I'm going for a H.O.D.S.A.T. anyone else?

OuTLaW66613

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2015
RSI Handle
OuTLaW66613
Alright I know a bunch of you out there are going to think I'm crazy but I'm going to do it.
I want to have a dual stick setup with a throttle, just curious if anyone else out there does this or is thinking about it.

The reason I want this setup is 1. Ultimate control how, I want it and 2. I feel that if you had ships that can do what these ships can do in real life you would need controls like this ( I don't know why I just visualize it that way)

Anybody else?

I'll update the thread if people want me to (design and progress). I plan on building a little stand for the joysticks, throttle, keyboard, mouse and Roccat Power grid on a Nexus 7 and 5 (shields, targets, menus, communication etc..).

Edit: Here's what I have so far guys...
Edit: Sorry it's been a little bit, little one has been keeping busy. Got New Pics!!

I forgot, the top panels (for the joysticks) are 9" x 11"

Here's the table top put together

Here's the near completed table in it's pre-testing phase (waiting for Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X to come so I can figure out exactly where I the throttle to go)

Here's a pic with My Roccat power grid setup (and PTU D/L in the background!! Sorry for the Bright/haziness I used my wife's phone for this one)

Let me know if it takes to long to load I can post an imgur album or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sethiol

bryceedmundo

Space Marshal
Dec 20, 2014
RSI Handle
bryceedmundo
YOU'RE A MAD MAN!
I hadn't thunked it but i've been playing Elite the last few days and I use the strafe commands sooo much in virtually every aspect of the game, almost equally as much I as I use the standard pitch/yaw/roll commands so yeah, a dual stick setup would be kick ass. I currently have an X52 Pro, setting it up with dual sticks would be cool, but it would be ideal to have similar (or the same) joysticks in each hand... (maybe? at least I think so). With that in mind, where you going to get your lefty stick (and the rest of your hardware)? CH? I've never heard of this Roccat power grid but sounds cool. I personally would like to see how you progress with it.

OuTLaW66613

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2015
RSI Handle
OuTLaW66613
YOU'RE A MAD MAN!
I hadn't thunked it but i've been playing Elite the last few days and I use the strafe commands sooo much in virtually every aspect of the game, almost equally as much I as I use the standard pitch/yaw/roll commands so yeah, a dual stick setup would be kick ass. I currently have an X52 Pro, setting it up with dual sticks would be cool, but it would be ideal to have similar (or the same) joysticks in each hand... (maybe? at least I think so). With that in mind, where you going to get your lefty stick (and the rest of your hardware)? CH? I've never heard of this Roccat power grid but sounds cool. I personally would like to see how you progress with it.
Oh man Roccat Power grid is crazy awesome (best part it's free). http://power-grid.roccat.org/en/Home/ I planned on getting a thrustmaster t flight hotas x (working with a budget) at Frys but it looks like most places are still sold out after Christmas. I'm workin with a t16000m til I get the second.
So tomorrow I'm going to redo my design in Illustrator, double check my measurements and head to Lowes for wood and plexiglass.

The Woodsman

Lieutenant
Jan 4, 2015
RSI Handle
The Woodsman
Pics and specs will be awesome when you finallize your setup. I'm a cabinet maker looking to design a battle station that will allow me to sit on my couch. A good but affordable and relatively compact control scheme is important to me.

Lonestar the Kilrathi

Rear Admiral
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Lonestar the Kilrathi
throttle is something i think would work well as a foot control. i've been using a floor mounted joystick for throttle and i've used pedals as well. i would like to have a "primary throttle" and then an "override throttle." so like a slider type throttle i could set by foot back and forth and then "let go of" and then have override strafe pedals to temporarily exceed my primary throttle or reverse it. so i could have throttle set to cruise as 75% and then override to go reverse or on up to 100% if that makes any sense. so that way i'd have discrete control over my speed with pedals but also have a set speed i can return to that may also be variable.

so i may end up trying to build something with custom pots. i think maybe i would make a throttle and use off the shelf pedals. anyway, i might also be too lazy to even attempt it.

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
I use 2 Thrustmasters T 16000 and would never go back to using a throttle and stick. Throttles are easy to set up with a binding and just throw on a space brake and you are good to go. But floor peddles would be nice for throttle and it would free up some bindings.

The only draw back is that I am using left pitch and roll for look around which is cool but I would much rather bind it to thrust vertical/horizontal - using hats for that at present. Can't wait to get Oculas Rift so I can free left stick pitch/roll. ;)

Anyway, I would never go back to a traditional stick/throttle Hotas set up. Doesn't really make sense to me: why have a throttle when a stick can do the same and much much more!? Especially with the added benefit of Y/X axis and aft twist which the Thrustmaster T 16000 has unlike the more expensive warthog. The left aft twist I use for throttle.

