I'm at an impasse

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak
I have an Avenger Titan from the Anniversary sale, and am trying to think what to do with it. Seeing as I lack any form of large freighter I was thinking of upgrading it to a Freelancer MAX, on the other hand I could upgrade my DUR to the MAX instead. At the same time I'm thinking that I could always buy a freighter in-game later down the line, but a mere $15 for and LTI Freighter is oh-so-tempting... Please help me out here before I start flipping every coin in my wallet.

TL;DR - Should I use the AT to get an LTI MAX or the DUR for a 6 Mo. Insured MAX? Or a different Freighter entirely?

Last edited:

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak
I dont usually advocate for additional spending but truly, I believe the MAX will be something special. The light-medium freighter of choice.fast, soloable when needed, can jump at any size point.

backbone of the verse I reckon.

Hope that helps.
I feel the same, it may even be able to squeeze a snub-fighter in the cargo-bay for some shenanigans, its just the aspect of having it be LTI for a larger cost has me stuck.

it's easy do you intend to use the DUR for exploration, yes ,no? If you answer no then do it.
I did initially planned to try and name a whole system, but considering my fleet aside from that DUR is a small military squadron... I need a way to fix that.

Last edited:

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Everybody says LTI is not important, but deep down, we all want LTI.
I would upgrade the DUR to a MAX and the Avenger to a 315P (if you still want an exploration ship). But the option where you end up with a DUR and MAX seems the least appealing to me.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Go LTI on the MAX. You can always get another avenger later and there are enough LTI tokens available from other TESTies at cost (I have dragonflies in buyback) that it's not really a worry.

That being said, you do have other flyable ships at the moment, yes? You said you had a military squadron, so that's what I'm running with. I just don't want to see you and up with no flyable fighters in the meantime.

Also, you can buy the upgrade now, but there's no time limit on when you apply it (beta I think is when we can no longer upgrade).

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak
Everybody says LTI is not important, but deep down, we all want LTI.
I would upgrade the DUR to a MAX and the Avenger to a 315P (if you still want an exploration ship). But the option where you end up with a DUR and MAX seems the least appealing to me.
I'm planning on changing whichever ship is leftover after this choice into something else, not sure what though.

Go LTI on the MAX. You can always get another avenger later and there are enough LTI tokens available from other TESTies at cost (I have dragonflies in buyback) that it's not really a worry.

That being said, you do have other flyable ships at the moment, yes? You said you had a military squadron, so that's what I'm running with. I just don't want to see you and up with no flyable fighters in the meantime.

Also, you can buy the upgrade now, but there's no time limit on when you apply it (beta I think is when we can no longer upgrade).
Yes most of my ships are flyable, I'm just thinking I made a mistake in not getting a money-making vessel for some more passive play in the future. I'll probably go with the LTI Max then, and figure out what to turn that DUR into later.

BenjiMac

Commander
Dec 11, 2016
RSI Handle
macFionnlagh
given the costs in play, it is a hard choice.

I constantly question my choices and fleet composition.only thing Ive learned for sure is that in alpha, never leave yourself without a decent fighter that puts a smile on your face when you fly it. They are the core of the SC experience now and will still be the primary tool in 3.0 and beyond.

cheap to run, quick to replace, soloable and they enable you to take part in any activity available right now.

BenjiMac

Commander
Dec 11, 2016
RSI Handle
macFionnlagh
I have a cat and a starfarer Gemini at the moment. Fallen out of love with the starfarer but Im sure it'll be printing money once we're in beta and beyond and will always be useful within an org.

Redeemer is on my radar for yellowjacket ops and then I need ti settle on a fighter. Love the Buccaneer but I worry it might be too light, Im not a great pilot so tanking hits helps.

vanguard gets a lot of recommendations but is pricey for sure, I enjoy the hornet but its increasingly outclasses as more concepts drop.. Sabre comet is in my sights right now but waiting to pull the trigger. no idea if its a good fit or not.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I have a cat and a starfarer Gemini at the moment. Fallen out of love with the starfarer but Im sure it'll be printing money once we're in beta and beyond and will always be useful within an org.

Redeemer is on my radar for yellowjacket ops and then I need ti settle on a fighter. Love the Buccaneer but I worry it might be too light, Im not a great pilot so tanking hits helps.

vanguard gets a lot of recommendations but is pricey for sure, I enjoy the hornet but its increasingly outclasses as more concepts drop.. Sabre comet is in my sights right now but waiting to pull the trigger. no idea if its a good fit or not.
You suffer the same conundrums that I do. Haha. Fucking ships. I'm still trying to decide on my fighter of choice. Ship are hard.

Lythan

Vice Admiral
Oct 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Lythan
Assuming that multi-crewing ships will be a success. You'll never really be without an option to make money... Work as a crew-member aboard of another Testy-ship to earn some cash.

Fighters will also be able to earn plenty of cash, albeit a bit more dangerous. I think it will be similar to the Freelancer missions of old, but way more dynamic.

"Pirates are active in sector B7, take out their cronies and then capture their leader" ... "A group of pirates have stolen hardware and have been sighted in sector D2, retrieve the hardware (requires x amount of cargo space)". Or maybe swap pirates for Vanduul or if your a pirate yourself maybe bounty hunters or militia :) (this is an example of Freelancer missions)

Thing is, we don't really know what will be the most attractive feature in Star Citizen... For now I think I'll enjoy dogfighting the most, but I may just suddenly find myself in space truck simulator more often then in a fight :D Go for the ship you feel will give you the most satisfaction.. good luck :p

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I would go another route, I would keep the durr, and consider getting a hull A or a B for freight. with the durr you will have the expanded fuel tank, and the long range scanners. Granted you loose over half the cargo space, but you will be able to make longer freight runs with it and possibly able to sell some information you collect with the scanners. plus you keep a multi crew exploration/freight run with a friend.

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak
I would go another route, I would keep the durr, and consider getting a hull A or a B for freight. with the durr you will have the expanded fuel tank, and the long range scanners. Granted you loose over half the cargo space, but you will be able to make longer freight runs with it and possibly able to sell some information you collect with the scanners. plus you keep a multi crew exploration/freight run with a friend.
Sadly I already followed through lol. Made the Avenger into an LTI MAX and the DUR into a Redeemer gun-ship, I may pick up a new exploration-ship down the line but Its not likely right now, thanks for the advice regardless!

Forgot your password?