Gimp's Surprise, Part 3

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
5th February 2945, 02:22:31 Sol Std Time

ISS Hecate III, Genesis Class Starliner, operating as Intergalactic Airlines Flight IGAIR N-C/B-V/2-945-A, enroute to Stalford Starport, Planet Rytif, Bremen System via Nul-Centauri/Bremen-Vega Jump Points.

“Have you ever travelled in Imperial Court Class Lieutenant Commander?” asked Billirubin Mallone, Senate Special Liaison to the Office of Imperial Naval Intelligence.

Talia Simonova replied “You do know that just because my family weren’t full citizens that doesn’t mean they were proles, we actually lived quite well. Still, almost 10 years in the Navy, even as flightcrew it’s been a long time since I had such a nice cabin, seems like Senatorial staff travel well, I guess I should thank you for it.”

“My apologies, no offense meant.” Mallone’s gaze was temporarily distracted by the plasma haze outside the cabin windows as the Genesis arced into planetfall and descended into the atmosphere of Rytif. “You know it really is beautiful, we’ve been doing this for almost 800 years and this part never ceases to amaze me, the glow, the rumble of the air getting thicker and thicker, 1000 years ago we were riding horses and building huts out of processed trees, now we take for granted that we can travel distances that require scientific notation in a shirtsleeve environment, at faster-than-light speeds.”

“Yes, the technology is impressive, but you understand it has all come from warfare – the planes, the star fighters, the carriers, the destroyers, jump drive, the whole thing.” As Talia gestured to the cabin. “Men like you sleep in gold-plated quarters and trade in favors and information in smoke-filled rooms because people like me and ‘Pablo’ freeze our asses off out in the black – we live and die to keep the peace and commit the violence necessary when the peace breaks down.”

Mallone looked straight at her “You don’t like me very much do you?”

“Sir, like or dislike, it’s a luxury I don’t have time for – frankly I don’t understand why I’ve been assigned to this detail but I was ordered to support you so I am supporting you. It would help to have more intel on why we are here?” Simonova asked, visibly annoyed.

“We are here to speak to a man about some technology. What do you know about Silas Koerner?” asked Mallone flatly.

“Self-made trillionaire, active race pilot/team owner, CEO of Consolidated Outland. I actually have one of their Mustang Beta’s back at Centauri, pretty clever engineering, great little ship.” Talia replied.

Mallone asked “What do you know of his politics and business practices?”

Simonova answered “Well, most of the folks out here are pro-independence, not big fans of the Empire in general but they love to see a Bengal or a Pegasus when the Vanduul show up or there is an outbreak of heavy piracy. Koerner plays by his own rules, because he can afford to. He’s a little reckless for someone of his stature but I don’t believe he’s a shit stirrer, politically speaking. Commercially however, he is a firecracker – popular but unauthorized mods for other companies’ products, and they make some really great light combat ships.”

“You sound like you admire him.” Mallone observed.

“More respect I’d say. He has done well for himself and his employees, and I really like my Beta, as an Engineer I appreciate the design ethos.” Talia replied.

Mallone looked out at the now clear sky of Rytif “Good, because we are meeting him in half an hour.”

Passing through starport security and customs with an Imperial Senate Staffer had its’ privileges Talia thought as they walked through with a simple show of Mallone’s credentials and were met outside the terminal by a Lynx hoverlimo. The trip to CNOU headquarters on the outskirts of Stalford was a brief 5 minute ride at 400 kph. The Lynx pulled up to a clean modern facility with lots of glassteel and the Consolidated logo. Talia watched as a crimson blue Mustang Omega descended to a landing pad behind the factory.

A tall redhead welcomed Simonova and Mallone at the front door “Always a pleasure to have Imperial Senate Staff visit us, welcome to Consolidate Outland, my name is Melania, I am Mr. Koerner's Executive Secretary. Mr. Koerner has ten minutes allocated for this meeting, he just returned from Sharon’s Nebula and so might be a bit ‘excited’ from the adrenaline you know. He typically prefers not to shake hands, please don’t take offense. Mr. Mallone, he has received your latest list of questions and has provided me with an encrypted answer file, I will forward it to your Mobi-Glas. This way please.”

She led them into a large but modestly decorated office overlooking the flightline. “Please take a seat, Mr. Koerner will be along promptly.” as she pulled the doors closed behind her.

“Well this is certainly not what I expected” Talia said as she heard a commotion behind her.

