Houston members, are you ok?

Kortheous

Space Marshal
Jun 13, 2015
RSI Handle
kortheous
We have had rain since more or less Friday night and it's expected to continue through the rest of the week. My neighborhood has not flooded as of right now, however there are many areas around the city that are flooded. It's pretty serious as the pictures are showing. Also, I do have electricity and cell service as much of the city does.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
We have had rain since more or less Friday night and it's expected to continue through the rest of the week. My neighborhood has not flooded as of right now, however there are many areas around the city that are flooded. It's pretty serious as the pictures are showing. Also, I do have electricity and cell service as much of the city does.
Jesus that is ridicules have you thought about moving out of state till the end of the week? it might be the better way to go to be honest lock your doors and do some travel to keep yourself and your family safe...

Zull Reicher

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Tiltz
I have some friends down there. One informed me that the New York Fire Department is sending boat squads down. Things are really bad. 2' of rain so far and 2' more is on the way! Crazy. Prayers for the folk down there. Heard that low lying lands have already flooded to the second floors, and they are gonna have to release water from the reservoirs to prevent flooding. Gonna get worse as the storm comes back again and again.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
A note for anyone living in Houston also put all of your valuable you do not plan to bring with you even if they are already partially wet on the 2nd floor of your house(or higher not the roof if possible. For electronics after the flooding is finished do not turn them on. put them in a box of rice and allow them to sit for 2-3 days each(you may need a lot of rice). Other option is desiccant which yeah works to but more expensive. once again I repeat DO NOT TURN ON YOUR ELECTRIC DEVICES until you have done this even if it seems they are dry it will ruin them. Another good tip is after they are dried out if you can disassemble them do so and use compressed air on the circuit boards to remove any salts, dirt, or other matter from the components. if done properly and all batteries/electricity was removed they should be fine(even cellphones). Lastly if a component is very difficult to clean out you can buy a lot of rubbing alcohol and submerge the wet component in the rubbing alcohol and clean it that way. Ensure you use static free gloves to prevent inadvertent static discharge. Sorry if I wrote this kind of confusingly hopefully some people understand and are able to save important components (don't do this to LCD TVS unless you confirm I'm not sure if it will affect the displays)

Kortheous

Space Marshal
Jun 13, 2015
RSI Handle
kortheous
Jesus that is ridicules have you thought about moving out of state till the end of the week? it might be the better way to go to be honest lock your doors and do some travel to keep yourself and your family safe...
It's not that bad, even though everyone is seeing in SOME AREAS there is massive flooding.

Also, I keep thinking about back in 2005 when Hurricane Rita came through, the evacuation caused a gridlock on the freeways. It took many people 24 hours to go 200 miles to Dallas. Now, the Mayor is catching crap because he did not issue an evacuation, however the same thing would happened.

Zull Reicher

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Tiltz
I heard from my friend that they are going to open the flood gates from many upriver dams. This will apparently have a negative impact on some but it will save the many. So thankful that I don't have to make those decisions. He also told stories about local nursing homes... The residents were told not to evacuate since their location has never flooded before. Now the old folks are wheeling around in their wheel chairs with water lapping over their wheels...
Wish I could do more than pray for them.

Kortheous

Space Marshal
Jun 13, 2015
RSI Handle
kortheous
I heard from my friend that they are going to open the flood gates from many upriver dams. This will apparently have a negative impact on some but it will save the many. So thankful that I don't have to make those decisions. He also told stories about local nursing homes... The residents were told not to evacuate since their location has never flooded before. Now the old folks are wheeling around in their wheel chairs with water lapping over their wheels...
Wish I could do more than pray for them.
That nursing home story is horrible. Luckily, they were airlifted to a safe location today. To be ahead of the storm as it goes back in the gulf and then heads this way, some areas south of Houston are now getting evacuation orders and flood zones in Houston are being asked to leave.

Forgot your password?