FPS Questions

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
From another thread (I didn't want to hijack)

Wallace had the Inquisitor set on with the Morning Star helmet. You can get it in Grim Hex.

If you have questions about armor I made a very obnoxious... err informative video about it.
Great vid! And yeah, obnoxious but funny. Excellent work.

I poked around and what it seems is, for any combat situation I probably want heavy torso, since it enables 4 grenades and a heavy weapon, but I probably want medium or even light for everything else to aid mobility. I don't want a heavy helmet because it does indeed restrict your vision. You can't even see all your mobiglass options with a heavy helmet on.

I can't find a list anywhere of special attributes, but it looks like most of the enhancements like EVA, lighting, movement, etc. are on light armor.

10% difference between medium and heavy armor might not sound like much, but indeed it does make a huge difference. Watch this guy:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oEnGgccQ00

Scanning the numbers of weapons one can carry with each armor necessarily begs the question, do you slow down the more you carry? Just because heavy torso can carry 4 weapons doesn't mean you'd want to carry more than one. Personally I think it's nuts people carry a pistol when also carrying a SMG. That SR71 looks pretty great. Most missions that would be enough for me unless there is no penalty for carry more weapons, in which case a P4 (with Tau Plus) and Scalpel might make more sense, at least outdoors.

Reactions: Vavrik

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
Normally, I run with Hvy Helmet and Torso, Light Arms and Legs. If you go heavier on the arms and legs, your heart rate really ramps up fast.
Here is a database that shows how armor and weapons are in the game. FPS Data 3.5.0
Since the Head and Torso are what can take critical hits and kill you, they are the ones that you should protect the most. This loadout still keeps you very close to the max movement speed, while offering good survivability.

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Wow, this is huge: FPS Data 3.5.0

Thanks so much for this. Now it is obvious that you do not want to carry things like pistols. BTW, there are great reasons soldiers do not carry pistols or "back up weapons". They carry secondary weapons for special purposes.

Very cool speed calculator at bottom. Now just need to find a list of the special enhancements like lighting, EVA, etc.

You can see you're gonna be stuck with choices about whether to carry a multitool or an extra magazine, etc. And they still haven't added perosnal shields to the game, which will likely be heavy.

Reactions: Bambooza

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Thanks so much! All of this helps enormously.

One thing the calculator points out in excruciating detail is how many people are making vids with very sorry loadouts. I see many people running missions with 4 weapons. For the same reason soldiers carry one weapon, you really ought to try to make due with just 1. Simply adding a sniper rifle drops your armor or your speed and stamina, or all three. I see people on vids carrying a couple nearly identical weapons all the time. Can't be a good thing.

Joe, you're moving at 85% and it seems fast enough? Do you notice serous difference at 80%?

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
Thanks so much! All of this helps enormously.

One thing the calculator points out in excruciating detail is how many people are making vids with very sorry loadouts. I see many people running missions with 4 weapons. For the same reason soldiers carry one weapon, you really ought to try to make due with just 1. Simply adding a sniper rifle drops your armor or your speed and stamina, or all three. I see people on vids carrying a couple nearly identical weapons all the time. Can't be a good thing.

Joe, you're moving at 85% and it seems fast enough? Do you notice serous difference at 80%?

You can notice the difference, or at least I feel I can. With just a Undersuit vs having a loadout of two heavies and two light armors, I can tell that I am moving a bit slower. But not so slow as to adversely effect my combat. It is running long distances (say to a bunker) that you can really feel it. The big thing is my heart rate, it barely goes over 145 with two heavies and two light, but goes over 177 with two heavies and two mediums, and over 200 with all heavy gear. You also use up more oxygen the higher your heart rate, so keep lots of Oxy pens on hand.

Reactions: Bambooza

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Yeah, and the gun sways around in your hands further and faster they higher your heart rate, so you want to keep it low. I think I heard anything over 110 makes it harder to hit the target. Also hits in the arms make the gun sway more.

Forgot your password?