Got my PTU invitation, don't know what to expect.

TypeO

Space Marshal
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Privateer
Hey guys,

I haven't been able to follow the Star Citizen development closely for the last few months. I just received an invitation for 2.0 PTU: Crusader Playtest and I have no idea what that means and the email doesn't help to clear my confusion. Is there anyone who already tried it able to bring me up to speed or point me in the direction of some TL;DR source?

Rainshine

Captain
Donor
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
RainingLight
You can join the Alpha 2.0 playtest on the PTU. Head to the RSI website, log in, and go to your account overview. On the bottom is "Public Test Universe", go there and copy your account over.

Next, fire up the patcher and when you log in, you should have another tab that says "PTU". You can download the public test version which has Alpha 2.0 that they're testing. This patch is a "mini PTU" release with missions, the FPS station, and Retaliator and Constellation flyable.

Lucky dog.

TypeO

Space Marshal
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Privateer
mmh. ok, thx. Don't really see the appeal of flying my Conny around alone, but I will take a look into it. Not sure why they let me in tbh. I am not really engaged in alpha testing, I bet there are others who would be much better suited for this. Well, let's see. Maybe it will hook me and I start a second career as a games tester. ^^

vindslav

Vice Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
vindslav
Slightly off topic, apologies, but I knew a guy who used the monikor Type_0 on a minecraft server who moved to Germany for study, you wouldn't happened to be the same person?

TypeO

Space Marshal
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Privateer
Slightly off topic, apologies, but I knew a guy who used the monikor Type_0 on a minecraft server who moved to Germany for study, you wouldn't happened to be the same person?
Unfortunately not. I use this nick for almost 15 years now, but always without underscore. I cross my fingers you will find your Type_O.

War Pig

Space Marshal
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
ShinzoAnnigans
mmh. ok, thx. Don't really see the appeal of flying my Conny around alone, but I will take a look into it. Not sure why they let me in tbh. I am not really engaged in alpha testing, I bet there are others who would be much better suited for this. Well, let's see. Maybe it will hook me and I start a second career as a games tester. ^^
CIG is now sending out invitations based on CitID's. This is just the final big push before 2.0 goes public. They're stuffing the servers to stress test them even further.

Reactions: TypeO

TypeO

Space Marshal
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Privateer
CIG is now sending out invitations based on CitID's. This is just the final big push before 2.0 goes public. They're stuffing the servers to stress test them even further.
Oh ok. That's good to hear. Then I don't feel bad that I don't really test things. I will load it up and help stress test just by being there. :D

Reactions: War Pig

War Pig

Space Marshal
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
ShinzoAnnigans
Don't expect anything stable quite yet. By "final push" I mean it won't go live for a few more days at least pending the results of this 3rd wave of invites. By all the streams out there, server stability is still an issue but with every crash they gather even more data.

War Pig

Space Marshal
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
ShinzoAnnigans
Go in there, get your ship, and try to break something. Your sacrifice is doing us mere mortals a great service in the end.

Reactions: TypeO

Croswell

Space Marshal
Mar 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Croswell
I got the invite too. Yay for early backers getting the love! Didn't have time to touch it this weekend, but it is all downloaded and ready to go as soon as I get a little time to hop on.

Reactions: War Pig

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
Sooooo.....o, wait a min.......ute! You mean to te...............ll me that they are goi..........ng to publish this wi..........th all the fr...............eezing? That's kind of *crash to desktop*

Reactions: TypeO and War Pig

War Pig

Space Marshal
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
ShinzoAnnigans
Sooooo.....o, wait a min.......ute! You mean to te...............ll me that they are goi..........ng to publish this wi..........th all the fr...............eezing? That's kind of *crash to desktop*
Hahaha! That seems to be the general experience. I don't expect it to go live this week but one can dream for the the nightmare that is early adoption.

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
funny, they invite people who don't play and haven't logged on, in awhile, mind that there are people who play everyday for a few hours and never got an invite.

War Pig

Space Marshal
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
ShinzoAnnigans
funny, they invite people who don't play and haven't logged on, in awhile, mind that there are people who play everyday for a few hours and never got an invite.
Actually, the initial invites were towards active bug reporters and Issue Council submitters. A lot of them were not early backers but rather players who contributed more proactively to the game. Now they are pulling in the rest of us based on CitID so early backers are getting their invites now. So the moral of the story is play often and report all bugs as much as you can. That raises your stature in the community and you get early invites.

TypeO

Space Marshal
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Privateer
Well, I downloaded the 30GB PTU files and it crashes always a minute after the loading screen appears. Unfortunately it directly crashes to desktop without any message. Will try again later.

Elac

Commander
Aug 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Elac
Well, I downloaded the 30GB PTU files and it crashes always a minute after the loading screen appears. Unfortunately it directly crashes to desktop without any message. Will try again later.
GIM is kill, they're working on it

Forgot your password?