Fleet ship predictions and expectations.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I guess with the sale coming around once a year where you can get just about any ship I wanted to ask around and get an idea about fleet options, what kind of ships are niche and what do people think will be lacking when it comes to fleet maneuvers etc.... I have a feeling this will be the year where people start doing more fleet or group size missions, both land and space so with that being said...

What do people see as missing or not very many of when it comes to support or fleet type ships? Like combat, mining, hauling, exploration most of these are well covered as they are typically the more popular professions in the game obviously currently because not many things have not been implemented yet but with all the progress this year have people been buying land vehicles? Military oriented ships or land based vehicles? More niche type vessels like repair, salvage, S&R, specifically torpedo or bomber type ships?

Main reason I ask is because the sale is once a year you may not get a chance at some of the more niche ships for quite some time and wanted some opinions to help me decide I already have a few personal ships in the hanger but wanted an idea what to get so I could get into some of the fleet or group activities that wouldn't be overly redundant.

Thanks!

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
We don't have enough Auroras, that's for sure.
The other thing we lack is turret gunners.
Like I'm sure we could spawn like 10 Javelins no problem, but with everyone flying their own Javelin, where is the crew to man the stations?

I don't think we'd really lack any ship type, I'm fairly sure we're absolutely saturated with everything.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Vulcan and Crucible are two ships that don't seem to be very popular but are super useful. SAR seems to be more popular with the Apollo/Cutlass Red but no one ever complained about having quicker medical care.

I'm a hypocrite because I have neither, but the support role doesn't interest me for SC. 🤷‍♂️

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Vulcan and Crucible are two ships that don't seem to be very popular but are super useful. SAR seems to be more popular with the Apollo/Cutlass Red but no one ever complained about having quicker medical care.

I'm a hypocrite because I have neither, but the support role doesn't interest me for SC. 🤷‍♂️

I was looking at a Vulcan today, the Crucible looks super complicated to me not sure I could handle it but I also think it scares a lot of people away because it looks complicated lmao. And I actually agree so many ships not enough crewmembers may be an issue, I mean AI will always be available but never as good I may actually crew a ship just as much as fly my own its just the timing issues but I guess as a crewmember you will always be needed on someone's ship!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

I'm still leaning towards owning a support shit myself. I love the look of the Vulcan, but that Crucible has a lot of hidden talent packed into a relatively cheap hull.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I don't think the Starfarer will be lacking in numbers, but depending on what range it has will depend on how it's utilised.

The Vulcans Black Buck mission bombing the runway of Stanly in the Falklands conflict is a way over the top example of something like 11 refulers helping a payload to its target:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eox5ePddzyQ

Until the Kraken came out and you'll be able to carry all the Gladiators you can eat to a destination. So... thats all up in the air right now.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Is a support shit the one that if you put a little vest on your number 2 they let you bring it into stores and on airplanes?

or maybe

:love:
It's more like a knee brace for my shit.
I don't think the Starfarer will be lacking in numbers, but depending on what range it has will depend on how it's utilised.

The Vulcans Black Buck mission bombing the runway of Stanly in the Falklands conflict is a way over the top example of something like 11 refulers helping a payload to its target:

Until the Kraken came out and you'll be able to carry all the Gladiators you can eat to a destination. So... thats all up in the air right now.
Well, even that Kraken will need to be refueled.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
I actually think larger military ships are well covered (at least from people who post), as in all things ship pick by looks, pick by functionality or just back the development but don't fall in love with concept ships. If you have a ship type in your locker you can still crew someone elses if you want but you wont have to worry about it not being available if you own it yourself. If you are going to invest a bit then covering different roles seem to make sense since we do not really know how his will all develop. Some ships of course are just harder to get (i.e. the very largest ones and require enormous investment for a video game).

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

A pair of Starfarer Gemini (Scoops not missiles), a Hercules M2, possibly a Hull-C,. and 2-4 Vulcans could operate as a mobile FARP for 2-3 squadrons of Wardens, a Squadron of Harbingers and 2-3 sentinels for long periods of time.

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
The A2 has been mentioned here a few times. I bought that on the hopes that when it's finally built CIG realizes that it needs some fire-power on its back considering it's belly is peppered with guns like a pregnant cat's belly is peppered with swollen nipples. So I would agree, I expect the A2 to be rare, but I also can't say I expect it to be commonly useful. I picked up a Polaris for fleet maneuvers, that ship will let me carry a fighter and provide significant combat support when needed both against fighters and capitol ships based on the competence of my crew and turret gunners. I can see the Carrack being useful in fleet maneuvers, mainly for scanning and probably giving the fleet direction. That said the Carrack has strong turrets and I think will be able to defend it self in fleet actions, but it would be advisable to have it flying next to a Hammer-Head or Polaris depending on what we're facing.

Anyway, I'm kind of rambling, my 4yo woke me up at 6:30 this morning and coffee hasn't kicked in. ;)

Forgot your password?