I suck at combat but want to do better.

Shinlen

Grand Admiral
Nov 1, 2015
RSI Handle
xShinlen
So basically I'm looking for a nice person that would explain to me how should I combat in my spaceship. What exactly is in my interest is when should I use g-safe/comstab/boosters/spacebreak/coupled how should I manage my throtle, when using torpedoes is a good idea and when bad etc. Any other tips would be welcome as well.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
You should try the weekly COMBAT FLIGHT NIGHTs with the testies.
I went there once but it's more like teamplay combat learning than basic combat learning.
Yeap, thats right, but when you want to learn basic combat, you could ask anybody during CFT to do a session outside the planned event, when no other participants are present.

explain to me how should I combat in my spaceship.
That depends on your flight style, ship, weapons and controls.
when should I use g-safe
How good can you manoeuvre without blacking out?
never.
if you want to outturn your target or change vector very fast, when you combine g-safe with booster, this will speeds up the manoeuvre.
spacebreak
during basic combat never, speed is one of your weapons, 0 speed is sitting duck.
That depends on your fight style and ship.
how should I manage my throtle
full throttle, use strafe to keep target distance, but keep speed.
when using torpedoes
as less as posible

Maybe you can find here some inspiration, between the shitposts https://testsquadron.com/threads/combat-fighter.7839/

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Yeap, thats right, but when you want to learn basic combat, you could ask anybody during CFT to do a session outside the planned event, when no other participants are present.

That depends on your flight style, ship, weapons and controls.

How good can you manoeuvre without blacking out?

never.

if you want to outturn your target or change vector very fast, when you combine g-safe with booster, this will speeds up the manoeuvre.

during basic combat never, speed is one of your weapons, 0 speed is sitting duck.

That depends on your fight style and ship.

full throttle, use strafe to keep target distance, but keep speed.

as less as posible

Maybe you can find here some inspiration, between the shitposts https://testsquadron.com/threads/combat-fighter.7839/
Who is our Point of Contact for combat flight night?

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
A lot of these boil down to practice and which ship you're flying.

It can be very beneficial to first find a ship that fits your 'natural' flying style, then building on your experience flying that.

Such as I originally was pretty horrible in a Cutlass and not a lot better in an Hornet. Then I started flying a Buccaneer, at which point I started improving quickly due to it fitting my style. Now I can go back to flying an Hornet or Cutlass, and still hold my own.

Add me to your Contacts, if you see me online feel free to message me so we can try some things out.

I also recommend trying other ships in PU when people offer.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
G-Safe: Depends on the ship. A Caterpillar is unlikely to ever get close to black out velocities, but ships like the 350R and Buccaneer will black you out even with it on if you're not careful.

COMSTAB: Depends on the ship. I have to use it with my Buccaneer, without it I was constantly sliding into other ships, stations, and rocks. I typically turn it off for my Cutlass as doing so makes it fly less like a brick. I don't notice much of a difference between it on or off when in an Hornet or Caterpillar.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
I'm no good at fighting but I found a few rounds of arena commander got me used to the controls, a few more rounds got me killing things faster, a few more showed me my weapons were shit. I switched them about and tried a few setups and got better still and now I can at least do damage to others if I'm attacked.

I just need to keep working on it and recently I've not even logged into the game, in fact it's like I only log in to show the odd friend the game hoping to recruit them but there's very little to show.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I have only one thing to say about COMSTAB..

Using comstab on a fighter is like taking a real F1 car to a race and hock on a trailer on it and think you'll win the race, which every one know that's never going to happen. You'll never win like that.

If the ship is on the edge to start slide comstab prevent you from turning or go fastrer to avoid that to happen, this is not a good thing and do not help in dogfighting.

Combination of throttle management,boost and afterburner is what make you go fast and agile, some go as far as turning off G-safe some let G-safe turn off when boosting only and between it's on.

Flying fast, turning fast, stopping fast... etc etc... it's all about learning control of throttle, boost and afterburner in various combination that is the only way, there is no other way and yes it take time to learn..

There is no shortcut to learn it, it's all about using the knowledge from those who know how to then find out what works for you and then practice, practice, practice.....

:beers: CHEERS! :beer: :beers:

Last edited:

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Okay.. I have to admit i really suck.. BUT.. I've been practicing in the race tracks flying without gsafe or comstab on. This will teach me to be a better pilot for the ship I'm flying. IF I can squeeze my time down further each time without blacking out or red out, I'll learn to better handle the ship I'm practicing with. Let's practice together, what do you say?

