Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
neat
:p

see, i love the idea, but it's just not feasible
both for me personally (cures you, terrible internet) but also in a more general sense. You'd almost have to design the games specifically around it.
On the other hand, playing online games is a thing, (y'know, like, say, Star Citizen) and this is just the next step up.
well, maybe they skipped a couple steps, but regardless.

Reactions: Scape

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Google announced their game streaming service today. Looks like the shadow play tech we have seen only months ago.

PC Gamer - Google Stadia

I got in on their streaming Assassin's Creed Odyssey or whatever the game was. It worked well, but then again, it was really only console level graphics. It will be interestesting to see how this compares to Shadow.tech. I'm assuming Google will have wider availability.

Ok, just found this from https://www.pcgamer.com/google-stadias-specs-and-latency-revealed/:
The experience will be powered by the following specs:

• Custom x86 processor clocked at 2.7GHz w/ AVX2 SIMD and 9.5MB of L2+L3 cache
  • Custom AMD GPU w/ HBM2 memory, 56 compute units, and 10.7TFLOPs
  • 16GB of RAM (shared between CPU and GPU), up to 484GB/s of bandwidth
  • SSD cloud storage
So...sounds pretty vague. The "'16GB RAM shared between CPU and GPU" sounds like a step down from Shadow.tech.

Last edited:

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
I got in on their streaming Assassin's Creed Odyssey or whatever the game was. It worked well, but then again, it was really only console level graphics. It will be interestesting to see how this compares to Shadow.tech. I'm assuming Google will have wider availability.

Ok, just found this from https://www.pcgamer.com/google-stadias-specs-and-latency-revealed/:

So...sounds pretty vague. The "'16GB RAM shared between CPU and GPU" sounds like a step down from Shadow.tech.
Yeah, when you start talking custom GPUs and shared memory that does not give me a warm and fuzzy. That actually sounds more like an iGPU that a discrete one. I know that AMD is doing pretty well in that department but all in all this sounds like a beefed-up console.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
Having used many game streaming services from PS, Steam, Shadow and the like, I am not holding out too much hope for this being a replacement for gaming. Given the internet infrastructure in the US being terrible along with sub par ISP service, I can see a lot of lag and input issues. Google has the servers to possibly compensate, but I still see no reason to jump into this yet despite how cool it is.

Agrath

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 27, 2015
RSI Handle
bentst
If its like shadow.tech with a desktop, I will consider it.
If its like geforce now I will have to skip it, because I cant install star citizen on that one. I am currently playing division 2 on shadow.tech from Paris and its playable for me, when it releases for the nordic countries I guess it will be even better.

GarikDuvall

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 3, 2018
RSI Handle
Garik_Duvall
Since they have the resources of all of googles data centers, I feel like they will do the best job at implementing the service and get best results as far as bandwidth etc. Now whether the graphics can match shadow, remains to be seen. If they do somehow manage that... then I can see them leading the game-streaming industry.

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
Since they have the resources of all of googles data centers, I feel like they will do the best job at implementing the service and get best results as far as bandwidth etc. Now whether the graphics can match shadow, remains to be seen. If they do somehow manage that... then I can see them leading the game-streaming industry.
Especially with the imminent arrival of 5G, some phone companies in the UK are going to be offering unlimited Data whilst using streaming services like netflix etc...gaming on the move doesnt bother me especially but i know alot of people want it

GarikDuvall

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 3, 2018
RSI Handle
Garik_Duvall
Lot of modern phones can utilize a USB-C to HDMI cable as well... so you could use your phone and its internet connection and essentially play it on a full size TV.

Reactions: Agrath

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Ok, just saw this in a news article...this is pretty much the "white trojan horse in the room" if I can mix metaphors:
Stadia will also be fully integrated with YouTube, where gaming content is among the most popular on the site, watched by hundreds of millions of people every day. Google demonstrated a button that will let users watching video game footage on YouTube instantly click to play the game themselves. Stadia will also allow for easy capturing and sharing of game clips.
So, Google can sell you the Stadia service, integrate it with their YouTube streamers and drive up their advertising revenues, and then take a cut of the revenue for selling you a game...pretty neat business model!

Reactions: Scape and August

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Having used many game streaming services from PS, Steam, Shadow and the like, I am not holding out too much hope for this being a replacement for gaming. Given the internet infrastructure in the US being terrible along with sub par ISP service, I can see a lot of lag and input issues. Google has the servers to possibly compensate, but I still see no reason to jump into this yet despite how cool it is.
regarding "the internet infrastructure in the US being terrible along with sub par ISP service" check this out:

Reactions: Bambooza

Joehockey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Apr 8, 2017
RSI Handle
Joehockey
I don't know that I would ever really use it for gaming. But for like a demo style situation it would be sick. Imagine watching a youtube video about a game that just released but you're on the fence about (The Division for instance), then in the description of the video there is a Google Link to play the game for a set amount of time (2-3 hours for $5). For $5 to instantly start playing the game or a demo version of the game you can decide if you actually want to buy the game. If you want to keep it, you can pay the extra $55 and "buy" it on Google Stadia or you can buy it for full price elsewhere.

Could be a good way to expand your library or game interests without as much risk.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
As far as I remember Sony was first, followed by Nvidia. I've been testing GeForce NOW on a PC and Mac for over a year now and while it's not perfect yet, it works great. I completed Ghost Recon Wildlands on it, my wife almost completed The Witcher III. Right now she's playing The Division 2 on it, on ultra settings @ 1080p, having a stable 60fps all the time (with v-sync on), no lags nor any other problems.

That said, cloud gaming services require very fast Internet connection. We used to have 120Mbps and in some cases it was not enough to play on GeForce NOW and download anything on another PC at the same time, using the same network, even when the download transfer was limited to the half of the maximum speed; the stream resolution was temporarily decreased, adapting to the weaker signal. Once I upgraded the connection to 300Mbps we no longer have any problems. The problem is that not all people in the World have broadband Internet access. That's why it is too early for the cloud gaming services to replace real gaming rigs, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I am curious how popular these cloud computers will be once most people realize they have a data cap with their internet.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
I am curious how popular these cloud computers will be once most people realize they have a data cap with their internet.
Don't forget that not all of the potential cloud gaming customers are located in US. In Europe, for example, broadband is much cheaper and faster than in US, and we no longer have any data caps; even GSM providers offer relatively cheap unlimited data plans.

Reactions: Thugari
Forgot your password?