vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
HF logo 600.png

Hey all,

This thread is made to support our regular hardflying weekly event "Hardflight - Crash'A'Lot" in Star Citizen.
(You have the HF logo attached to this post if need).

NEXT EVENT :

Check our TEST Discord Events calendar (at the very top of the TEST Discord left menu) and Guilded calendar.

Every Saturday and Sunday at 21:00 UTC+1 before CFT/TSMC events.
Time slot can change in a year : 21:00 UTC for winter time, 21:00 UTC+1 for summer time.

Hard-flying practice, 1 hour run. If you like flying low and fast, come and practice hardflight and aerobatics. You are going to kiss the ground and crash a lot !

What is hardflight?

Everyone has its own definition of hardflying, but what I try to achieve here with Crash'A'Lot is training flying decoupled very close to the ground (under 20m), at medium/high speed depending on atmosphere (200-700 m/s or more), and keep that distance to the ground while doing aerobatic maneuvers, according to the landscape (plains, canyons, mountains, forests...) and the environment (day/night/fog/storm...), and in formations around 50-100 meters from each others ;)

Better illustrated like seen here thx to my fav sensei :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2eLLvHDVq8

We used to have a HF "section" with Boba/Skyborn in late 2020, but it died after Skyborn and I went to fly together with Terada and his frenchies. Crash'a'Lot is a revamp of those HF sessions, since Sky went to make his own team and twitch, and I was left alone doing HF with all other guys stopping to participate aswell. Thanks to you all, this event has been happening weekly since spring 2021🤞

So check up on Discord #star-citizen-events and Guilded calendar for the next Hardflight - Crash'A'Lot session !

One session will be scheduled when possible 1 hour before each of the weekly running CFT/TSMC/Dogfighting events (on weekends).

👉 Getting prepared
👉 Training programs
👉 Media and hardflight ressources & videos

Attachments

Last edited:

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Getting prepared (updated with 3.17.4)

Here you will find some basic informations to get prepared for each hardflying training session. Then you can read a short explanation of coupled/decoupled also illustrated with a video tutorial.

As for configuration, there is no "better" config. HOSAS (dual sticks), HOTAS (stick and throttle), controller, mouse&kb, everything is working for hardflight. I've seen some pilot with mouse and keyboard or controller doing stuff as impressive if not better than others with hosas. Hardflying is a good way to practice and train with your actual setup.

Things to do before a Crash'A'Lot hardflying session.

Not much things to do as you will see ;)

Proximity Assist

The first thing to do for everyone doing hardflight is to turn off "Flight - Proximity Assist Defaults On", under game menu > Options > Game Settings, and set it to NO.
Proximity Assist when turned on automatically uses your thrusters to push you up when you are close to the ground. If you leave it on even when decoupled, your vector pip (Velocity indicator) will be constantly bouncing when flying close to the ground. Keep that in mind when landing also, when Proximity Assist is turned off landing is slightly less smoothed if you do it too fast :)
Sometime Proximity Assist setting will reset on its own after game launch. You'll need to check that.

Hardflight01.jpg

G-Safe

Then you can also disable G-Safe, in same option screen as above for Proximity Assist, and set the option "Flight - GSafe - Defaults ON" to NO. We do not need the ship to be limited here, but your body might be at test because of that. If you experience G-LOC or Redout, just do a roll to stabilize your body blood flow.

Still same option screen, you can also set "Flight - GSafe - Disable When Boosting" to YES.

Field of View

Then if you want to have a wider view of your cockpit and surroundings you can set the Field of View to 100, under game menu > Options > GRAPHICS.

Hardflight02.jpg

You can also tweak the XML config files to go beyond the FOV you can achieve with ingame settings. Follow the instructions in this video :

View: https://youtu.be/3z-K5bkjee0

Look Ahead

If you have head tracking (TrackIR or similar like Tobii eye tracker), you will enjoy hardflying the most like that. You will easily be able to look at where your vector pip is (Velocity indicator).

If you do not have head tracking, you can simulate it using the ingame Look Ahead, your field of vision will try to follow where your vector pip is. Pretty usefull for exemple when drifting.
You will find Pilot - Look Ahead under game menu > Options > Game Settings, enable it and modify all the Pilot - Look Ahead values according to what you see in the screenshot under.
Look Ahead is a feature that was added by CIG, and announced by Chris Roberts himself as being inspired in particular by Teradas' videos before 3.8 showcasing the intensive use of head tracking.
You can see Look Ahead in action in the videos from Furaxe posted here and there in this thread, he is not using TrackIR (at least for his older videos) unlike Terada and Skyborn, but he is using Look Ahead, with those settings :

Hardflight03.jpg

Pilot- Velocity indicator

Since 3.15 you can again set the visibility Velocity indicator ("vector pip"), under game menu > Options > Game Settings. For hardflight it is very usefull to set it to "Always on". By default it is set to "Fading".

1634939167515.png

Hardflight - flight model

First thing to make clear, StarCitizen flight model is not real life flight model. Nothing to do, and no need to compare, period :)

In SC, if you have no thrust (eg when no fuel) and are in free fall with your ship, you simply can't glide and controll it anymore unlike using the features of a real life plane (ailerons, tail, spoilers, flaps...). The ship will fall like a brick.
StarCitizen ships are not subject to the same aerodynamic forces as a real plane with its wing. they are instead relying only on their thrusters (main propulsion, maneuvering and retro thrusters). Basically a ship in SC is a rocket with directionnal thrusters.

This said, when a plane is using 3 axis to fly (pitch, yaw, roll) in addition to propulsion, a spaceship in SC is using 6 axes (pitch, yaw, roll, forward/backward thrust, left/right thrust, up/down thrust).

