RSI Handle
Black_Sunder

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Humberto a hurricane now headed out into north central atlantic. Nothing to be concerned about.

There is a possible formation of a depression/storm soon in the south central atlantic. NHC has it at 90%. I doubt its going to do much. so I give it this:

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
There is a tropical storm coming ahsore in Texas atm at Freeport. Flash flooding dangers but its supposed to peter out by Thursday.

If you like this kind of stuff, here is some stuff you may like:

Cool picture of rainfall projections, based on "Percent of Normal" precipitation:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Well, I don't like this kind of stuff too much. It's in my front yard, and would be in my back yard except for the live oaks that are dropping small bits all over the place. No real danger except for flash floods, power failure and the occasional pissed off squirrel.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
3 days? Sometimes? When I was a kid it was only 1 day and only occasionally. Then we had over 4.4 meters of snow (not an exaggeration, about 14 1/2 feet) so now... we're talking quite the heat wave.
Jesus Murphy, where the hell did you live? I think I recall something about Northern Ontario, but I think I recall many things, haha.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Jesus Murphy, where the hell did you live? I think I recall something about Northern Ontario, but I think I recall many things, haha.
Eastern Ontario, actually that was Ottawa. It was 1971... was an exceptional year. There was a similar snowfall... hmm, sometime between 2006 or 8? I don't remember which year. These are signs of something else though but it wasn't really well understood. But put the ice storm of 1998 into the picture and you can tell something changed. A kind of line in the snow as it were.

In January 98, the middle of the winter, in Eastern Canada, and North Eastern US, it rained for 3 days. Then it froze solid overnight. From Eastern Ontario, to western Nova Scotia in Canada, and New York, to Main in the US. Hydro pylons north of Montreal, and between Ottawa and Montreal collapsed due to the weight of ice. Millions of people were without power, in the middle of the winter. 35 people (both countries) froze to death in their houses. The US and Canadian Armies responded fast though, and saved hundreds of thousands from a similar fate. I don't know the specifics, something like 16,000 troops in Canada alone. Electrical grid repair crews from as far away as Texas came within days to help put things back together. The railways delivered locomotives to the worst hit areas to help get power to run furnaces and heaters. It was surreal.

Over time since the winter storms of the 1970's, the weather patterns have been changing. Things are now markedly different. Used to be winter was November to April, now it's Christmas to the end of Feb or middle of March at the latest, and it's warmer in winter... I mean used to be we wore boots we called skidoo boots ... you know the type...You wore them for months every year as a kid. Now you can wear shoes on your way to work most of the winter. Yes we still get -20, but never for as long as it was.

There's a festival called Winterlude held in Ottawa. It used to be in March. It's now held the end of January to the middle of February, and most in Eastern Ontario wouldn't go into the Rideau Canal after March, and even in February they test the canal every day for ice thickness. That was unheard of up to when I graduated from high school.

This is also part of the backdrop for why Canadians honored our war dead from Afghanistan the way we did. We have a debt to pay, to our troops. They were in many cases, from the same units, and often the same troops that voluntarily responded just a few years before.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Over time since the winter storms of the 1970's, the weather patterns have been changing. Things are now markedly different. Used to be winter was November to April, now it's Christmas to the end of Feb or middle of March at the latest, and it's warmer in winter... I mean used to be we wore boots we called skidoo boots ... you know the type...You wore them for months every year as a kid. Now you can wear shoes on your way to work most of the winter. Yes we still get -20, but never for as long as it was.
See, global warming is a good thing!

Too bad I love skiing :(

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
Doesn't look like anything major is on the horizon for hurricanes. But the Watch will be kept until November.

Looking at the fox model, looks like theres a big high pressure system moving out from the US making any potential baddie hurricanes or storms say 'fuck that' and they go into the middle atlantic.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Eastern Ontario, actually that was Ottawa. It was 1971... was an exceptional year. There was a similar snowfall... hmm, sometime between 2006 or 8? I don't remember which year. These are signs of something else though but it wasn't really well understood. But put the ice storm of 1998 into the picture and you can tell something changed. A kind of line in the snow as it were.

In January 98, the middle of the winter, in Eastern Canada, and North Eastern US, it rained for 3 days. Then it froze solid overnight. From Eastern Ontario, to western Nova Scotia in Canada, and New York, to Main in the US. Hydro pylons north of Montreal, and between Ottawa and Montreal collapsed due to the weight of ice. Millions of people were without power, in the middle of the winter. 35 people (both countries) froze to death in their houses. The US and Canadian Armies responded fast though, and saved hundreds of thousands from a similar fate. I don't know the specifics, something like 16,000 troops in Canada alone. Electrical grid repair crews from as far away as Texas came within days to help put things back together. The railways delivered locomotives to the worst hit areas to help get power to run furnaces and heaters. It was surreal.

There's a festival called Winterlude held in Ottawa. It used to be in March. It's now held the end of January to the middle of February, and most in Eastern Ontario wouldn't go into the Rideau Canal after March, and even in February they test the canal every day for ice thickness. That was unheard of up to when I graduated from high school.

This is also part of the backdrop for why Canadians honored our war dead from Afghanistan the way we did. We have a debt to pay, to our troops. They were in many cases, from the same units, and often the same troops that voluntarily responded just a few years before.
I remember the ice storms. I was almost 20 when that happened. There are some pretty cool pictures from my old unit (1 Combat Engineer Regiment) of the boys out with the Badger AEVs doing cleanup around the downed power lines.

Yeah, the weather patterns are weird now for sure. I remember winters in Northern BC growing up were cold, lots of snow, and long. Then as an adult in Northern Alberta (the past 5-7 years) we were consistently hitting 0 in January. Sometimes +5. Like what the hell. And in Kingston, where I live now, it pours rain sometimes in January. The last time the house flooded that's what's happened. 50-80 mm of rain fell after we'd gotten 2 feet of snow. On Jan 13 the.
Last year we wanted to skate the Canal, but they closed it due to it being too warm.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Too bad I love skiing :(
I loved skiing too, when I was younger. When I was 18, I did both downhill and cross country skiing. lol. Not what you think. We skied mountains with cross country skis, and we could go over 200 to 300 km over a long weekend, through mountains. That was fun.

Apparently....today, you have options. You can ski on plastic here in the US, or snow... real snow. In the desert. hey why not ski in Dubai? (The downhill seems to be able to get you to 40 to 50 km/h... that's kind of benign, but the park looks like fun in general. $85 for 2 hours.)
View: https://youtu.be/YYGiy63NWoE

Can't afford Dubai? Try China! Skiing looked benign, but it was Chinese doing the skiing... But take a look at some experienced kids who gave it a try.
View: https://youtu.be/aFV6SYbZ2Z4

Last edited:
Forgot your password?