quality NPC pilots on tap for use with Vangaurds and Razors. If all the NPCs do is launch missiles from Harbingers, I think they will be able to manage, and if all they do is drift a sector to scan, that could work too. This keeps the real players available for the real thinking tasks.
Interesting theory, although I don't think they would increase the size of the bay if the role of the Polaris stays the same. It is supposed to be for a recon fighter if I understand what they want the ship to do overall. It would be cool if you could put a Terrapin in there though, that seems like it would be the most useful thing you could put in there.

As for the high coasting speed, that doesn't matter any more with the changes to the fought model in 3.5. You can get anything up to 1000 m/s, it's just a matter of how long it takes to get there.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
According to the rumor above, two space turtles will fit the Polaris Hangar, though you'll chip the paint since they will be touching.

I have thought about the Turtles quite a bit. The problem in identifying the best solution is first that we don't know what size the hangar will be and second, we don't know the scan radius difference between small and medium radars. But lets guess for a moment. Lets presume Medium radar has twice the radius of Small radar. That is a fair guess since it results in 4X the scan area, but for stealth recon spotters, we don't care about static scan area. What I'm interested in is area scanned by a drifting stealth package over time.

So if a particular target has a signature that a Razor can spot at 10 km, the Turtle can spot it at 20 km. The Razor is scanning a width 20 km wide at 325, and the Turtle is scanning 40 km wide at 210. The Turtle is scanning 840 square km/second and the Razor only 650. Thing is, you know the Polaris can fit at least 4 Razors and at most 2 turtles. So best guess given this presumption about small and medium scan range is 2 turtles is 1,680 sq km/s, verses 4 Razors is 2,600 sq km/s.

It is all bonus that the Razors are much harder to spot and can outrun anything that spots them, hence my prejudice, and note sicne the Turtles need a dedicated scan operator, you're paying the same number of NPCs either way. Just note that if the Medium scan radius is 3X that of Small, then math tllts the other way.

Last edited:

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I'm guessing. It's only a guess. They don't need to all fit at once anyway. They only need to refuel. However, it does seem if they'll fit, they'll make large jumps much, much more quickly. The benefit of using them as stealth recon spotters for the Polaris Torps is they will coast uncoupled at VERY high speed--325.

Scan area is a radius circle, so the area you can scan is quadratic (r^2) with scan radius, however; if you are scanning a region by drifting through it, the area you can scan over time is linear with radius, so it matters much less that the scan is short radius if the movement is very high. Looks like a plausible solution so far.

Current rumor is the Polaris bay is 29L x 21.5W x 8.95H. That's until the entire ship goes through the size creep from the new dimensioning of all the walls, etc. The ship could easily go from 155m to 180m and the bay would grow with it. If not, then it would only fit 4, but it only needs to grow just a little to fit 6 and that seems likely. Also, there is room to stack Razor's 3 high if there ever develops a way to do that. I would not be surprised if 6 Razors and 6 X1 Force bikes will fit in the hangar, but we need to wait and see. Will likely be another 2 years.

Point is, I can imagine paying to keep 6 top-quality NPC pilots on tap for use with Vanguards and Razors. If all the NPCs do is launch missiles from Harbingers, I think they will be able to manage, and if all they do is drift a sector to scan, that could work too. This keeps the real players available for the real thinking tasks.
And how do you propose those Razor pilots will exit their craft if they are all touching inside the bay? Same question goes for getting into the Razors.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
According to the rumor above, two space turtles will fit the Polaris Hangar, though you'll chip the paint since they will be touching.

I have thought about the Turtles quite a bit. The problem in identifying the best solution is first that we don't know what size the hangar will be and second, we don't know the scan radius difference between small and medium radars. But lets guess for a moment. Lets presume Medium radar has twice the radius of Small radar. That is a fair guess since it results in 4X the scan area, but for stealth recon spotters, we don't care about static scan area. What I'm interested in is area scanned by a drifting stealth package over time.

