Funding success story - will it continue in 2017?

Will the success story of CIG and Star Citizen continue in 2017?

• No way! Numbers will significantly drop in 2017; CIG will not collect more than 25m$

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • No, numbers will downsize in 2017; CIG will collect 26m$ up to 33m$ max.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Yes. Looking on the numbers in '15 and '16: CIG will hold this funding amount in 2017 around 35m$

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • You kidding? Fundrasing will explode by the time 3.0 is released. Definitely 40 m$ and above!!

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
So, Star Citizen has reached the 140 million Dollar funding line right at the end of 2016.
Overall, it is an un-fucking-believable success story up to now!
Lets have a look onto the numbers:
  • 2012: 7.2 million Dollars (+7.2 m$)
  • 2013: 35.6 million Dollars (+28.4 m$)
  • 2014: 68.5 million Dollars (+32.9 m$)
  • 2015: 104.5 million Dollars (+ 36.0 m$)
  • 2016: 140.6 million Dollars (+ 36.1 m$)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit

Following to these numbers, what do you think: will CIG continue its success in 2017? Will it be even greater than 2016? Or, following to critical voices which have recently risen, has CIG passed its zenith - ergo will the funding amounts decrease? Whats your suggestion?

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
I am not sure how to answer this. Community wise I find star citizen very friendly and helpful but to keep raising new funds they need to keep finding new donors and the new player experience does leave a lot to be desired. I mean you need a keyboard layout for running around on foot another one for flying. I know the information is out there and it is still alpha and by the looks will be for some time.

I also think the starter ships need to be a little more useful as in maybe they should be like the avenger (oh well gotta force people to upgrade I suppose).

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
If I have anything to do with it... YES.
I never stop talking about Star Citizen and TEST.
Airplane? Tell the people in my row they can keep flying long after we land.
Church? Pew pew pew!
In the toilet of the night club to those three drunks in the stall next to me doing naughty things? "Know what else has a dual wield joystick?"

Last edited:

Doc Shaftoe

Space Marshal
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
DocShaftoe
3.0 is going to be the deciding factor. I know a lot of people who are on the fence about Star Citizen but aren't willing to commit yet. They're looking for something more than just flying or some rudimentary shooting.

Once 3.0 drops, even in the buggy-ass stage we're sure to get, I think we're going to see a lot more people take notice. It'll be the first real test of the game. Up until now, everything has been built in separate parts to focus on the underlying systems. Alpha 3.0 is going to represent the community's first collective steps into a larger world. If CIG can deliver on 3.0, make it stable and enjoyable enough to play, I wouldn't worry about seeing an increase in funding or player numbers.

BubbleKing

Grand Admiral
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
BubbleKing
I agree with most of the others when they say 3.0 will be the determining factor here.

If 3.0 drops sometime in 2017 and it plays well... funding will explode. However, I expect them to do approx 36m again because I assume funding will fall during the rest of the year before/after 3.0.

Goero

Space Marshal
Dec 28, 2016
RSI Handle
Goero101
3.0 will definitely be a make or break for a lot of people. I personally think, between 3.0 and the newer players that just now joined in with 2.6, we will see more donations. Using myself as an example actually, for the longest while I sat on a Mustang Alpha. It was ok, considering my PC had a hard time playing the game, and I didn't have a friend to help push me to really play. When I got my upgrade for my PC, I played and really enjoyed it, so I started looking at the ships I would like to upgrade to, and then when 2.6 came out and Draigon started playing with me, well, within about a week and a half, the two of us went from a Mustang Alpha to a Cutlass Black. Alpha > Delta > 325a > Cutlass Black... Even today, while we were playing around in the PU and ste errr, borrowing other players ships, we discussed the Pro and Cons and price worthiness of our next ship upgrade, or if we should get a new ship and start CCUing our way up and keep our beautifully ugly Cuttys.

Long Story short, I think as more new players dig in, I think the upgrades will keep the Donations rolling on in, and as long as 3.0 brings all that it supposedly offers, I believe CIG and Star Citizen should be juuussstttt fine.

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
I think if they get the 276 pages of issues solved, it will make money again this year.
3.0 holds great promise but at present, the overall performance of 2.6 is not going to please many new comers.
All problems will be solved and over time SC will rise to the very top.

Lythan

Vice Admiral
Oct 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Lythan
I think its not likely that they will raise more or much more then 25 million, but then I'm mostly basing this on my own spending habits. I've reached a roof and now I'm happy to let others pay for the rest. If enough people think like I do this year then there will be a decrease in funding raised I guess

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
I think its not likely that they will raise more or much more then 25 million, but then I'm mostly basing this on my own spending habits. I've reached a roof and now I'm happy to let others pay for the rest. If enough people think like I do this year then there will be a decrease in funding raised I guess
Yeah dude. I've got my starter ships.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Existing backers have had roughly enough of spending money. I know I am waiting for 3.1/3.2 before I spend any more. IF I spend any more.

The question is, will new backers get spending when they see 2.6 and 3.0 coming, I think they will especially 3.0 so overall the funding will go up in 2017 IMHO.

B3aT

Space Marshal
Dec 2, 2016
RSI Handle
B3aT
Definitely will sell more JPG promises after 3.0 is out :D, if it will be in Q1 I think will pass $40M in 2017.

Forgot your password?