High RAM Usage

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I seem to have a problem with a lot of my RAM being used even after a restart with nothing open. I have 16GB and usually about 5-6 free after restarting. Been looking up online and found these supposed "RAM Cleaners", but most require you to pay or seem sketchy. Let me know what you guys think and any info from my system you'd need to help me fix this. Most games are fine, but bigger ones such as SC run like crap.

Reactions: Deroth

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
If you tell us what is open we can go through it and figure out what you need to deny.
These are the only things on Startup.
Startup.jpg

Reactions: Scape

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
I wanna investigate that aa_patch.exe file, can you open mcconfig and go to the startup tab and tell me if it is in there? If possible get me a image of everything in that startup tab since task manager doesn't always show everything?
@Grimbli

Also we may be using CCleaner to fix some stuff to help ya run better. Here is a link to it so you can check out its reputability before we install it. https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner Get the free edition, it does everything you need easily enough. We could do it all with the tools already in Windows but that takes a looooot longer and is harder to explain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scape and Deroth

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I wanna investigate that aa_patch.exe file, can you open mcconfig and go to the startup tab and tell me if it is in there? If possible get me a image of everything in that startup tab since task manager doesn't always show everything?
@Grimbli

Also we may be using CCleaner to fix some stuff to help ya run better. Here is a link to it so you can check out its reputability before we install it. https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner Get the free edition, it does everything you need easily enough. We could do it all with the tools already in Windows but that takes a looooot longer and is harder to explain.
That was the Startup tab. It's one of the files. I do have CCleaner, but haven't run in a while.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
That was the Startup tab. It's one of the files. I do have CCleaner, but haven't run in a while.
That's the Task Manager startup tab, the msconfig tab looks like this:
Start.PNG

If you run CCleaner it may fix a lot of the issues. I would recommend disabling some of the programs in the startup tab though which is why I wanted to see the msconfig so we could identify the ones you do not need.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
That's the Task Manager startup tab, the msconfig tab looks like this:

If you run CCleaner it may fix a lot of the issues. I would recommend disabling some of the programs in the startup tab though which is why I wanted to see the msconfig so we could identify the ones you do not need.
Mine just has a button leading to the TM menu I showed you.

Ran CCleaner and it did drop it down to 3GB used. That should solve the problem, but if I can disable some startup stuff I don't need that'd be great.
Startup.jpg

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
Okay well, from what I can see, I doubt you need the XboxStat.exe running so disable that. I really need the file paths so I can see what is critical or not. If you wanna look at them yourself and tell me what each program is called I can do a quick check to see if you need it or not. That should free up some startup space.

Edit: After a quick google, definitely disable XboxStat.exe, it's apparently a major resource hog.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
aa_patch.exe - C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
flux.exe - C:\Users\Grimbli\AppData\Local\FluxSoftware\Flux (This controls my auto-dimming feature of the monitor for nighttime use)
Akamai NetSession Client - C:\Users\Grimbli\AppData\Local\Akamai
Delayed Launcher - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology

The others are pretty self explanatory. Sound Blaster, WIndows Defender, others that are normal processes.

Reactions: Scape

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
Do NOT uncheck the Akamai NetSession Client, it's actually useful when browsing a bunch of sites online.
Do NOT uncheck the Delayed Launcher, it is a security feature you REALLY want to leave on as it is a defense against a variety of launch exploitation malware.

aa_patch.exe can be a variety of things, I would need to see the file path before commenting on it.

DO uncheck flux.exe if you don't need it every time you start up your PC, it's meh, probably uses resources you would prefer to use elsewhere.

Unless you want to look into the aa_patch.exe then I you should be good to go once flux.exe is disabled. If you still have those issues just comment here again or message me.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
Ok, let me explain the Delayed Launcher. It does increase boot time significantly but it offers excellent protection against viruses that launch during boot-up. It's up to you whether you want to leave it on. I prefer the added security but if you don't visit risky sites that often and want some increased performance disabling it can help. I just prefer to play it safe on my hardware.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Thanks a ton @Wolfy! Got over 13GB free after restart so I think I'm good without turning off more. I'm wanting to upgrade my computer slowly this year and will probably get a ridiculous amount of RAM just so I never have this problem again.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
Thanks a ton @Wolfy! Got over 13GB free after restart so I think I'm good without turning off more. I'm wanting to upgrade my computer slowly this year and will probably get a ridiculous amount of RAM just so I never have this problem again.
NP, normally I bill by the hour but as a fellow follower of the God Emperor Montoya this was free of charge. Glad it worked. :D

Forgot your password?