So if a particular target has a signature that a Razor can spot at 10 km, the Turtle can spot it at 20 km. The Razor is scanning a width 20 km wide at 325, and the Turtle is scanning 40 km wide at 210. The Turtle is scanning 840 square km/second and the Razor only 650. Thing is, you know the Polaris can fit at least 4 Razors and at most 2 turtles. So best guess given this presumption about small and medium scan range is 2 turtles is 1,680 sq km/s, verses 4 Razors is 2,600 sq km/s.

It is all bonus that the Razors are much harder to spot and can outrun anything that spots them, hence my prejudice, and note sicne the Turtles need a dedicated scan operator, you're paying the same number of NPCs either way. Just note that if the Medium scan radius is 3X that of Small, then math tllts the other way.
You may want to try some of these ships and see how they perform/fly before buying your theoretical fleet. Plus, with the game being in development, things like how far out a ship can spot something, is gonna change on the fly as checks and balances occur throughout gameplay.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
I currently have:

- Aurora MR
- Cutlass Red
- Apollo Triage
- Endeavor Hope

As you can see, I'm interested in several professions and I couldn't decide between them. *the Aurora is mandatory so I couldn't ditch it

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
And how do you propose those Razor pilots will exit their craft if they are all touching inside the bay? Same question goes for getting into the Razors.
Yeah, and there are other problems too. I'm not gonna be too concerned until we know more about radar, NPC pilots, and the actual size of the Polaris bay, but I think it is likely it will grow at least enough to fit up to 6 Razors, so although that's not a firm plan, that's a notion for a future "fleet".

What I'm not interested in is lots of ships that all do different things. I'm never gonna have 20 hours per week to play. If I change my mind how I want to spend my time, a Polaris can be retasked for exploration. Otherwise I'd need to change my holdings I think.

Flying a Star G and a Reclaimer both have an appeal, just you need to do one thing to be good at it and right now, "kill things and take their treasure" sounds best to me.

Mar 11, 2019
RSI Handle
Draf
Was about to post that, yet I haven’t even made my fleet in there yet.

Orion
Carrack
BMM
Caterpillar
Cutlass Black
Mercury Star Runner
Arrow
Dragonfly Black

...I really want a Valkyrie now that I have flown in one and done a few bunker clearing missions. Or maybe it is like owning a boat. I don’t want a boat, I want a good friend who owns a boat/Valkyrie.

Edited to add pic of fleet

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
fleetview(6).jpg

The next question is what are their names?

Form left to right:

Endeavor: Ambergris.
Connie Taurus: Reoccurring Tendencies 2.
Vabguard: Lopeta Tama (The phrase "Stop This" in the Finnish language. Stop, Finnish, geddit?)
350R: Zero Hour (namesd after one of the last things I wrote on the old RSI forums before they closed)
Aurora LN: War Rocket Ajax (Like the one from Flash Gordon)
M50: Sofiya (after her original owner)
X1: Official T (after that random forum section appeared in spectrum under "Official" that was called "T")
Tumbril RN: Juicero Dream (Because when a man like Doug has a dream and a delightfully sarcastic advert...)
Grey-cat: Mario (As in Mario Kart. I have mapped out a Kart track around the Levski Mine lip which is actually not bad, i just need a bunch of dudes to test it with. While testing it solo my engine caught fire which was interesting...)

atpbx

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
General Fisting
My fleet says nothing as it changes every buyback token, at the moment it is 2016 Armada pack with the shitty Starfarer CCud to a BMM, the Superhornet with the Heartseeker upgrade and thats it.

I am only interested in pottering about doing mission board stuff and some hauling, so Ive just consolidated my spending into the most expensive in game asset I can get at the moment (the Idris) and then so long as I've got enough ships to piss around in doing what I want to do without worrying about respawn timers as I am not paying insurance claim fees, ever, then I am happy enough.

Forgot your password?