“Not what you expected for what ma’am? Someone of my position?” asked Silas Koerner as he walked in through a side door.

Talia stumbled “I’m sorry sir, just..”

“No worries Ms. Simonova.” Koerner extended his hand, she sheepishly reached out to shake it and was surprised as he pulled her hand up and kissed the top of it. He looked over “Mr. Mallone, wish I could say it is nice to see you again. I assume that Melania provided you the file you requested?”

“Yes sir, the Imperial Senate thanks you for your assistance.” replied Mallone. “We take the subject of experimental technology very seriously.”

Koerner walked over to his desk and sat down “And we take proprietary information and design security very seriously here, as you well know. And the same goes for personnel records. Had you not provided the Search Warrant I would have continued to refuse to provide that information. I fully expect that it shall remain completely confidential and that we can consider this matter closed.” He turned his eyes back to Talia and asked “Ms. Simonova, how do you like your Beta?”

“Well, I like it a lot when I get the chance to take her out but my duty roster keeps me pretty busy.” Talia replied, still in shock that Silas Koerner knew her name, let alone that she had one of his spacecraft.

“A good ship is like a good woman Lieutenant Commander, they should not be ignored. We make our ships to be enjoyed, I hope you will enjoy it. You know we recently released a new radiant cooler design, much more efficient. If you would like a set please feel free to contact Melania and she will arrange to have a set installed at our Centauri Service Center, my treat. We can never do enough for those who serve to protect us. Now if you two will excuse me I have so little to do and so much time.” Koerner said with a smile as he swung his seat around to watch a couple Blue Devil racers pull out to the landing pads.

As they walked out of the office and towards the front door Talia asked Mallone “How the hell did he know my name and that I own a Beta?”

Mallone dryly replied “I may have let him know that you were coming with me. I felt it might help for the two of you to meet and I knew it would help to get me in the door. I hope you don’t mind.”

Talia asked “What is in the file he gave you?” as they entered the waiting Lynx hoverlimo.

“We asked for some personnel info and information related to the projects a certain former employee was involved in. I can’t tell you the language he used in his initial reply to us, but an Imperial Search Warrant can go a long way.” Mallone fiddled with his Mobi-Glas for a moment and Talia felt the ‘message arrived’ vibration on her own Mobi-Glas.

As the Lynx sped towards the high skyline of Stalford Mallone looked over “We’re staying at the Messer-Empress Suites in Stalford tonight and have tickets to the Murray Cup practice at Sharon’s Nebula tomorrow. You have some reading to do.”

She glanced down at the waiting message and saw it was from Mallone with two attachments ‘Pyotr Knollzinski/J'onnz' and ‘Mjolnyr’. She thought she recognized the name in the first file but couldn’t quite place it so she punched up the Ark database and while she was waiting for the results she realized why it was familiar. Pyotr Knollzinski had been a visiting Engineering lecturer from RSI when she was at the Naval Academy, she recalled his classes being an interesting combination of real world practicality with a touch of humor. What she saw pop up on her Mobi-Glas search shocked her so much she gasped.

Knollzinski’s wife and daughter had been killed in a pirate raid on a Starliner nearly three years go near Terra. After a UEE review it was determined it had been the Purple Talon Clan. Reviewing the personnel file in Mallone’s message she saw that Knollzinski was Director of Special Projects at Consolidated Outland at the time of the attack but he had resigned his position at Consolidated and had largely withdrawn from public life.

She next opened up the file titled ‘Mjolnyr’. CNOU and RSI had apparently been working on a technology development based on the Mustang Delta’s Mass Reduction Armor known originally as Cavalry Class. The joint project was formed to design and produce a modular armor system that combined both ablative and reactive technologies to provide an increase in thermal, ballistic and splash protection that could be ‘bolted’ on. Initial test results were exceptional but manufacturing costs were high, the two companies reportedly had abandoned the joint venture.

Suddenly, pieces were coming together for Talia for the first time since the event at Nul V.

Please note that this is a work of fan fiction, set in the Star Citizen universe. The marks and properties, 'Star Citizen', 'Squadron 42', 'Cloud Imperium Games', and 'Roberts Space Industries' are property of Cloud Imperium Games Corp. and Roberts Space Industries Corp ("RSI"). All rights in content, including places, characters, concepts, and ships produced and created by RSI relating to said marks and properties belong to RSI.

Reactions: GeneticPredator
Forgot your password?