Flight Control Tips and Tricks?

UbEcLoWn

Space Marshal
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
UbEcLoWn
Do you guys know of any good tips and tricks for flying and dogfighting? I've been playing around in the Arena Commander module and still feel a bit lacking in the skill department. For example...I know you can adjust forward shield and rear shield power but don't know how to do it. How do I put full power to weapon systems? Benefits of uncoupling in combat? Things like that.

Basically there doesn't seem to be much training other than just flying around and hitting buttons to see what they do. I suppose in that regard I'm a true test pilot. I've run into many things.

Jumanx.

Captain
Nov 26, 2013
RSI Handle
Jumanx
I have absolutely no idea how to use any of the HUD stuff. It would be great if someone made/linked a tutorial that explained how to use it

Mackabeez

Lieutenant
Jun 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Mackabeez
Decoupled mode is a nice tool. When I'm flying I use it to strafe a target as it passes by me. You can also decouple for a turn. Doing a 180 degree turn in Decoupled mode will bring your craft to a stop momentarily when you re-engage coupled mode, however you can have guns on target during the entire turn if need be. Also if your not using Ctrl+F mode, it really comes down to not over correcting and learning your ships handling. Put the mouse where you want your ship to go and keep it on that point in space. The ship will follow, just make sure not to over correct as the ship changes course. *Note: To toggle Coupled/Decoupled use Caps. To toggle between Comstab and G-safe, use Ctrl+Caps

So far I have not seen a significant change in handling with the other two modes Comstab and G-Safe. G-Safe just allows you to turn tighter and accelerate faster, with obvious side effects (good for desperate situations). Disabling Comstab disengages the system that helps smooth out your turns. So there is a "sliding effect" as you turn with it off. Your ship will want to continue on its original path as you turn, resulting in some "sliding" in the original direction of travel (but it doesn't seem like a lot in the simulator).

Also, do what we do best. TEST! Hit up free flight mode and mess around with the controls and modes. Observe your ships path as your press random buttons wildly while trying not to spill your beer.

Good luck

Jumanx.

Captain
Nov 26, 2013
RSI Handle
Jumanx
I have already been playing around a lot with the decoupled mode and the different safe modes. Hopefully we will be able to change it soon so that it is closer to how I had my Diaspora setup because I really liked how that worked. What is the Ctrl-F mode?

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
As to the power management issues, look into the third party app, voice attack. There are a few posts on the forums and more on the reddit, and threes more than a few posted profiles. I can upload my own as well. What it will allow you to do is manage your shield and power settings without futzing about in the HUD, which is a huge advantage in a big dogfight.
EDIT OH HEY, HERE IT IS
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4CRed1FS4t8ZHEtTUJLYTVTd2M/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

UbEcLoWn

Space Marshal
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
UbEcLoWn
Excellent. Thanks for the tips. I definitely think there should be some tutorials made. Perhaps on YouTube or maybe a detailed write up.

Mackabeez

Lieutenant
Jun 3, 2014
RSI Handle
Mackabeez
@Jumanx, Ctrl+F switches between a moving and static reticle. Some people find it easier to fly with the static as it feels more like instantaneous input to output when pitching and yawing the ship w/ mouse and key.

@Ultra, Thanks for the tip on voice attack. Downloading it now. Sounds like a really freakin useful program. Never heard about it till very recently. Also, I've futz'ed about in the HUD, but haven't managed to do anything but randomly re-group my weapons. What are the key strokes to redirect energy and shields??

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
there aren't any yet, at least not in the sense of pressing one button to direct power to weapons or something.

Kertys

Lieutenant
Jun 7, 2014
RSI Handle
Kertys
AC manual says that the HUD is getting a redesign in upcoming revisions. I agree that it's not at all intuitive right now.

I have found IFSC mode is good enough for most flying purposes but strafe will give us more options. In the basic mode just brake and turn hard, and then accelerate agian.

Forgot your password?