Full manned stolen Idris vs AI Idris fight - player control turrets

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Isn’t it clearly an exaggeration to call that “music”? Something any ten year-old can create with a $100 electric keyboard and a spare half hour surely does not qualify as “music”?
I have a few kids that would argue with you about that. I'm not really fond of the style myself, because it makes grey matter ooze out my left ear. But the instrumentation in that is actually pretty good.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I can't go back to listen again. Were they calling demons from the abyss?
Remember those old 45 rpm singles we had back then?

I look at it like a scratch in the vinal (click) scratch in the vinal (click) scratch in the vinal (zip)
I look at it like a scratch in the vinal (click) scratch in the vinal (click) scratch in the vinal (zip)

... Just think, there's an entire generation behind us that thinks that's music. It's not their fault, it's ours... all that cheap ass vinal we bought when they were toddlers.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
My observations;

It's funny that we are talking about the music on this video =) Idris brrrrrrt
Nelly (the artist this song is from) has millions and millions and millions of listens on his music, he was an influencer in his time and is actually a pretty decent rapper.
And this song was made for a movie
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0pRgvPWFBc

Old people are whining over music they don't like for some dumbass principal reason, I don't know which one exactly.
Wasn't a bad movie btw, but it's a remake of the 1974 original.

"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun" is more true in Hollywood than anywhere else.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
. . .It's funny that we are talking about the music on this video =) Idris brrrrrrt. . .
I hadn't intended a philosophical discussion. I was just being mean because it seemed funny.

But if we want to be serious a moment: IMHO, Rap is not music. It is poetry, but no musical ability is needed to produce Rap. I was not joking when I said a 10 year-old with a $100 electric keyboard can create this struff. I have spoken with dozens of youth intending to make it in the music industry and listened to the work of many of them, at least half dozen. What they create is at least as good as what wins awards. None of these people, rich or poor, are musicians. None of them can read or write music. None of them can actually play an instrument. Wrap does not require these things. It is not music, it is poetry set to the sounds any ten year old can make. Back in the 80's we called music played by people who don't play instruments "Punk". The significant difference is today's Rap is much better poetry, but it is still people making sounds much more than playing music.

Maybe I seem harsh? Listen carefully. I have never heard a Rap song the "music" from which couldn't be played with just two fingers at a time on an instrument. It's not music. It's poetry. That's why they don't feel the need to sing.

Reactions: Vavrik and mindfart

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Rap is music. Hip Hop is music.

As per Wikipedia

Rapping (also rhyming, spitting,[1] emceeing[2] or MCing[2][3]) is a musical form of vocal delivery that incorporates "rhyme, rhythmic speech, and street vernacular",[4] which is performed or chanted in a variety of ways, usually over a backing beat or musical accompaniment.[4] The components of rap include "content" (what is being said), "flow" (rhythm, rhyme), and "delivery" (cadence, tone).[5] Rap differs from spoken-word poetry in that it is usually performed off time to musical accompaniment.[6] Rap being a primary ingredient of hip hop music, it is commonly associated with that genre in particular; however, the origins of rap predate hip-hop culture by many years.
If you don't like it, that's your right. Don't 'diss' an entire genre though. There's a reason why Hip Hop albums have been dominating the Grammys and the Billboard Awards in the 2000s. Perhaps it's because people like it?

Listen to something by Gary Clark Jr. (ie. This Land) who mixes Blues Rock, Soul and Hip Hop together and tell me that's not music.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vavrik

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
In years past I certainly treated rap with respect and called it music, despite I was not a fan. It wasn't until I discovered all these rap artists who can't actually read or write music, and can't play any instruments, that I took this stance.

Using two fingers on a musical instrument of any sort, especially something as linear as a keyboard; and pretending that is "playing" the instrument, aids no one. You do not play a violin, or a guitar, or a keyboard, or ANY musical instrument with two fingers. That is not playing the instrument. That is playing with the instrument, as someone who can't play it.

I suggest y'all listen to some rap. If the melody is something any 10 year-old can play on a cheap plastic keyboard with two fingers, there is no crime in observing this. Western civilization is in decline and people won't notice if they're not allowed to make such observations. "Musicians can read and write sheet music" should not be a controversial statement.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Western civilization is in decline and people won't notice if they're not allowed to make such observations.
lol....I don't even know how to answer that.

Rap music ≠ the 'decline of Western civilization'

Any more observations you'll care to share that you derived from a fan made video of a video game?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If you're familiar with what Western Civilization is, then you know it is certainly in decline. Poetry posing as music is not in itself evidence of this, but when you look at the messages--telling the audience to rape the hoes and kill the cops--certainly you have evidence of a civilization in decline. CRT is teaching that science and mathematics are tools of the patriarchy used to oppress minorities. English majors no longer read Shakespeare. People are paid to stay home instead of work while ships back up at sea ports waiting to be unloaded with no fix in sight. Our national debt is so overwhelming no one thinks we'll ever be able to pay it off, and politicians look to new heights in spending because they simply do not care if they thrust the nation into spiraling inflation. Secondary hegemonies test the waters for taking Taiwan while third tier hegemonies win wars and walk away with tens of billions of dollars in loot.

Let me ask, if these are not signs of a culture in decline, what would or could count as a sign of such a thing? School kids argue against the notions of private property ownership in ways incompatible with all Western Civilization for 2,400 years. Political leaders every day offer proof positive that the Rule of Law is for the common man, not for the ruling elite. Our media has not cared about politicians lying since Obama's first days in office.

While these things are happening, one wonders what could count as evidence if not this? Does it ever seem to you common sense is becoming less common? That's a sign of something. Music without musicians is just a symptom, but if you're not allowed to say "musicians read and write music", you have to think on the forces that make you unable or unwilling to make that observation.

Western Civilization was built on the world view of the Greeks and Jews, that life is tragic and people need to be restrained from their worst impulses. Post-Modernism is teaching the opposite, that life can be utopian if we can just get our equity right. Western Civ was based upon notions of truth's objectivity, that people no longer embrace. Anyone watching the sciences knows there is more fraud now than at any time since modern science was created. Scientists lie ALL THE TIME. That's not how things were twenty years ago but that's how they are now.

But you tell me, what would or even could be a sign of the end of Western Civilization? What would it look like do you think?

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I was gonna say Microtech. Social media overload.
It's open to opinion, so take your pick. Lorville reminds me of Houston or TO, right down to the thousand year old rails for the city train system. microTech reminds me of Edmonton mostly but a little like Vancouver, so I see where that might come from.

Reactions: vahadar
Forgot your password?