How do missiles work? (Or: Oh my god how can I stop sucking so bad)

Enoch Lost

Captain
Oct 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Enoch_Lost
It's become clear to me that I have literally no idea how missiles work in this game.

If I lock missiles on someone, they pop a flare and lose them all. It matters very little how many I fire. If I throw 8 missiles at someone, they'll pop a flare and I'll see all 8 missiles shunt off after the flare.

If someone locks a missile on me, my flare will take care of it maybe 1/3rd of the time. If I have 2 or 3 missiles locked on, I'm almost always dead.

I have yet to survive seeing 6 or 8 missiles locked on me. Literally. Not once have I seen a screen full of locks and not died from it. A single flare? Does nothing. Spamming flares? Does nothing. (I might lose one or two of the missiles, but death is still coming.)

I've tried reading about it, but can't find anything that agrees.

I've been told that flares fire from behind the ship, therefore if you fire missiles at someone's ass, they can easily flare and lose them. Therefore, you should fire missiles at their face unless you want them to avoid them easily. I've also been told that since flares fire from behind the ship, I should always try to aim my ass towards the missiles coming at me before firing flares, or the flares won't do anything. I've tried this and have failed to notice a difference.

I've also been told that since the missiles are heatseeking, they follow the target's main thrusters. Therefore, never fire at the front of a ship or it will easily flare and avoid your missiles. Only fire at the ass of a ship. I've also been told that since missiles seek heat, I should always try to align my main engines away from the missile before firing flares. I've tried this as well, and failed.

Obviously I suck. But I'm not even sure which strategy to be trying to use. Or if I'm missing something else entirely, conceptually. I'm clearly doing something staggeringly idiotic; it's not just that some people are able to easily evade my missiles, it's that everyone can. And that I never seem to be able to do the same.

Reactions: MzHartz

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
I've also been struggling hardcore with missiles since that balance patch a while back...

Op4ArcticFox

Space Marshal
May 9, 2014
RSI Handle
Op4ArcticFox
I am sure the rubber-banding issue is at least a little at work here. Packet management is a tough thing to balance, and right now my guess would be when the connection gets wonky they just spam packets. Which fixes things a little in a test environment, but out in the wild has drastically different results.
tl;dr your connection, and your opponents connections are likely strong reasons why you encounter this.

AwesomeDude

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 25, 2015
RSI Handle
TheAwesomeDude
the way i kill things with missiles is i equip tempest 2s (pretty good CS missile), i get in a turning battle with someone, lock on to them, switch direction and boost (so that now i am almost going straight at them) and fire the missiles. Normally they cannot use countermeasures or dodge in time to evade them.

Here are some illustrations:

Most people when they see you start to move the other direction will focus on shooting you because it is much easier now that you are not moving that much across their screen. When the missile is launched they are already on it's path and are probably relatively close. The boosting also helps the missile connect with the target before they can react as well.

the way i generally avoid taking a missile to the face is by strafing out of the direct path of a missile, then flying parallel to it (in the opposite direction). all the while boosting and spamming countermeasures.

More illustrations:

This essentially works because the missiles are not all that great at leading their target, and they cant really turn on a dime either. The missiles will start to turn, but then lose lock and fly off into the distance.

Enoch Lost

Captain
Oct 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Enoch_Lost
Thanks for the tips! I'll try that later.

Another issue I've been having lately is that when I click my middle mouse button to lock on and/or fire, sometimes the camera switches to outside my cockpit for a second. This is, obviously, incredibly disorienting. I'd think that my key-bindings were off, but I haven't changed them from default. Also I can't reproduce the issue intentionally. Scrolling the mouse wheel zooms me in and out, and clicking it usually just locks missiles. But every once in awhile, clicking it changes my camera. Any ideas why this is happening?

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
The larger thing I bet is the fact the missiles are not all in or balance/working properly.

Once they actually get everything in and working then different missiles will lock onto different things. While there will be heat seeking missiles, there will also be cross section missiles and radar guided missiles.

Heat seeking will be countered by the flair. However boosting after dropping a flair will be counter productive as your engines will be hotter than the flair at that point.
Radar guided will be countered by chafe, breaking up your radar signal causing the missile to detonate in the chafe instead of up your tail pipe.
Cross section missiles lock onto your ships silhouette. So distance and maneuvers can counter those.
The last kind will be dumb fire. simply point and shoot and hope you hit.

My biggest issue with missiles has been getting hit by them but not dieing. I lose control of the ship and cant do anything but i dont die so i can respaun. Mine never hit but theirs always manages to hit me. I even tried the tactic you illustrated awesome dude. The missile always lags and doesnt fire right away then misses completely flying 30 miles in a circle before ever getting back on target.

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
heat seeking missiles, there will also be cross section missiles and radar guided missiles
I think radar missiles are using your cross section('cause that's how radar works), and the 3rd variant of missiles is EM based.

But there are different tactics for different kinds of missiles!

Reactions: Op4ArcticFox

Adiran

Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Adiran
Yes you are right. typed that up in a hurry and i guess i didnt pay attention to what i was saying.

Audax Phidippus

Captain
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
Audax_Phidippus
Awesome Dude's response is good. TL : DR - Missiles have limited range and turn radius. Against some missile types, getting good at tracking and dodging them is more effective than countermeasures. Watch the radar.. sometimes it's accurate!

REC an M50.
It is difficult, but possible, to actually hit someone with their own missiles - like in the Cutlass commercial. Not with an actual Cutlass, of course, you want an M50 for this. Head straight at the opponent, dodging the missiles on the way(keep distance), pass him, and try to put him between you and the missiles. Use the radar view to try and line him up with the incoming missiles.. you are leading them. 1 out of 10-20 attempts will yield awesomeness. It is the most fun I've had in the game since the missile nonsense got out of hand. Doing this has given me much insight to the way missiles fly - making me better at avoiding them in any ship.
(Edit: Need to be close when missiles are fired)

Reactions: Enoch Lost
Forgot your password?