H1Z1 - Anyone?

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Just picked up the early access for H1Z1... probably will not be able to play it till I get back state side in a few weeks. Anyone else taking the adventure to zombie land? Watching Geekdomo got me into this game and pretty excited to play it despite the uproar on Reddit of the p2w fear of the first couple of hours since the early release came out....

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
Just watched the vid, looks interesting, how does it compare to DayZ in your opinion?

lex

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
rlex
Got it at release time. Waited in login queue for like 3hrs. Eff this, i went to sleep.
Before departing to work got a chance to play for ~30mins. Seems nice, like a good fusion of Rust & DayZ.
I loved planetside2 after all.
There is some controversy about premium air drops, but they seems to be well-balanced.

Reactions: Dalarast

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
Sounds interesting, I've been watching some Rust videos and played a little DayZ (pre standalone). I like the Genre, I may try this over Rust. If I do I'll give you a shout here for some multiplay.

edit: I am UK so may not be online at the same time but it's something I'd play at the weekend in to the early hours.

lex

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
rlex
btw, i _might_ be able to get you h1z1 for as low as ~7$ due to local price (419 RUR) and game doesn't seem to be region-locked as well. If anyone wanna risk (there is still chance that game will not activate in your region) - ping me here or in steam. I have verified PP account and done some trading in /r/starcitizen_trades, so i will not run away with your money :D

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
Thanks lex, I'll have a think about it, $7 would certainly make it more worth it and I'll come to you if I decide to get on board.
Just having a look at the Reddit pages, there seems to be a lot of rage over the pay 2 win aspect of the airdrops. The devs promising not to sell (4realz $) survival items and weapons, then selling survival items and weapons via paid for air drops. Is this really an issue in game? It doesn't put me off, I just take it as a challenge to play through without spending money.

edit: added the challenge bit.

Last edited:

lex

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
rlex
This is all a question about how they do it.
Ever played Breaking Point, Arma3 mod?
Crashing chopper is loud, and smoke is high, so it can be observed from very far distance. There is also insane amount of zombies near crashed chopper...
Surely you can call "premium" airdrop, but there is some moments:
1) Airdrop is slow. Everyone will be aware long before plane drops supplies
2) Green smoke is very distinctive and also viewed from far away.
3) There is no guarantee that drop will contain survival items / weapons. Chances are still pretty low.
4) Server should be populated (50ppl now, 100 in next patch(?))

I do not see how with that limitations game becomes "pay2win". I rather see this premium airdrops as way to keep server alive (ever played dayz? Like 80% of users are campers)

The main problem is because they said "no, we will not drop survival items in airdrop" and now they done it. Seems to be pretty balanced, anyway.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Just having a look at the Reddit pages, there seems to be a lot of rage over the pay 2 win aspect of the airdrops. The devs promising not to sell (4realz $) survival items and weapons, then selling survival items and weapons via paid for air drops. Is this really an issue in game? It doesn't put me off, I just take it as a challenge to play through without spending money.
I agree; but also look as it as a challenge. You can call all the airdrops in the world in; but it does not guarantee one you will get it and two if you can keep it. Since I can sit out in the field waiting for someone to get a package I can kill them soon as its done. Kinda like in the trailer with the two guys working together... he eventually turns on him.

My download is almost done and I will see if I can get on the server... I'm still in Africa so this will test the "region" lock ;)

Lex - 100% same mind frame here. My reply to the cries on reddit was to the question of.. they had no problem waiting for future development on character mods, zombie AI, etc, etc... why is the crate being released such a big issue on LAUNCH day. Also the complaints about the servers... on launch day of a pre-release.... Guess being backers of SC we have the "waiting" thing down.

