Horizon: Zero Dawn on PC

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I am glad I never paid much attention to this when it released on PS4.

I got it on steam when it released and I have been playing non-stop for the past few days.

The PC version comes with the expansion which I am working through right now.

The game is an epic masterpiece of visuals and story telling.

I am glad I went in for a blind playthrough, no story spoilers or anything at all.

It has been a long time since I played a solid story driven single player experience like this!

10/10 so far!

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I read that the PC port is poorly optimized and super buggy. So I was waiting for it all to get fixed up. Is it all better now?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I read that the PC port is poorly optimized and super buggy. So I was waiting for it all to get fixed up. Is it all better now?
I downloaded it on day 1 and had zero issues.

The "poorly optimized" comments came from a Eurogamer.net dipshit journalist who was crying about 4k resolution being downscaled to 1080p. If that is your make or break point for this game, then yes.

If you go looking for problems running this port in 4k and textures, lighting and shadows not being optimal, Im sure you can find problems.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I downloaded it on day 1 and had zero issues.

The "poorly optimized" comments came from a Eurogamer.net dipshit journalist who was crying about 4k resolution being downscaled to 1080p. If that is your make or break point for this game, then yes.

If you go looking for problems running this port in 4k and textures, lighting and shadows not being optimal, Im sure you can find problems.
That's just ridiculous. I grew up on pixelated masterpieces. Hell, I just dusted off my old EQ account and have been rolling around in nostalgia. Graphics are such a small part of makes a great game what it is, that imo, criticizing a game based on those lofty 4k requirements is just sensationalism. Guess I should have dug a little deeper than the surface bitching.

Off to the steam store for me. I've been eager to try it out for a while now, just never wanted to dust of the console to do it.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
That's just ridiculous. I grew up on pixelated masterpieces. Hell, I just dusted off my old EQ account and have been rolling around in nostalgia. Graphics are such a small part of makes a great game what it is, that imo, criticizing a game based on those lofty 4k requirements is just sensationalism. Guess I should have dug a little deeper than the surface bitching.

Off to the steam store for me. I've been eager to try it out for a while now, just never wanted to dust of the console to do it.
Im taking my time and doing every sidequest I come across. It really adds hours to the playthrough!

Reactions: Sayora and Deroth

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Incredibly I've get this game from differente sources (the games I'm buying blind are very very few... first I'll like to try them...), and I'm pleased suprised.
I'm running on medium setting (pc has his age now...), and grphically is really pleasing, no issue, bug or strange clitchies right now (and since is not a "new" game it's expected), the port is, so far, well done, and the story is really captivating.

Combat system is easy and fast but not trivial and push you to think of the approach before engage a fight and to evaluate if is viable to do that, world is well constructed and animation are really well done.

If that keeps up for the next day of play this will end up in my "to-purchase" list with and hight priority!

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Even though you didn't link a picture or trailer (not to worry, I know how to use search engines) I checked it out and it does indeed look like a great game, especially at the price.

I was happy to hear that you are enjoying it and that you avoided spoilers.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I am glad I never paid much attention to this when it released on PS4.

I got it on steam when it released and I have been playing non-stop for the past few days.

The PC version comes with the expansion which I am working through right now.

The game is an epic masterpiece of visuals and story telling.

I am glad I went in for a blind playthrough, no story spoilers or anything at all.

It has been a long time since I played a solid story driven single player experience like this!

10/10 so far!
imagine if the original metalgear solid was made at the same level of detail in that engine. it would be glorious.

Starscribe

Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe
Take a look at the reviews, and the score, before you buy, on Steam.

I don't see any hint of a backlash or organised campaign against the game - I see loads of genuinely disheartened users wanting to love it and for it just to run / run well, in the main. There are hundreds of complaints in a dozen threads from people simply not able to play at all. I'm one of them. And of those who can play, many, many are experiencing regular crashes - something the devs have acknowledged. This has been widely documented and streamed. It's not simply a problem with expecting too much, or playing the game with the bells and whistles turned up too loud, as many of the complaints on Steam make clear.

From the first page alone on Steam's discussion page (!) as I write this, I see the following thread titles:

• My game worked until this patch now it crash
  • Is this a viable way to stop the constant crashes?
  • Patch 1.02 broke my game... Super choppy now
  • Patch didn't help (at least for me)
  • New patch only crash
  • Horizon Zero Dawn RTX Cards crash fix
  • Crash and PC freezes, new patch, worst performance
  • Patch 1.02 and the game still stutters
  • Game never launches
  • Crashing on Launch
  • 1.02 has made the game barely playable
Page two is no different. I know the internet can be a hotbed of moaning Minnies. The majority of these complaints read as genuine appeals for help with problems users shouldn't be having.

Sure, some of the people who couldn't play now can after the last patch; and some who could before now can't. You might be lucky and be able to play - the majority can I assume. I'd venture to suggest those able to get decent performance out of the game, stutter and crash free, may be comfortably in the minority though that's purely based on anecdotal evidence.

I have a fast machine. Up to date drivers. A fairly snazzy graphics card. The latest version of Windows. More memory than an elephant. Chunky, free SSD. I got to the language select screen and crashed.. every.. single.. time. Tried all the tricks listed to play to no avail. As I approached the two hour mark (changing drivers / re-installing puts the game into a 10 minute optimisation spin) without any acknowledgement of the particular issue I faced in the patch notes and comments released by the Deves, I reluctantly got a refund. I can always re-buy it when they polish it properly.

I understand if the game runs fine for you, you'll celebrate it. It's a great game when it works. I have it on PS4 and love it. Bought it on PC to play the Rolls Royce version. Refunded and bought Flight Simulator 2020 on Thursday - which loaded without fault for me, recommended I set everything to 'ultra', and runs silky smooth right out of the box..

I know you want this.. I do too!

horizon-zero-dawn-pc-header-scaled.jpg

This is as far as I ever got. This is my screen. I'm far from alone:

Horizon Zero Dawn screenshot.JPG

Putting the other side here for balance. You may be lucky. You may have the patience to wait for a fix which may, or may never come. Or you may want to buy something else, at least until they've fixed it for all / almost all.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Ive seen the complaints, I have no doubt some people are having issues, but for me personally 82hrs in, zero crashes, zero problems.

1597883752513.png

They are very much aware that some people are having issues, this the patch yesterday. I would say to anybody that wants to give this a try and is concerned, maybe wait another week or so if you are really concerned. They will have it working smoothly by then.

Starscribe

Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe
Re-bought this. Thought I'd see if the devs had done enough to at least allow the game to run (couldn't previously get beyond the language select..).

And the answer is..

The game runs! Odd graphical glitch and ultra widescreen shrinks for cutscenes but I can live with that. No crashes as yet but only snuck on in my lunch hour. We'll see but delighted to say, so far so good..

Sayora

Grand Admiral
Donor
Oct 23, 2018
RSI Handle
Sayora
I bought this game a few weeks ago, loved it so pretty and the game play was amazing, I got through it in a week and a half but was worth it and am re-playing slowly at a harder difficulty level

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I bought this game a few weeks ago, loved it so pretty and the game play was amazing, I got through it in a week and a half but was worth it and am re-playing slowly at a harder difficulty level
The progression system is great, I like the way the weapons do not change much, but you find a way to fine tune them to your gameplay.

Forgot your password?