Freelancer Commercial and Variants

hexig

Lieutenant
Mar 22, 2014
RSI Handle
hexig
So the Freelancer commercial is out:

And also the line of Freelancer variants! The MIS hull (missile boat) looks like a boss... do people think it'd be useful in our Fleets?

Edit: Does anyone know if you keep your LTI if you apply an upgrade package to an existing ship with LTI?

Grimm Jester

Admiral
Jun 1, 2014
RSI Handle
Grimm_Jester
You do keep the LTI yes, I upgraded my freelancer to a MAX as soon as it was revealed. The MAX is indeed a solid bet, especially since it would appear that it's a limited copy, there are some in Test that have already gotten one but it's definitly a safe bet.
The DUR also shows some prowess in being usefull especially in the early stages of the PU to get an edge in exploration but I would understand if that's not your thing however being able to share quick intel between members would give us a rather good edge on deciding where to settle down.
Personally I would have gone for the MIS if it wasn't a bit to expensive and I wasn't planning on going full merchantile. The MAX does have the advantages of added cargo capacity, dual the engines and a higher level plant to be implemented, and it has the same weapon capabilities as the standard, it just comes with less from the factory.
The MIS will probably be a very good addition to any lineup due to it being a 1-2 crew ship, and the automated weapon racks having the capabilities of up to over 50 missiles, which would make you able to fire upon quite a lot of targets before having to head into base. It does sacrifice some of the Lancer's cargo space though so it's less valuable for merchantile purpouses.

starkestrel

Space Marshal
Nov 3, 2013
RSI Handle
starkestrel
I'm tempted to scrap my 315p for a Freelancer variant, but I like the idea of my explorer vessel having LTI. I also may want to work my way up in-game to my trading vessel.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
This commercial is a disgusting piece of propaganda and I can't believe you guys fell for it.

Those "evil" Cutlasses that were killed by the "good guy" Freelancer pirate?

Unarmed.

"Okay, maybe they're really shitty pirates" you might say. And you might be right if they Freelancer didn't have a skull and crossbones on it.

And the cargo? One rule: NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Congrats Freelancer pilot; you succesively murdered 2 local militia trying to scan you (with their shields down!) for contraband and then snuck a bunch of illegal goods on world. And people say DRAKE ships are bad.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I feel like the MIS would be very useful for fleets. Its like a budget constellation in terms of missile armament, though the other anti-ship weapons, and ESPECIALLY the cargo capacity, are lacking in comparison. Its a relatively maneuverable missile boat that is cheaper to maintain, buy and crew than the constellation.

Essentially, its a pocket battleship. It has the guns of the big boys (in this case having only a slightly inferior missile load than the constellation, due to its requirement to fire 20 then reload), but defensive assets comparable to fighters. 4 size 2 missiles, and this thing will have its shields down and be considerably damaged, if not destroyed.

These things were built to strike en masse from a distance, unload their first set of missiles, let the reloading mechanism give em 20 more, unload those, then run like hell before the surviving hornets and 300i's get a chance to close. You could potentially halve an enemy strike group with anything short of a corvette before they had time to respond if you had 6 or more MIS in a group.

However, its not perfect, there are drawbacks. a constellation can haul twice as much mass as a MAX, then outfight a MIS, and thats not even considering if it launched its snub fighter to deal even more damage. If you can afford the constellation, get one. If all you've got is 165 dollars, then you will be able to cause more damage with the MIS in a shorter time frame than any thing sold for less than 200 dollars.

regarding the LTI, no. You lose it if you melt it. However, upgrade, you should post that on the RSI forums. A moderator can handle that question better than us.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Just keep in mind that missiles might be expensive as tits. Restocking those 50-odd missiles might cost you 2-3 cargo runs just by itself, not counting any other repairs or fuel.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Just keep in mind that missiles might be expensive as tits. Restocking those 50-odd missiles might cost you 2-3 cargo runs just by itself, not counting any other repairs or fuel.
and that would make the constellation even more valuable. I hope it could pay to refit itself! But the MIS, it just has an abysmal cargo load.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
and that would make the constellation even more valuable. I hope it could pay to refit itself! But the MIS, it just has an abysmal cargo load.
True, but that cargo load is only going to be split 2 ways max (and it seems like you can very easily run the Freelancer solo), as opposed to the Constellations 3-4+

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
ooohh the jump ... sooo pretty

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
True, but that cargo load is only going to be split 2 ways max (and it seems like you can very easily run the Freelancer solo), as opposed to the Constellations 3-4+
And we can't forget, the new cargo values are wonky. We don't know if the 480 on the constellation is the real cargo, or the max cargo without consideration of the snub fighter.

Myugenlol

Captain
Jun 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Myugen
I couldn't help but think it was a Pick-up commercial.
<--Turn off

I'd rather buy a ship that has guns and missiles instead of wings, engines, and a cockpit.

VeryAngryOtter

Admiral
Feb 4, 2014
RSI Handle
VeryAngryOtter
Got the MIS, specifically because it sounds like it will just explode at the slightest hint of danger.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Hey Hexig! Good news! I just posted the question on the Question/Answer RSI forum, and if you upgrade the hull of your Freelancer to MIS, you keep the LTI. As long as your package contains LTI, and you upgrade the ship itself without melting it, you retain that LTI.

hexig

Lieutenant
Mar 22, 2014
RSI Handle
hexig
Hey Hexig! Good news! I just posted the question on the Question/Answer RSI forum, and if you upgrade the hull of your Freelancer to MIS, you keep the LTI. As long as your package contains LTI, and you upgrade the ship itself without melting it, you retain that LTI.
Awesome! Thanks for doing the leg work!

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Awesome! Thanks for doing the leg work!
mildly confused as to why you didn't! But I'm happy to help.

Expect a 35,000 credit withdrawal from your UEC account within the next 3 days

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
You do keep the LTI yes, I upgraded my freelancer to a MAX as soon as it was revealed. The MAX is indeed a solid bet, especially since it would appear that it's a limited copy, there are some in Test that have already gotten one but it's definitly a safe bet.
The DUR also shows some prowess in being usefull especially in the early stages of the PU to get an edge in exploration but I would understand if that's not your thing however being able to share quick intel between members would give us a rather good edge on deciding where to settle down.
Personally I would have gone for the MIS if it wasn't a bit to expensive and I wasn't planning on going full merchantile. The MAX does have the advantages of added cargo capacity, dual the engines and a higher level plant to be implemented, and it has the same weapon capabilities as the standard, it just comes with less from the factory.
The MIS will probably be a very good addition to any lineup due to it being a 1-2 crew ship, and the automated weapon racks having the capabilities of up to over 50 missiles, which would make you able to fire upon quite a lot of targets before having to head into base. It does sacrifice some of the Lancer's cargo space though so it's less valuable for merchantile purpouses.
sorry to burst your bubble, but the max will be on sale for the rest of the pledge period. The only limited edition free lancer is the MIS, which will go off the site permanently on the 16th, never to be seen again, until the PU beta rises from the depths of secrecy and darkness that surround CIG and its unreliable release schedule.

#Conniemasterrace

Forgot your password?