Flight-sticko Problemo

Spacer-Steve

Captain
Apr 19, 2018
RSI Handle
Caspari
I recently came into possession of two (2!) Virpil Constellation Delta flight-sticks with WarBRD bases. I assembled them, being extra careful to ensure the connections were good and plugged them into my unpowered USB hub. My computer doesn't recognize them at all except to show two "VPC Bootstrapper" connections under "Devices" in Windows settings. There are no indications of power to either stick (no lights).

Thinking it might be the USB hub, I disconnected and tried plugging straight into my tower and restarting. No difference.

I downloaded the calibration/set-up software and it might be seeing one of the sticks, but when I try to update the firmware it doesn't recognize the bootstrapper.

I've ordered a new powered USB hub and will try that, but seeing as nothing changed when I plugged the sticks into my tower, I'm not too optimistic. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reactions: Deroth

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I'm not familiar with Virpil, do they have a support you can call or email?

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I recently came into possession of two (2!) Virpil Constellation Delta flight-sticks with WarBRD bases. I assembled them, being extra careful to ensure the connections were good and plugged them into my unpowered USB hub. My computer doesn't recognize them at all except to show two "VPC Bootstrapper" connections under "Devices" in Windows settings. There are no indications of power to either stick (no lights).

Thinking it might be the USB hub, I disconnected and tried plugging straight into my tower and restarting. No difference.

I downloaded the calibration/set-up software and it might be seeing one of the sticks, but when I try to update the firmware it doesn't recognize the bootstrapper.

I've ordered a new powered USB hub and will try that, but seeing as nothing changed when I plugged the sticks into my tower, I'm not too optimistic. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Hey, if they don't work out, I'll give a decent price for them! lol...

I assume you've downloaded the latest software for them (it was updated today):
https://virpil-controls.eu/downloads/software.html

And that you've read the manual:
https://virpil.com/images/support/manuals/VPC-Configurator-V1.1-ENG.pdf

The reviews mention having to update the firmware, and how doing this and the software is un-intuitive...check out the second review on this page:
https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-warbrd-base.html

In particular, the one reviewer says:
-- the VERY negative.
The software for the joystick is terrible.. It took me houres of trying to update the firmware before i understood how it was supposed to be done, and i can see many other people have the same issue.
Basicly download the firmware, and select the file and update.. this part is logical and easy.. but it dosent work... the issue is that after you do this you have to load a profile for your joysticks axis and buttons start working.. this part is not logical.
And even worse if you really want to tweak something then the software is not intuiative and not easy to use..
But lucky once you load the profile then you properbly never have to do it again, wich is a huge relief..
Personaly I had hoped the joystick software would allow me to make different profiles and quick load them based on what plane or game i play.
But i did not see such easy to use feature, so im forced to assign buttons inside the games and save their profiles for every game rather than having everything inside of the joystick software or maybe even better in menory of the joystick forever.!
Good luck! Like I said, if you want to unload them...let me know!

Spacer-Steve

Captain
Apr 19, 2018
RSI Handle
Caspari
Hey, if they don't work out, I'll give a decent price for them! lol...

I assume you've downloaded the latest software for them (it was updated today):
https://virpil-controls.eu/downloads/software.html

And that you've read the manual:
https://virpil.com/images/support/manuals/VPC-Configurator-V1.1-ENG.pdf

The reviews mention having to update the firmware, and how doing this and the software is un-intuitive...check out the second review on this page:
https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-warbrd-base.html

In particular, the one reviewer says:

Good luck! Like I said, if you want to unload them...let me know!
I hadn't seen that review. It's sad, but it soothes my fragile ego at the same time as I know I'm not the only one having problems. I have downloaded the software and followed the instructions in the manual but the software is seeing nothing but one bootstrapper (not synced, no actual sticks) and when I try to update the firmware, it says there's no bootstrapper. I'm gonna keep plugging away at it when I have time. Thank you!

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I hadn't seen that review. It's sad, but it soothes my fragile ego at the same time as I know I'm not the only one having problems. I have downloaded the software and followed the instructions in the manual but the software is seeing nothing but one bootstrapper (not synced, no actual sticks) and when I try to update the firmware, it says there's no bootstrapper. I'm gonna keep plugging away at it when I have time. Thank you!
I know! For the price, the stick should set up itself (and give you a hand job, while it's at it).

Also, check out this video at about 5:12 on...he talks about how you have to download all the software, upgrade the firmware, & then tell it exactly what grip & base you have, "and then your stick will work."
View: https://youtu.be/OorqqwHBsOo?t=312

Spacer-Steve

Captain
Apr 19, 2018
RSI Handle
Caspari
I know! For the price, the stick should set up itself (and give you a hand job, while it's at it).