Flying in PVP without gsafe or comstab after you know exactly your players limits and ships limits, you can turn quicker and therefore take out your target quicker. Control is a very hard thing to learn when (for example like me) you are a pedal to the floor type of driver/pilot. Pedal to the floor/max boost all the time doesn't work for gsafe/comstab off.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Okay.. I have to admit i really suck.. BUT.. I've been practicing in the race tracks flying without gsafe or comstab on. This will teach me to be a better pilot for the ship I'm flying. IF I can squeeze my time down further each time without blacking out or red out, I'll learn to better handle the ship I'm practicing with. Let's practice together, what do you say?

Flying in PVP without gsafe or comstab after you know exactly your players limits and ships limits, you can turn quicker and therefore take out your target quicker. Control is a very hard thing to learn when (for example like me) are a pedal to the floor type of driver/pilot. Pedal to the floor/max boost all the time doesn't work for gsafe/comstab off.
Count me in I am always up for some racing :beers: :beers: :beer:

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I have only one thing to say about COMSTAB..

Using comstab on a fighter is like taking a real F1 car to a race and hock on a trailer on it and think you'll win the race, which every one know that's never going to happen. You'll never win like that.

If the ship is on the edge to start slide comstab prevent you from turning or go fastrer to avoid that to happen, this is not a good thing and do not help in dogfighting.

Combination of throttle management,boost and afterburner is what make you go fast and agile, some go as far as turning off G-safe some let G-safe turn off when boosting only and between it's on.

Flying fast, turning fast, stopping fast... etc etc... it's all about learning control of throttle, boost and afterburner in various combination that is the only way, there is no other way and yes it take time to learn..

There is no shortcut to learn it, it's all about using the knowledge from those who know how to then find out what works for you and then practice, practice, practice.....

:beers: CHEERS! :beer: :beers:
I see COMSTAB and G-Safe more like adding weights or an aerofoil to a race car. Without them you may be able to hit higher speeds on straightaway, but they provide more control when cornering.

Nobody should be putting either on a Prius or Semi-trailet (Hornet or Caterpillar), but on a high performance vehicle that extra control can be far more beneficial than a little extra speed.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
What exactly is in my interest is when should I use g-safe/comstab/boosters/spacebreak/coupled how should I manage my throttle, when using torpedoes is a good idea and when bad etc.
Some of this depends upon your ship. I am not flying right now so bow to the authorities here like marcsand2, but I will note that in Mechwarrior , and in most of the SC combat vids I have seen, players tend to go straight at what they can see. In my experience, it is better to note not only where a target is, but which direction it is heading and always seek to get behind it. Steering at someone is what gets many people killed. Its okay to lose them outside your field of view for a moment if you know where they are headed. Don't steer at them. Get behind them.

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
Dogfighting sucks on general principle, but when you have reset 10,000 comm arrays, bought all the space suits and guns, completed all the missions and earned almost 800,000 alpha space bucks, the mini-PU starts getting cramped and people get grouchy and end up like junkyard dogs...fighting(see what I did there?). That being said, I have been concentrating on operating my large ships as close as I can to how I imagine the final game will be, i.e., running huge money making spaceships around the universe. So my primary combat tactic is to scream like a little girl and run away. On those occasions when I'm feeling like a junkyard dog, I usually take a fighter out to Koreah and lurk there like a vulture, and pounce on people coming in to clear a crime stat, or anyone else just looking around like a tourist. I particularly look for some guys from an org called "Up in Smoke". Their RSI handles look like "UNIS-your name here". These guys are unmitigated a**holes and are proud of it, and they like to fight because there is nothing else to do right now. They are also some of the best combat pilots I have seen. If you go at it 1 on 1, you MIGHT have a 5% chance of survival, but if there's more than one(there usually is), you are going to die because they are going to wolf pack you. The question then becomes, "how long can I hold out against these guys?". If that is your standard of victory, and you keep coming back, you can only get better. Get some CFT with with the TEST guys, but also get out in the 'verse and pick some fights. I offer this advice to you not because I am a good combat pilot, but because I have become BETTER at it when I train this way, YMMV!

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
authorities here like marcsand2
Hey!!! I suck at racing :grin:, I make my best round with the Super Hornet, fully loaded for combat :laughing: That makes me a bad "driving" pilot. That is one of the reasons why I like space combat, no staying on the track, only try to evade the big space objects :wink:

Forgot your password?