I'm not a network guy but I need one :D

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
So I got a buddy that runs a bar and he need a wireless solution. It's pretty big. Some random ass drunk guess would be a 40' x 30' open space. And right now they have a single older but nice home wireless router running. They complain about it being a POS once in awhile and I even experienced it myself. It couldn't resolve. Not being an IT guy I even knew why. A home router is no business solution.

I've been researching it a lil bit. But I'm really curious on some vet IT guys input. What is the best economical solution? Looking for a dedicated open network than can handle say 20 normal up to 100 connection that won't break the bank. It's nothing special just a free public wifi.

Something like Linksys ea8500 with unifi AP

Or more like ubiquiti erpoe5 routh with multipe AP's?

Yelp :D

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
One of these bad boys should provide the coverage you want and are made for a heavy traffic environment. Hell I used an older one of these to blast through an entire apartment complex and even got good signal a bit away at the seven eleven :P After you set it up you can just plug it into the modem or use a switch/hub or router between it and the modem. This also has POE (power over ethernet) dont know if thats useful or not to you but its is a plus.

Devil Doge

Grand Admiral
Mar 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Double_Jinx
One of these bad boys should provide the coverage you want and are made for a heavy traffic environment. Hell I used an older one of these to blast through an entire apartment complex and even got good signal a bit away at the seven eleven :p After you set it up you can just plug it into the modem or use a switch/hub or router between it and the modem. This also has POE (power over ethernet) dont know if thats useful or not to you but its is a plus.
as a network engineer by trade i approve of this

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Yes all in one wifi routers are crap for enterprise. APs are way to go.

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
so what if i just do the AP hooked up to the consumer router?
the reason i ask is because of something something dhcp exchange. from what i've read there is a max that wifi can handle on a band and a max a router itself can handle side. :/ just learning IT :D

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
the reason i ask is because of something something dhcp exchange. from what i've read there is a max that wifi can handle on a band and a max a router itself can handle side. :/ just learning IT :D
You can set that to how many you want, I mean there is a limit but you won't be hitting it :)

Edit: FYI 50 is the normal stock amount set

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
You can set that to how many you want, I mean there is a limit but you won't be hitting it :)

Edit: FYI 50 is the normal stock amount set
yeah i'm reading more and more of that. 40-50 per wifi AP and the router shouldn't really have a prob. but you really shouldn't be running a home router in a business environment.

if i remember right the switch they have installed didn't have much room. i think the cheapest best solution would be to add another switch with 2 AP's. that's without knowing much on the backend. as a hardware guy i dunno how much i wanna dig into this IT bull lol.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
yeah i'm reading more and more of that. 40-50 per wifi AP and the router shouldn't really have a prob. but you really shouldn't be running a home router in a business environment.

if i remember right the switch they have installed didn't have much room. i think the cheapest best solution would be to add another switch with 2 AP's. that's without knowing much on the backend. as a hardware guy i dunno how much i wanna dig into this IT bull lol.
You could always just pick out a nice switch and for this set up an older but higher end one would be perfect, you do not need gigabit or anything for this haha

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
You could always just pick out a nice switch and for this set up an older but higher end one would be perfect, you do not need gigabit or anything for this haha
aye. but that's limited on whatever the admin has on the backend yeah? could pick up the most bad ass switch in the world and it's throttled by some chince through somewhere right?

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
aye. but that's limited on whatever the admin has on the backend yeah? could pick up the most bad ass switch in the world and it's throttled by some chince through somewhere right?
You want an unmanaged switch like this one It also has POE on four of its ports for say something like that AP I linked you. It should not slow you down as I doubt The internet connection that it will be hooked up to is anywhere near enough to saturate it. It also should be able to handle multiple AP's talking at the same time.

mindfart

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
mindfart
Is it actually the wifi? I mean, what kind of line does he have as in bandwidth? I'm no wi-fi guy, but I would try to go with a solution that limits bandwidth per user(and maybe try to block off torrents :))

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Is it actually the wifi? I mean, what kind of line does he have as in bandwidth? I'm no wi-fi guy, but I would try to go with a solution that limits bandwidth per user(and maybe try to block off torrents :))
The AP I linked him has those options

Reactions: mindfart

glockjs

Space Marshal
Feb 26, 2015
RSI Handle
glockjs
You want an unmanaged switch like this one It also has POE on four of its ports for say something like that AP I linked you. It should not slow you down as I doubt The internet connection that it will be hooked up to is anywhere near enough to saturate it. It also should be able to handle multiple AP's talking at the same time.
i think there is already an 8 port in place. i think maybe take something like you've linked off the free port and dedicate it to the AP's for just X area. port on port action

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
i think there is already an 8 port in place. i think maybe take something like you've linked off the free port and dedicate it to the AP's for just X area. port on port action

normally I wouldn't do it like that but I think in your case it would not impact the set up :)

Forgot your password?