Last edited:

OuTLaW66613

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2015
RSI Handle
OuTLaW66613
Pics and specs will be awesome when you finallize your setup. I'm a cabinet maker looking to design a battle station that will allow me to sit on my couch. A good but affordable and relatively compact control scheme is important to me.
I don't have a lot of money to work with and I have very limited space. I would imagine with the skills, tools and resources you could probably do something great. Let me know what you make and feel free to expand on my idea if you want.
Here's what I got so far...
http://imgur.com/a/S4OEk

OuTLaW66613

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2015
RSI Handle
OuTLaW66613
I use 2 Thrustmasters T 16000 and would never go back to using a throttle and stick. Throttles are easy to set up with a binding and just throw on a space brake and you are good to go. But floor peddles would be nice for throttle and it would free up some bindings.

The only draw back is that I am using left pitch and roll for look around which is cool but I would much rather bind it to thrust vertical/horizontal - using hats for that at present. Can't wait to get Oculas Rift so I can free left stick pitch/roll. ;)

Anyway, I would never go back to a traditional stick/throttle Hotas set up. Doesn't really make sense to me: why have a throttle when a stick can do the same and much much more!? Especially with the added benefit of Y/X axis and aft twist which the Thrustmaster T 16000 has unlike the more expensive warthog. The left aft twist I use for throttle.
I don't know I've just always visualized a throttle and two sticks in a cockpit (just wild daydreaming of ships). That and I really don't like the throttle on the T16000m.
I have my throttle and my decoupled forward and backward movement. mapped on it. The throttle in wired flight mode is just fine but in decoupled I can never get the damn center of the thing. It pisses me off, so basically no decoupled for a bit or at least not very well (I don't use it very much).

OuTLaW66613

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2015
RSI Handle
OuTLaW66613
throttle is something i think would work well as a foot control. i've been using a floor mounted joystick for throttle and i've used pedals as well. i would like to have a "primary throttle" and then an "override throttle." so like a slider type throttle i could set by foot back and forth and then "let go of" and then have override strafe pedals to temporarily exceed my primary throttle or reverse it. so i could have throttle set to cruise as 75% and then override to go reverse or on up to 100% if that makes any sense. so that way i'd have discrete control over my speed with pedals but also have a set speed i can return to that may also be variable.

so i may end up trying to build something with custom pots. i think maybe i would make a throttle and use off the shelf pedals. anyway, i might also be too lazy to even attempt it.
Pedals are something I was interested in at first but came short on budget for now, It's going to have to be a later part of the system.
That and I got a little one running around and all my stuff is in the living room. Space is definitely a factor at the moment.
I kinda interested in the floor mounted joystick, how does that work? And I'm going to say the setup you want sounds even more interesting, If you ever get that going I would love to see that.

Last edited:

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
I don't know I've just always visualized a throttle and two sticks in a cockpit (just wild daydreaming of ships). That and I really don't like the throttle on the T16000m.
I have my throttle and my decoupled forward and backward movement. mapped on it. The throttle in wired flight mode is just fine but in decoupled I can never get the damn center of the thing. It pisses me off, so basically no decoupled for a bit or at least not very well (I don't use it very much).
Sure, one throttle and 2 sticks would definitely work if you don't mind switching back and forth. But not sure what you mean, I fly decouple all the time and never a problem. As for the throttle on the T 16000, yeah, it sucks. Don't even use it.

OuTLaW66613

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2015
RSI Handle
OuTLaW66613
Sure, one throttle and 2 sticks would definitely work if you don't mind switching back and forth. But not sure what you mean, I fly decouple all the time and never a problem. As for the throttle on the T 16000, yeah, it sucks. Don't even use it.
It's just because I have it mapped to the throttle and haven't changed it, I keep getting sidetracked.
And hell no I don't mind switching. Thinking in my head: Wooo I getz to fly a realz ship!! My jackass just thinks it adds to realism lol.

Last edited:

Overlord

Captain
Nov 30, 2014
RSI Handle
OVERLORD_COOPER
It's just because I have it mapped to the throttle and haven't changed it, I keep getting sidetracked.
And hell no I don't mind switching. Thinking in my head: Wooo I getz to fly a realz ship!! My jackass just thinks it adds to realism lol.
Got it. Yeah, two sticks is the way to go! Of course when it comes to FPS you have to switch to gamepad or keyboard but that is easy enough.

