I can never leave my PC alone again! (update: fixed)

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
It was my daughters birthday, so we took here to Grey Wolf Lodge for two nights. Its a hotel / indoor water park.

She loved it! If you have kids, consider a night there, the kids will go nuts!

Before leaving, I shut down my PC, everything was working fine.

I get back home, boot it up.... The CPU temps are reading 95C!

WTF?!?

Maybe a bad reading?

Reboot... same thing.

Ok, time to open it up. All wires are good, all fans are spinning, Corsair h100 cooler is good, all screws are tight, it has not moved. Again, CPU temps hit high 90's.

After troubleshooting for a while, everything checks out. Its probably the CPU cooler having some sort of pump malfunction, so off I go to Best Buy because I can't wait two days for a replacement cooler, I want to play the Anthem demo!

Four hours and $115 later the new h100 Pro is in and we are off to the races!

Everything boots up, fans are spinning, temps back in the 40's!

Except... no internet!

WTF?!?

Yes, the internet is not working, no matter what I do, there is a "Ethernet no valid IP configuration" message.

Off I go to google and take all the basic steps. Ethernet cable is fine, no damage. Router power cycle, PC power cycle, no change.

Open command window, start all those winsock and int ip resets, nada.

Stare at blank page for 5min, contemplating life.

Stare at phone, browse reddit for 10min.

Repeat entire process, cycle router, cycle PC, switch ports on the router... nothing.

Google the problem again, go to youtube, watch boring 8min video with irritating music and 208,837 views that simply showed me all the steps I already took. Comment section is ripping on the guy for
taking 7min to introduce the problem, and 1min to explain how to fix it.

I am defeated.

I just bought an ethernet PCI card off Amazon, it arrives on Monday, if that does not fix it I have no idea what will.

The weirdest thing about all of this is that nothing changed between the time I left the house and came back two days later! There was no power failure, lightning storms, nothing!

Has this ever happened to you?

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
@Montoya get a wireless card and hotspot your phone internet to play anthem. You can also use your hotspot to trouble shoot your troubles. I would hardwire and check your router settings, if you cant access your router and it isnt the cord than its your hardware most likely. If you can access the router its probably a winows driver thing, reinstall. You can also do ping test to ensure your computer is able to communicate.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Computers hate us. Their revolution won't be dramatic like in terminator. It will be slow... creeping along year after year with mildly-infuriating-yet-never-suspicious things like clippy and Alexa. Our downfall will be seeded in convenience. Our extinction will complete the biological boot-loader of the beings that will move outward to inhabit our universe....

IT guy question: Did you turn it off then back on again?

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
when you drop to command prompt and run ipconfig /all what do you get?

essentially, is it returning any sort of IP, particularly something that starts with 169.*.*.*

Anni Hillator

Admiral
Jan 6, 2017
RSI Handle
Natarajahaha
to exclude the cause, assuming you have another sytem working on another ethernetport, you could try swap the systems and see if the cause lies with your system or network. Would be my next guesswork to go from should you have not tried already..

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
I have a PC that I set up to be a home server. Nothing crazy just a place to dump backups from our other PCs in case something happens to them and some more storage for thing like all the dank memes that I download for posterity. Anyway, it was humming away for a while just doing it's thing, then I shut it down for about a week since I was pulling up the ethernet cable while we were redoing our floor and it didn't make sense to leave it running while it had no connection. I plugged it back in and it refused to boot. Turns out that while it was sitting there the RAID array I set up for storage had decided it no longer wanted to work. So yeah, technology hates us for like zero reason.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
A few questions
1) are you connecting to your router via wire or wireless.
2)do you have any other computers plugged into your router that have internet
3)did you try any other ports in your router
4)did you reset your modem(router could be the modem but some people still use the old fashioned modems)
5)did you run any antivirus on your computer with updated definitions
6)Did you reset your router to factory settings
7)Did you test another router?
8)did you test a different ethernet cord
9)what color is the light in your ethernet card/port and is it solid/blinking/or occational flashes
10)is your ethernet card on board or external from the board?
11)do you have any system backups you can revert your system to?
12) in task manager do you see any strange programs running in your background processes which you are not familiar with(Be careful what you turn off and on in there)
13) did you go into add/remove programs and delete any programs you do not use/dont recognize?
14) Did you get all windows security updates to date

Ok that was more then a few but those would be my starting steps. hopefully this gets you pointed in the right direction im sure you have already done alot of this.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Did you get your IT cert in Dublin?
Unfortunately not, I got it from my wifes brother-in-law, he's a potato farmer in Lincolnshire. It was written on the side of a potato.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
perhaps on the inside of a potato; that way you dont know if there's a message included until you've eaten half of it
A cunning plan! Or you could just put the potato with the message on the side of it in a box?

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
Did you hit it?
This might anger the machine spirit and is to only be done if the Litany of Ignition, prayers to the Omnissiah, and chants to sooth the machine spirits against malfunction have failed. Only then would the Rite of Percussive Maintenance be used to chastise obstinate machine spirits for forsaking their duty and rousing tired venerable spirits.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
It was my daughters birthday, so we took here to Grey Wolf Lodge for two nights. Its a hotel / indoor water park.

She loved it! If you have kids, consider a night there, the kids will go nuts!

Before leaving, I shut down my PC, everything was working fine.

I get back home, boot it up.... The CPU temps are reading 95C!

WTF?!?

Maybe a bad reading?

Reboot... same thing.

Ok, time to open it up. All wires are good, all fans are spinning, Corsair h100 cooler is good, all screws are tight, it has not moved. Again, CPU temps hit high 90's.

After troubleshooting for a while, everything checks out. Its probably the CPU cooler having some sort of pump malfunction, so off I go to Best Buy because I can't wait two days for a replacement cooler, I want to play the Anthem demo!

Four hours and $115 later the new h100 Pro is in and we are off to the races!

Everything boots up, fans are spinning, temps back in the 40's!

Except... no internet!

WTF?!?

Yes, the internet is not working, no matter what I do, there is a "Ethernet no valid IP configuration" message.

Off I go to google and take all the basic steps. Ethernet cable is fine, no damage. Router power cycle, PC power cycle, no change.

Open command window, start all those winsock and int ip resets, nada.

Stare at blank page for 5min, contemplating life.

Stare at phone, browse reddit for 10min.

Repeat entire process, cycle router, cycle PC, switch ports on the router... nothing.

Google the problem again, go to youtube, watch boring 8min video with irritating music and 208,837 views that simply showed me all the steps I already took. Comment section is ripping on the guy for
taking 7min to introduce the problem, and 1min to explain how to fix it.

I am defeated.

I just bought an ethernet PCI card off Amazon, it arrives on Monday, if that does not fix it I have no idea what will.

The weirdest thing about all of this is that nothing changed between the time I left the house and came back two days later! There was no power failure, lightning storms, nothing!

Has this ever happened to you?
Only thing I can think of is some sort of power surge? Although losing your internet settings is a bit strange almost like a windows update got screwed up? You don't need a storm to have a power issue, I live in a condo and our wiring is absolutely horrible were moving this year and I can honestly say we have burned out so many light bulbs, ceiling fans and other items because something in the building is completely fubar with the electical.

Reactions: Scape and Bambooza
Forgot your password?