Now, how to hardflight? In SC pilots doing hardflight are flying decoupled only.

By default (and most of the time), people fly using coupled mode. This mode tries to simulate a real flight model. This means they are flying their ship, using pitch/yaw/roll and pointing the nose of the ship to set the direction they want to go. They can in addition controll their speed, which is basically strafing (forward/backward, left/right, up/down).
In coupled mode, the ship computer will automaticly use thrusters when needed to maintain your orientation and vector, versus gravity/inertia/air friction and so on. You just need here to manage the direction of the ship in addition to its propulsion (main and/or the maneuvering/retro thrusters).

Some exemples :
- stop thrusting and stay in coupled mode, you ship will maintain vector and will slow down until it halts. No free fall to the ground, everything is controlled by the ship computers to maintain its position.
- go into cruise mode, aim for the horizon, your ship will maintain altitude, vector and so on in addition to speed.

As soon as you use decoupled mode, you are in controll of everything, absolutly everything. This means you will need to manage everything.

You will need to adjust yourself all your thrusters (forward/backward, left/right, up/down) to controll your vector and maintain your direction in addition to pitch/yaw/roll for your orientation. Thrusting to any direction will maintain that inertia momentum, forever in space, and also in atmosphere but it will gradually slow down in atmo because of gravity and air resistance. In atmosphere, your vector will not be maintained thanks to automatic thruster management, but only thanks to manual thrusting and inertia management, and you will need to compensate for gravity, inertia, air friction and so on, or you will free fall like a brick.

Decoupled mode has a huge advantage over coupled in that the orientation of the nose of your ship does not necessarily reflects the direction you are going. Best exemple is in space, you can drift forever, not touching your controls after setting an orientation and a thrusting vector, basically not aiming at the direction you are going. You can not do that with coupled mode, you would need to maintain thrust and orientation in order to be drifting forever. In short, with decoupled your vector pip is not necessarily pointing the same direction as your ship's orientation and inertia is maintained.
In atmosphere this will allow you to do daredevil maneuvers, with total controll of your vector and orientation and play with your own ship inertia a lot.

I'm not going to describe typing how to hardflight in detail, over than this explanation of decoupled vs coupled, you will find a lot of video ressources on the web for hardflying.
I will just link one video tutorial I like a lot, made by Terada, one of the earliest pilot to have popularized hardflight. The video is in french but subtitled in english, and well detailed (even if done some time ago, it is still valid).
Make sure you switch subtitles on (you can kill the sound if needed^^).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSTtKqq-4UE

Last edited:

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Training programs

March 2022 : The Sunday slot for Hardflight is now dedicated to "Hardflight - Academy".
It is more oriented on teaching the basics of Hardflying than the regular Saturday session, where we just enjoy flying.

We hope to produce some videos out of those events to showcase small tutorials. I'm counting on @Bonsai to kick-start those ;)
Bonsai is one of the instructor for the Academy.

Goal is to find here videos showing the flight move that we will try to reproduce in our training session.
You will also find the archives of previous hardflying exercices done so you can try and learn by yourself.

Training videos

Roll, barrel roll, canopy roll by Marcsand.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsvVM3HoQf0

Replays

Twitch replay of the Hard Flight "Communities" event of the 3rd of October 2021 :love: Thank you Terada. Lasted about 3 hours, ended with stealing an idris and hardflying it ;) (though Terada stopped streaming before, but @Bonsai got us some footage for a future video!). Thanks all for coming !

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1166469405

Last edited:

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Media and hardflight ressources & videos

Here you will find cool videos showcasing hardflight and nice moves, from which you can learn watching how pilots fly.
Most interesting parts are when you see from inside the cockpit how is the vector pip set and the ship orientation in comparison, useful to understand what they do and try to reproduce it.
Those hardflying videos are not shown in any particular order, so they are all interesting to watch.
If you know of or make nice hardflight videos, feel free to PM me the links and I will add them here !

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqP_YsBj-Qk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPkEtpa4I7A

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIsCG8UyF-Y

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgTBbEYIpFg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg35unhyXws

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
New very interesting vids added from SteelLegacy, nice stuff!

I'd like to organise something soon(TM) with the frenchies and the guys from the Neutral Grounds so we can fly and learn together. More info TBD.
I'd

• Glorious
Reactions: Mich Angel

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
New very interesting vids added from SteelLegacy, nice stuff!

I'd like to organise something soon(TM) with the frenchies and the guys from the Neutral Grounds so we can fly and learn together. More info TBD.
I'd like to see a Hard Flight Heavy Edition where people are jammin' along in their biggest ships.

HF in a sporty ship or nimble fighter is easy, but I'd like to see it in something the size of an office block.

I did try in my Starfarer once... It ended a bit rolly and denty but was fun...

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
I'd like to see a Hard Flight Heavy Edition where people are jammin' along in their biggest ships.

HF in a sporty ship or nimble fighter is easy, but I'd like to see it in something the size of an office block.

I did try in my Starfarer once... It ended a bit rolly and denty but was fun...
Check the second to last vid ;) (20'' and 1'25'') he is doing it in reclaimer and carrack. Some fatties in the other vids also.
But yes we need more HF with fatties, that makes louder booms !

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Check the second to last vid ;) (20'' and 1'25'') he is doing it in reclaimer and carrack. Some fatties in the other vids also.
But yes we need more HF with fatties, that makes louder booms !
Many-sided thanks, blaming Google again for that, youtube seems to be doing its hardest not to function with my browser of choice.

• Glorious
Reactions: Mich Angel
Forgot your password?