Formatting micro SD for dash cams

MegaMonkey

Vice Admiral
Sep 12, 2017
RSI Handle
MegaMonkey
Sorry if this is not the kind of place for these questions but I'd appreciate any help I can get at this point.

From what I understand, dash cams can work with 32GB micro SD card, I got a 64GB micro SD card and after much searching the web, I found that if you format it to FAT32 file system, dash cams should be able to use it.

This is not working for me for some reason... Anyone here had to face the same issue?

More tech stuff below:

What I tried so far:
1) To format the card to FAT32 with 32KB allocation unit size, the size still shows 64GB for the whole card on windows, so not sure if that's an indication this won't work on the dash cam?
2) To create a partition the size of < 32GB and leaving the rest unallocated, also didn't work, didn't see this option anywhere but I said might as well try that...

In both cases the cam says "no tf card found", I've got an old samsonix dual dash cam (can't find a manual for it on the internet even, not sure the model number), so can't say if it even supports 32GB or limited to 16Gb (the current card I got in it that works).

Thanks in advance for any help 🍻

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Sometimes the camera or device you are using has a max Gb amount the card can use to work properly. Research your specific device and see what the requirements/limitations are for your dash cam first.

MegaMonkey

Vice Admiral
Sep 12, 2017
RSI Handle
MegaMonkey
Sometimes the camera or device you are using has a max Gb amount the card can use to work properly. Research your specific device and see what the requirements/limitations are for your dash cam first.
Yeah, I did mention I was unable to find a manual for the cam, just want to be sure if there are some other things to try before I throw in the towel
:thump:

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Yes, the one i've been running for the last 5 years has a 64GB limit, found that out when I tried to dump a 128 in it.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Yeah, I did mention I was unable to find a manual for the cam, just want to be sure if there are some other things to try before I throw in the towel
:thump:
Have you tried googling the name/model of the dash cam? Usually you can find that info printed/etched into the actual product.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
^ This, and you have to make sure the partition is MBR and not GUID or any other weird set up (in addition to making sure the format is FAT32).

I'm finding a lot of the microSD cards over 32GB are pre-formatted exFAT with a GUID partition. You have to nuke that and make the partition Master Boot Record.

Last edited:

MegaMonkey

Vice Admiral
Sep 12, 2017
RSI Handle
MegaMonkey
^ This, and you have to make sure the partition is MBR and not GUID or any other weird set up (in addition to making sure the format is FAT32).

I'm finding a lot of the microSD cards over 32GB are pre-formatted exFAT with a GUID partition. You have to nuke that and make the partition Master Boot Record.
Aha, didn't check that it's MBR, that's a good lead, thanks. I'll update if I manage to make it work.

@Printimus Sadly the cam doesn't have a name or model printed on it, so I got no clue other than it's made by samsonix. I looked at their website and none of the models they have there matches what I have.

Reactions: Radegast74

at-2500

Vice Admiral
Donor
Aug 24, 2018
RSI Handle
at2500
Hey. The size itself is actually not important, people just say the 32GB limit because it coincides with the maximum size for the older standard.
There are 3 different versions of SD cards: the original SD, the faster and bigger SDHC, and the current SDXC.
A newer card reader always supports older versions, but older readers don't support newer cards.

VersionMaximum Card SizeCan be read from SD readerCan be read from SDHC readerCan be read from SDXC reader
SD2GB:like::like::like:
SDHC32GB:like::like:
SDXC2TB:like:

It is very easy to figure out what kind of card you have as it is written on the card, but very difficult what kind of reader.
Sometimes, the slot has either the SD, SDHC or SDXC logo besides it.
If that is not the case, maybe the camera software from the manufacturer reports the name of it?

Reactions: Radegast74

MegaMonkey

Vice Admiral
Sep 12, 2017
RSI Handle
MegaMonkey
Hey. The size itself is actually not important, people just say the 32GB limit because it coincides with the maximum size for the older standard.
There are 3 different versions of SD cards: the original SD, the faster and bigger SDHC, and the current SDXC.
A newer card reader always supports older versions, but older readers don't support newer cards.

VersionMaximum Card SizeCan be read from SD readerCan be read from SDHC readerCan be read from SDXC reader
SD2GB:like::like::like:
SDHC32GB:like::like:
SDXC2TB:like:

It is very easy to figure out what kind of card you have as it is written on the card, but very difficult what kind of reader.
Sometimes, the slot has either the SD, SDHC or SDXC logo besides it.
If that is not the case, maybe the camera software from the manufacturer reports the name of it?
Well I think your explanation is exactly what I needed, as my 64GB card is indeed SDXC, while the current 16GB one working in the cam is SDHC. So in short the reader in the cam is probably an SDHC one... Dang...

Thanks a lot for the explanation tho, appreciated 🍻
:o7:

Forgot your password?