Gladius speed change vote. ( help try make CIG increase the speed )

Horizonz

Space Marshal
Jan 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Horizonz
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/238074/the-gladius-maximum-speed-worry/p1

So recently I have had numerous sources telling me that the Gladius (the, Light fighter / interceptor) has a max speed of 220m/s and now that is confirmed.
Which is not only a worry to me personally but also it seems to be a big worry with most of the community from what i have been seeing on the forms and in chat.
As the gladius is a light fighter / interceptor I think it should have a speed of at least 230 - 240, or how else is it going to catch up / intercept its targets because we already have ships with a speed of 220 and above and there is bound to be more ships with higher speeds in the PU. Never to mention the gladius needs something at least to make up for its lack of fire power and armour.

So what I'm going to do here is put out a Poll to up the speed, And "hopefully" CIG will take changing the speed of the ship to a higher value into consideration.

please go to the link and help vote "yes" with the rest of TEST :) https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/238074/the-gladius-maximum-speed-worry/p1

Woodie

Lieutenant
Mar 5, 2015
RSI Handle
CRUlSER
Wouldn't raising it take the Gladius into racer territory. From the videos I've seen it appears to have fantastic agility, large missiles & decent weapons. Any more n it will probably become a hornet killer

Eiyron

Space Marshal
Jan 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Eiyron
Thanks for the Link =3 I voted NO... NO!!!.... NO!!!!!!!

Nothing else should have the potential to come close to the 350R >=)

Shive

Speed Devil
Staff member
Officer
Mar 9, 2014
RSI Handle
GOD_Shive
I just feel that if the gladius were to fly faster, then I'd also like the rest of the 300 series to fly faster - more than the gladius, the whole series were advertised for speed, but, as I say this, they'll be some people wanting the same for the avenger - probably, but it's really an old vehicle, so maybe it's good where it as ;) A good slightly above faster than most kinda deal. I'm sure speeds will be something revisited later, we just have some rough estimates atm.

Even if they upgrade some of the speeds, I still expect the xian scout and the herald to place themselves at speeds from 220-290. 290m/s on the Herald wouldn't surprise me, as it'll turn like a brick, the xian probably will have a speed close to that of the gladius whatever that might end up becoming.

K1NG

Captain
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
K1NG_Brit
Remember that the 300 series are technically civilian ships from the modern era. The gladius is an outdated military ship from the Merser era. So technically the 300 should be slightly better technologically.

Don't forget that in the PU you'l be able to put better engines etc in it so you can still compete. Stock only counts here in early AC

Reactions: Shive

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
230-240 would be plenty. Knock down the hornet to 180-190, but give it a whole bunch of armor. Keep the 300I at 220. Drop down 350R to 280, M50 to 260. I think they should remove the size 5 engine for the avenger, it's just out of place. That ship should be performing better than the M50 but not better than the 350R with a size 5. The ship would still be good with a size 3 like everything else, if you made it upgradeable to a size 4 all the better.

Shive

Speed Devil
Staff member
Officer
Mar 9, 2014
RSI Handle
GOD_Shive
Remember that the 300 series are technically civilian ships from the modern era. The gladius is an outdated military ship from the Merser era. So technically the 300 should be slightly better technologically.

Don't forget that in the PU you'l be able to put better engines etc in it so you can still compete. Stock only counts here in early AC
Ohh you can get better engines on it? :O The we only need the cutlass with a lil +30 m/s or so :)

Shive

Speed Devil
Staff member
Officer
Mar 9, 2014
RSI Handle
GOD_Shive
230-240 would be plenty. Knock down the hornet to 180-190, but give it a whole bunch of armor. Keep the 300I at 220. Drop down 350R to 280, M50 to 260. I think they should remove the size 5 engine for the avenger, it's just out of place. That ship should be performing better than the M50 but not better than the 350R with a size 5. The ship would still be good with a size 3 like everything else, if you made it upgradeable to a size 4 all the better.
Heresy! All speeds should be increased by 50-100% How dare you ask for stuff to be slower! Torches and pitchforks and other stuff!! Burn the heretics!!! *RIOT*

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I'm just a little sad over how the Avenger has changed. I originally envisioned it as a big, fast, but un-agile boom n' zoom fighter, especially with the massive gun on the front. Instead, it's fairly nimble, not overly fast, and rather underwhelmingly armed at the moment.

Reactions: AntiSqueaker

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I think the problem lies in the Hornet.

It's simply too fast, and makes there be a not large enough gap between ships for the armor and weaponry the Hornet possess.

I think if the Hornet got knocked down to Cutlass levels (180 m/s) then we could have a lot more room to play with speeds.

Right now theres a HUUUUGE gap between the 300i/Gladius and the M50.

I'm just a little sad over how the Avenger has changed. I originally envisioned it as a big, fast, but un-agile boom n' zoom fighter, especially with the massive gun on the front. Instead, it's fairly nimble, not overly fast, and rather underwhelmingly armed at the moment.

Yeah, to me Avenger flies like a 300i reskin. I was expecting it to be sliding all over the place, but be able to chase down almost anything short of a racer. 250 m/s or something like that, but god help you if you're trying to duke it out in an asteroid field.

eaglemmoomin

Space Marshal
Nov 28, 2014
RSI Handle
eaglemmoomin
I think the problem lies in the Hornet.

It's simply too fast, and makes there be a not large enough gap between ships for the armor and weaponry the Hornet possess.

I think if the Hornet got knocked down to Cutlass levels (180 m/s) then we could have a lot more room to play with speeds.

Right now theres a HUUUUGE gap between the 300i/Gladius and the M50.

Yeah, to me Avenger flies like a 300i reskin. I was expecting it to be sliding all over the place, but be able to chase down almost anything short of a racer. 250 m/s or something like that, but god help you if you're trying to duke it out in an asteroid field.
Don't really agree the Gladius, Avenger and Hornet are effectively military ships so you'd expect them to be decent or 'better' than civilian ships. I remember the fiction being that Avengers were militia/training/police ships and are being phased out in favour of the Hornet which in turn is being replaced with the F8. I'm sure in the PU getting a Gladius, Avenger or Hornet will actually cost quite a bit by the time you've put all the 'correct' weapons, engines, shields and electronics back on them. Whereas before PU we see them with 'the bits' reattached.

Kind of like the F16, F18, being replaced with the F35 and the F15 being replaced by the F22. It's not like the F16, F18 and F15 have been designed with deliberate flaws they're pretty special in their own right and will 'beat' (I know it's a sucky analogy but it's the best I've got) most 3rd and 4th generation jets. And if they get sold as Warbirds they'd have pretty much everything yanked out of them.

Forgot your password?