Also, check out this video at about 5:12 on...he talks about how you have to download all the software, upgrade the firmware, & then tell it exactly what grip & base you have, "and then your stick will work."
View: https://youtu.be/OorqqwHBsOo?t=312
I just finished watching that one and then found this one too:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSSDdieyZDg

My computer just isn't seeing either stick. They aren't even visible under Game Controllers. I'm gonna keep at it though. You won't get my sticks so easily!! 😉

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I just finished watching that one and then found this one too:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSSDdieyZDg

My computer just isn't seeing either stick. They aren't even visible under Game Controllers. I'm gonna keep at it though. You won't get my sticks so easily!! 😉
Lol, I really do want you to get your sticks working...but if something goes wrong, I'll give them a nice home here!

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
I know you have already ordered one, but from everything I've read and experienced, a powered USB hub is a must for HOTAS or dual sticks. You are basically just ensuring that you are not going to lose power to the sticks while you are flying.

Reactions: Spacer-Steve

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Are you plugging them into 2.0 or 3.0 USB ports?
I've had issues in the past with other brands not liking 2.0 USB ports.

Last edited:

Spacer-Steve

Captain
Apr 19, 2018
RSI Handle
Caspari
Are you plugging then into 2.0 or 3.0 USB ports?
I've had issues in the past with other brands not liking 2.0 USB ports.

UPDATE: Tried with new powered USB 3.0 hub. No change. Manual says either 3.0 or 2.0 should work. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Unless the manual specifically states to only use 3.0 ports maybe try one in a 2.0 and one in a 3.0 port to see if there's any difference.

Reactions: Radegast74

Spacer-Steve

Captain
Apr 19, 2018
RSI Handle
Caspari
UPDATE: I finally got the computer to recognize the stick. The configuration tool requires a path (folder) be created for the firmware. It looks like there is already one loaded, but in actuality there is a tiny folder icon that needs pressing and it prompts you to pick the path. So... I got that taken care of. Got one of the sticks working as expected but the other one is having a problem with the Y Axis. The "Raw Data" bounces erratically between the values of 0, 12234 & 66304. This is a still, but check it out:

1381925884_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.e3ebbd608bcd6c6d06c0dda9f8891be9.png

I've unattached/reattached all the USB connections, deleted and reloaded the device profiles and even disassembled the WarBRD base and inspected the wiring connections. All I haven't done (I think) is disassemble/inspect the grip. Waiting to hear back from Virpil (they must be super busy) but I'll try to update this as I go.

Thanks to everyone who's helped out.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
UPDATE: I finally got the computer to recognize the stick. The configuration tool requires a path (folder) be created for the firmware. It looks like there is already one loaded, but in actuality there is a tiny folder icon that needs pressing and it prompts you to pick the path. So... I got that taken care of. Got one of the sticks working as expected but the other one is having a problem with the Y Axis. The "Raw Data" bounces erratically between the values of 0, 12234 & 66304. This is a still, but check it out:

View attachment 11176

I've unattached/reattached all the USB connections, deleted and reloaded the device profiles and even disassembled the WarBRD base and inspected the wiring connections. All I haven't done (I think) is disassemble/inspect the grip. Waiting to hear back from Virpil (they must be super busy) but I'll try to update this as I go.

Thanks to everyone who's helped out.
Have you ran their calibration tool and the Windows calibration tool?
A stick I had a long time ago from a different manufacturer had a similar issue until I ran a few calibrations with their tool and the OS calibration tool.

Spacer-Steve

Captain
Apr 19, 2018
RSI Handle
Caspari
Have you ran their calibration tool and the Windows calibration tool?
A stick I had a long time ago from a different manufacturer had a similar issue until I ran a few calibrations with their tool and the OS calibration tool.
Yes, I've tried. The Windows calibration tool shows it's wonky too.

Spacer-Steve

Captain
Apr 19, 2018
RSI Handle
Caspari
UPDATE: Don't know why I didn't think to try this before, but I attempted to set up the stick on a separate computer and am experiencing the exact same problems. Keeping in mind that my second stick has no issues, it's gotta be the hardware, right?

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Yeah, as long as you are sticking it directly in (no intermediated hub, etc.) and you are getting the same exact results from two different computers...and the other stick was ok...then it has got to be a hardware problem on the second stick.

How much is postage to Bulgaria?

Spacer-Steve

Captain
Apr 19, 2018
RSI Handle
Caspari
Yeah, as long as you are sticking it directly in (no intermediated hub, etc.) and you are getting the same exact results from two different computers...and the other stick was ok...then it has got to be a hardware problem on the second stick.

How much is postage to Bulgaria?
Bunches, I'm sure. I still have some funds left from what I set aside for this project, so I should be good. It's a pain in the butt, but I'm still excited for when it all comes together.

Forgot your password?