Freelancer...DUR or MAX, upgrade advice

Dorian Grey

Space Marshal
Feb 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Renstler
Greetings folks.

Now that I have the Cutlass and will probably become my daly driveer, I am considering upgrading my freelancer form the base model. I am conflicted as to which one. I like exploration of course and the DUR has been in my radar as an upgrade for a while. But, the MAX seems a bit more convenient as the cargo space is bigger and I can buy the modules to convert it to DUR in game I assume. Would you keep the base model? or upgrade?

Please suggestions !!

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Really just depends on what you want to do in the game. If you wanna explore more, go with the DUR, if you wanna become a space trucker, go with the MAX. Simple as that.
100% this. Exploration vs bigger cargo. If you can't decide, either don't upgrade or get the cheaper one.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
It's a tough one. Really it comes down to - what do you prefer? Exploration? Cargo?

For me - it's cargo. I'd go for the max. Though, for the just a bit more than the price of the Max you could get a connie Taurus and haul a lot more cargo. Or for a bit less, a Hull B which hauls even more.

I was mming and RRing about all the freelancers, I love the design I love how it flys. I went for the MIS in the end, it can carry a bit of cargo even with the missiles, and hopefully once they flesh out the modularity options in the game, I could pull out the missile rack and store some extra cargo. Maybe!

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
Cutlass Black limitation is ultimately exploration, it is and never will be better than the DUR so if you wish to have something in the same price range and better at something then it's the DUR as the Black doesn't even have a toilet so long range exploration is immediately out the window(as with a few things if you have the Black). Cargo both are almost close except the MAX is just better and does it better with it's efficient engines and more space so it's a no brainer.

I don't get the whole fuss over the Black as it's like 60% everything but 100% nothing, it's really just a basic utility ship that many people can benefit from having but if you focus on one thing then it's really not a great deal in the end. If you want cargo get the MAX or a Hull, if you want a fighter get anything but a Black, if you want an explorer get a DUR or Terrapin or Connie.

Honestly for a single job the Black is a terrible deal, but for many jobs it's a bargain. It's just a great handy Andy, and an awful one tricky pony and a lot of gamers like that and bought it because of it.

Sorry for being crude but it's true, it is a great ship to start you off in many career paths but is really not that great at any of them.

It's my favourite ship because of all of these factors, I know I can't beat a Super Hornet, I know I can't out hall a MAX, I know I can't reach the depths of a DUR or Terrapin ... but I can try and I will.

BluePilote

Space Marshal
Jun 25, 2017
RSI Handle
BluePilote
It always depend... what u want to do... max cargo, dur exploration... you could start with the Normal... it’s a great ship

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
For me, I chose the Max. It wasn't a difficult choice though since I actually have the Aquilla.... and a Carrack... and a 315p...

Honestly though, I might be getting rid of it. When I purchased the MAX, I was really excited for the concept. It had a spectacular power to weight ratio because it could have 4, TR5 main thrusters instead of the usual 2 on the other variants. It looked like the perfect smuggler of a cargo ship. Very few ships that are large enough to matter would be able to catch it.

Now though, the page is different (and not final, I know). It now says that the Max can have the same mains as the other variants. So by current stats, no extra thrust. It can just hold more cargo. The description is also different. It now says "The Freelancer MAX variant is for those who prize increased cargo capacity over everything else." It used to say "Freelancer variant with additional cargo capacity at the expense of weapons."

That makes me think that they will be throwing out the double main thrusters and just running the same engines as the other variants. It changes my smuggler into a really small cargo carrier. If it sacks weapons AND speed for cargo, you will be much better off with the DUR. For the price, you can get a much better cargo hauler.

Of course, everything is subject to change and this whole thing was a very healthy dose of theory. It could just be another mistake to add to the pile of mistakes on the ship stats pages...

Here is a picture of the original breakdown for comparison.
FreelancerStats1.jpg

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
I have a DUR, that is my explorer. I have a Cutlass, this is my short range, small cargo hauler. I have a Hull B, this is my long range, large cargo hauler...

I also have an Aurora for crashing into things..

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Dur is planned as my everyday ship also i think, depending on the kind of exploration you will be doing the MAX might be a good choice too. It definitly has more space to bring in a ground vehicle (GV).
My recent thoughts about "exploration" is:
1. Ask someone what he wants to do in the verse and he tells you "Exploration" (obviously not everyone but its currently what i have seen so far one of the most anticipated professions). When a lot of people doing the profession you wont earn not a lot of money
2. The whole exploration thing isn't really fleshed out yet. We don't know much, what we are going to do as a "explorer". How much profit will it be? How much risk will we have to take? Do Jump points have to be charted on a regular basis? Will an explorer have a need for GV? How much exploration will happen on the ground (again you might want a comfortable GV) and how much in space? How interesting/repetitive will be scanning? and so on
3. How much space will be needed if you head out into the unknown and want to bring home valuable stuff?
4. There are a lot of Carracks, DURs, 315p out there (in Test and space). They might need defense (Vanguard?) Also maybe with our severe amount of Starfarers "Long Range" Abilitys might not be that important.
5. It hasn't been fleshed out how much more range a DUR will have compared to the Black. (Keep in mind larger deep space exploration groups might bring in their own starfarer(s))

Currently i'm holding a CCU to to the MAX. I'm watching how the Caterpillar and its modularity is going to develop. If i don't like how the caterpillar turns out i might switch to a Max / Vanguard-Combo. (MAX for some midsize Cargo / Vanguard Warden for some explorer protection)

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
and I can buy the modules to convert it to DUR in game I assume.
You can not. The scanning sensors are part of the hull & the DUR has extra fuel tanks externally.

Would you keep the base model? or upgrade?
I would upgrade to the DUR.
It only holds 25% less cargo than the base model and can be used for exploration.
The Max is strictly for cargo hauling.

With the Cutlass Black & Freelancer DUR you would have a great duo fleet to start in the 'Verse.

BTW -- You might consider the Constellation Taurus.
It holds 2 1/2 times the cargo of the MAX & has a large smuggler hold.
The cost is comparable.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?