How to fix 3D version of Bar Citizen Logo?

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Howdy all,
So I've come up against something a little out of my wheel house concerning 3D modeling.
I converted the Bar Citizen Logo png to a vector (it's not perfect but it's close)

And then when extruding the vector
I couldn't use cap fillet, only fillet on some of the paths (see pic below)

The red marks shows the shapes I need to cap, however if I try to cap these they get all messed up.
It doesn't make sense to me because the edges are continuous on the end of the fillets.

Anyone suggestions on how to fix this?
Thank you

Reactions: Zerqz and Thugari

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Usually that is because there are some end points that are not connected, just at the same place as in each line have a end point like a corner is made of two or three end point. For a square to be a solid all end point must be joint if they are not or there are more lines and end point that is required you get unwanted effects. Most common reason for a extrude not to work correct...

What 3D format you using is it for Maya, Max, Lightwave, Blender..... ?

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Hmm... means I need to really look this over better in AI eh? ... I'm wanting to use it in substance painter, so obj or FBX from anything. Blender, C4D, Max, Maya.. whatever will do the job best.

Edit:
Looked over vector again, expanded compound paths to check, everything is joined. The vector paths aren't perfect from the trace conversion. But I'm not finding stacked anchors yet :/

paths looking like they're all closed paths so.. has to be user error. lol

.... I'm beginning to think it could be the curves maybe not extruding properly, could that be possible?

Last edited:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
mm.... well it can be quiet tricky.. I could try in LW, Maya.... if I had the Ai file ;) but I could try using the png and vectorize that see if I get different result ;)

Reactions: Thugari

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Logo looking great!
In case Maya doesn't wanna play along (she can be really annoying sometimes), or you just get bored with looking for errors cos your beer ran out, I'm happy to give it a look in Max :smile:
Had to deal with stuff like this before, hated it though. Usually the problem was endpoints not lining up "perfectly enough", and also when extruded the normals can get switched on adjacent faces and it can't cap em. So I ended up rebuilding some parts from scratch, sometimes it's faster than messing with the curves.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Logo looking great!
In case Maya doesn't wanna play along (she can be really annoying sometimes), or you just get bored with looking for errors cos your beer ran out, I'm happy to give it a look in Max :smile:
Had to deal with stuff like this before, hated it though. Usually the problem was endpoints not lining up "perfectly enough", and also when extruded the normals can get switched on adjacent faces and it can't cap em. So I ended up rebuilding some parts from scratch, sometimes it's faster than messing with the curves.
So true the normals get turned some time and that too realy screw things up...
Then I got to know Maya really well when she was not yet 2.x so I been a decade with her and she behave as I want her too now... ha ha ha
and yeah Max yeah, he shore can do it too in a heartbeat... if he so want to...
But oh! Lightwave.... She is still the master in making extruded vector, tho when Maya turned beyond 5.x and become a year she kinda out run the competition... ha ha

CHEERS! :beer: :beer: :beers: :beers:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
So true the normals get turned some time and that too realy screw things up...
Then I got to know Maya really well when she was not yet 2.x so I been a decade with her and she behave as I want her too now... ha ha ha
and yeah Max yeah, he shore can do it too in a heartbeat... if he so want to...
But oh! Lightwave.... She is still the master in making extruded vector, tho when Maya turned beyond 5.x and become a year she kinda out run the competition... ha ha

CHEERS! :beer: :beer: :beers: :beers:
So true about Max!
The difference is that you are not frowned upon as much when you smack Max on the head with a shovel :D
I only knew both of em since Max turned 5 though, and didn't care much for Maya, cos Max built cars while Maya played with dolls, and I'm a car guy. The VFX life led me back to Maya and I learned to love and hate both about equally over the years :D The wave of light never hit me though.
I feel it's time to try to master the illusions of the escape artist next!

:beers::beers::beers: !

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
So true about Max!
The difference is that you are not frowned upon as much when you smack Max on the head with a shovel :smile:
I only knew both of em since Max turned 5 though, and didn't care much for Maya, cos Max built cars while Maya played with dolls, and I'm a car guy. The VFX life led me back to Maya and I learned to love and hate both about equally over the years :smile: The wave of light never hit me though.
I feel it's time to try to master the illusions of the escape artist next!

:beers::beers::beers: !
Yes true Max only need a short amount of time in school to get going when Maya is a bit more demanding and might need some extra courses to get things done right... But when she's done her exam she is a force not to mess with... and leave her brother Max in the sandpit still playing with them cars ha ha... The Light she's like Maya hard demand for high exam but she come in strongest when it come to light shows and producing amazing geometry.. but yeah she can be some what moody and not always want to play ball.. ha ha

:beers: :beers: :beers:

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Red 1, Jared, Red 1!

lol I kinda like the candy apple red paint job in this one.

WIP.. let me know what colors/angles yall want.. I've no idea what I'm doing lol

Looking awesome, do what I do when I'm not shore what I'm doing try all buttons then in the end you know what buttons you like the most.
For it is important that you like to push the button no matter if we do or not.. then you just push it for us..
As in try any angle and many colors.. see what fancy your eyes..

:beers: :beers::beers::beers:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Looking awesome, do what I do when I'm not shore what I'm doing try all buttons then in the end you know what buttons you like the most.
For it is important that you like to push the button no matter if we do or not.. then you just push it for us..
As in try any angle and many colors.. see what fancy your eyes..

:beers: :beers::beers::beers:
If 8 years in the industry thought me anything its that Yes, pushing all the buttons works in the end :D Keep playing with it till you like it!
Red looks nice with the orange/sand.

Max works better for one thing, Maya works better for others. I use both every day for work. It's not the tool that maketh the artist! It's the plugins! :D

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
If 8 years in the industry thought me anything its that Yes, pushing all the buttons works in the end :smile: Keep playing with it till you like it!
Red looks nice with the orange/sand.

Max works better for one thing, Maya works better for others. I use both every day for work. It's not the tool that maketh the artist! It's the plugins! :smile:
Yeah true that they both bring each there thing to the table and I too rather have both fork and knife when I eat then just one of em...
So I guess in the end it's not the gear that make you an artist good or bad it's how you use the gear you have...

I say it's the same with everything and I usually say that most of the time when it come to photography, when people get a new digital camera and start running around taking picture and suddenly they call them self a photographer... LOL...

I always say...
"if you're a crappy photographer more expensive and better camera will not make you a better photographer you just take sharper crappy photos and if you are a good photographer you take good pictures even with crappy gear for you know how to by experience"...

Think you can apply that to almost anything related to skill and experience in any kind of profession or field of work

So with right tools experience and a lot of hard work you learn, you just don't use one to be good or great..

:beers: :beers: :beers:

Last edited:
Reactions: Lorddarthvik
Forgot your password?