Reactions: lex and o-BHG-o

lex

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
rlex
I only wish they will also focus on PvE side. The only multiplayer survival game with proper PvE i saw was "Nether" (game was awful btw, but PvE was done right) - there is loads of different mutants, and even couple of really tought ones (one of them is actually needs a party to take down, but rewards is awesome). In current state of DayZ, zombies are just a minor nuisance (unless you doesn't have any melee, of course, but this just takes 5-10 mins to find), and, regardless of what devs says, DayZ is pure PvP atm.

lex

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
rlex
Sad news: steam fixed regionlock on H1Z1 in RUR, so no 7$ games anymore :(
Notice: Gift purchases for H1Z1 can only be added to the gift recipient's library if they are in Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Republic of Moldova, Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
I've played a bit of DayZ with friends. Great game, but hackers are a huge problem, and the devs haven't done anything about it. I hope that sony is a bit more active in terms of updates, especially when you consider PS2 hasn't had a major update in months. Then there's the P2W problem, which I don't think is really going to be an issue. If you want to pay for guns, fine. That air drop gives me a location to snipe you at and take your new loot.

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
I've played a bit of DayZ with friends. Great game, but hackers are a huge problem, and the devs haven't done anything about it. I hope that sony is a bit more active in terms of updates, especially when you consider PS2 hasn't had a major update in months. Then there's the P2W problem, which I don't think is really going to be an issue. If you want to pay for guns, fine. That air drop gives me a location to snipe you at and take your new loot.
Yea saw that on 5hizzle's twitch stream today. Someone ordered an airdrop, he went there and killed everyone.

Reactions: o-BHG-o

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Okay... so since my last post I was able to get into the game.

Here is first impression (remember I am not a gamer and have not played any other zombie games):

Ummm... what do I do. Ha. I was listening to GeekDomo's stream and asking questions on what to do so I figured out how to get around and pick up berries and crafted a bow and some arrows once I found cloth. The game seems looted through already.. I don't know if they are going to keep populating items or first come first serve. A lot of kill on site happening; but they do have different servers with different rules.

Care packages... I went ahead and found a LARGE open field and called in a care package. Thing takes forever and you know its coming from the noise and finally the plane. It took (what felt like) 10 minutes for that thing to actually parachute down... ontop of the package standing on shoulder to shoulder were 5 zombies who just stood still as I opened the crate. (note zombie and animal AI is off.. nothing happening right now with them.. I beat a deer with my hands... awesome).
In the crate.. hunting rifle, ammo for rifle, and a backpack.... two other guys came up and ran off... I ran off and watched people come to the crate through my sniper rifle...didn't shoot anyone cause 1) I didn't know how to shoot and 2) I was being nice.... 5 minutes later I was shot in the back with an arrow as I was picking berries...

Overall... its not bad and if I judged a game from my first impression I wouldn't be backing star citizen. So... yes. This game is worth my time investment...

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
I'll be playing for sure man. Just need a while to get up and running. In the middle of breaking down 20 odd Gaming/Workstations for the big move. I have a few friends at SOE that have been hyping the hell out of this but I have not even had a chance to check on it. Thanks for the quick synopsis too sir, much appreciated. Saves me some valuable time researching and watching some twitch and such. Oh add me on steam too. Actually, everyone of you TESTbros add me on steam: ZeroKoolGuy

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
I bought the Premium Edition, tried about 30 times to get in so I could stream it on Twitch, then gave up and switched over to Euro Truck Simulator 2 before going live, which ended up being hilarious.

It was pretty amusing seeing probably 500+ streamers, including many big time channels, spending hour after hour repeatedly trying to log in and getting nowhere. One chick even dressed up like a zombie and was bummed out she couldn't get in. I didn't want to be that guy, so I just played something else and we had a good time.

Hopefully tonight will be better and I can get eaten by zombies. :D

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
Also, after months and months of SOE saying there will not be any "pay to win" in H1Z1, it's been confirmed that air drop crates in the Premium Edition contain weapons and ammo and not just cosmetic items like they said, effectively making the game pay to win. Ooops.

Good job, SOE.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I'd be interested in trying it once its actually out. Maybe a group of us get together and build a super base, rather than KOS?

Forgot your password?