If you feel down today, just remember you are not these drivers

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
I seriously wonder how many times a week that happens.

Whoever has to review the cams probably thinks he has one of the greatest jobs on the planet ....
The description answers this and many other questions. Happens about once a month. I just can't imagine what kind of person does this though. Visually it should be a no brainer.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Maybe someone should put up a sign. Make it bright yellow with blinking lights. Oh, wait...
LOL, they should sue! That should say, "Yes, the sign said 11'-8", but, the sign didn't tell me that if my truck was over that height, it wouldn't go under the bridge!"

Then the drivers should turn around and sue CIG in small claims court, just because, you know...

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
LOL, they should sue! That should say, "Yes, the sign said 11'-8", but, the sign didn't tell me that if my truck was over that height, it wouldn't go under the bridge!"

Then the drivers should turn around and sue CIG in small claims court, just because, you know...
That looks like an older video. They actually have signs with a sensor that flash if your vehicle is too tall to safely pass under the bridge and it directs you to turn away from it to the side roads. People don't fucking listen or pay attention, but they try.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
They're all rental lorries and as America has no actual rules that require people driving massive trucks to actually have any form of training in how to drive massive trucks without leaving a wake of destruction the above video is inevitable!

Here in the UK, if I want to drive a big truck, I can't. I don't have the licence. I'd have to go through significant training and cost to get that on my licence. Now that's not good for me when I want to move house, but it is good for everyone else on the road who is saved from death destruction and carnage ;)

It's also the reason British bridges on average last 100 years longer than American bridges.

Black Sunder

Rock Raiders
Officer
Jun 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Black_Sunder
They're all rental lorries and as America has no actual rules that require people driving massive trucks to actually have any form of training in how to drive massive trucks without leaving a wake of destruction the above video is inevitable!

Here in the UK, if I want to drive a big truck, I can't. I don't have the licence. I'd have to go through significant training and cost to get that on my licence. Now that's not good for me when I want to move house, but it is good for everyone else on the road who is saved from death destruction and carnage ;)

It's also the reason British bridges on average last 100 years longer than American bridges.
Actually we require a Class A license for 18 wheelers and such. But personal transport rentals no.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Its still pure entertainment.

But @Wolfy is right

Is the signage adequate?
The signage is good, and the vast majority of truck drivers notice the problem and avoid the bridge. Large signs alert driver to the low clearance several blocks before the bridge. Half a block before the trestle, a sensor detects overheight vehicles and triggers an LED blackout warning sign that was installed in May 2016. That same sensor also triggers a red-light phase at the traffic light directly in front of the trestle (installed in March 2016), so the driver has 50 seconds to read the warning sign next to the red traffic light and consider their next move.
http://11foot8.com/faq/

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock

A lot of them are not actually rentals, there are videos of work vehicles, commercial trucks hauling goods, and a military high water vehicle hitting it as well. People just think signs are fake news.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
That looks like an older video. They actually have signs with a sensor that flash if your vehicle is too tall to safely pass under the bridge and it directs you to turn away from it to the side roads. People don't fucking listen or pay attention, but they try.
I'm guessing a lot of the problem is people either people renting trucks, and/or people following GPS directions. I'm not aware that GPS will route you based on height of overpasses. Most people are probably too focused on the GPS and "not getting lost" to notice the problem...

Because we know, of course, they aren't on their phones while driving, right?

Forgot your password?