Lonestar the Kilrathi

Rear Admiral
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Lonestar the Kilrathi
I kinda interested in the floor mounted joystick, how does that work?
sorry i haven't answered this earlier, i kept forgetting to come back to it. The floor mounted joystick is super simple, it's a joystick i set on the floor. the one i used was an ancient Saitek and i was originally using it for the throttle lever which was a little lever i could operate with my toes, actually. i've not seen one made like it that's currently available, unfortunately, because i broke the throttle lever... so it's not as useful as it was...

So right now i'm using throttle on the y-axis and a simply operate it like a pedal. i can really only use +y to zero because it's hard to pull it into the negatives with your foot. So it has some quirks, like when you set throttle to an axis it sets Zero Throttle to -100 y, and Full Throttle to +y, so when the joystick is centered your speed is 50%. i actually quite like this, but would prefer slightly different action, such a variable "hands off" speed instead of just 50% throttle. (this was where the throttle lever on the side really worked like magic.)

So, in order to STOP or fly slower than 50% throttle i had to use a SECOND floor mounted joystick and i set Backward Strafe to the +y-axis, so, right foot takes me to full throttle, left foot gives me everything else including reverse. It's interesting how things override each other, too. it can be wonky. also i had to set the deadsone to like 50% on the "footsticks" because big clumsy feet are not hands.

As far as building something i will wait till the controls are more locked in. It used to be that reverse strafe always overrode throttle settings even if you're adjusting it, but i think it doesn't do that anymore. i don't want to build anything serious until i know for sure what i build will work the way i want it too. So i'm going to continue experimenting with pedals and joysticks and the like because it's working pretty well.

Another thing i did which was interesting, but not perfect, was to set my horizontal and vertical strafing to the x,y axes of a joystick on the floor and try to operate that with my foot. With proper deadzones this actually works pretty well, but, the big problem is... finesse.

anyway, at this time i'm thinking pedals will just be superior to my floor mounted joystick (or self centering potentiometers as a throttle, basically.) it'll be nice to be able to stop again without a lot of foot work.

And yeah, right now i fly with 3 joysticks and a mouse. two on the floor configured as above, and one for pitch and roll. I have yaw on the mouse. it's... magical :)

Last edited:

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
sorry i haven't answered this earlier, i kept forgetting to come back to it. The floor mounted joystick is super simple, it's a joystick i set on the floor. the one i used was an ancient Saitek and i was originally using it for the throttle lever which was a little lever i could operate with my toes, actually. i've not seen one made like it that's currently available, unfortunately, because i broke the throttle lever... so it's not as useful as it was...

So right now i'm using throttle on the y-axis and a simply operate it like a pedal. i can really only use +y to zero because it's hard to pull it into the negatives with your foot. So it has some quirks, like when you set throttle to an axis it sets Zero Throttle to -100 y, and Full Throttle to +y, so when the joystick is centered your speed is 50%. i actually quite like this, but would prefer slightly different action, such a variable "hands off" speed instead of just 50% throttle. (this was where the throttle lever on the side really worked like magic.)

So, in order to STOP or fly slower than 50% throttle i had to use a SECOND floor mounted joystick and i set Backward Strafe to the +y-axis, so, right foot takes me to full throttle, left foot gives me everything else including reverse. It's interesting how things override each other, too. it can be wonky. also i had to set the deadsone to like 50% on the "footsticks" because big clumsy feet are not hands.

As far as building something i will wait till the controls are more locked in. It used to be that reverse strafe always overrode throttle settings even if you're adjusting it, but i think it doesn't do that anymore. i don't want to build anything serious until i know for sure what i build will work the way i want it too. So i'm going to continue experimenting with pedals and joysticks and the like because it's working pretty well.

Another thing i did which was interesting, but not perfect, was to set my horizontal and vertical strafing to the x,y axes of a joystick on the floor and try to operate that with my foot. With proper deadzones this actually works pretty well, but, the big problem is... finesse.

anyway, at this time i'm thinking pedals will just be superior to my floor mounted joystick (or self centering potentiometers as a throttle, basically.) it'll be nice to be able to stop again without a lot of foot work.

And yeah, right now i fly with 3 joysticks and a mouse. two on the floor configured as above, and one for pitch and roll. I have yaw on the mouse. it's... magical :)
I can confidently say that I never even imagined such a setup was even possible. Once again, TEST is leading the way!

Murderface

Lieutenant
Jan 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Meatwaud
The dual sticks sounds very interesting to me. I think i'm going to go with a t16000 and a ch pro throttle. The pro throttle has a small analog stick on it that is supposed to be easily used with your thumb, a lot of ppl use it for thruster strafe. Basically a nice throttle with a tiny joystick on it. It also has some other buttons that are supposed to be well placed.

Forgot your password?