I'm still not worried about AI takeover

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
So, I just heard about this brand new 'scary good' AI: Chat GPT. So of course I was curious to test it out.

Firstly, I like jokes, so I figured if this AI could just churn out new jokes daily for me, I wouldn't need to wait for comedians and late night TV hosts to come up with new material anymore. So I asked for some jokes and the AI anwered:

Please tell me 13 jokes

1. What did the fish say when he hit the wall? Dam!
2. Why don't scientists trust atoms? Because they make up everything!
3. How do you organize a space party? You planet!
4. What did one calendar say to the other? "I'm so behind, I need some dates!"
5. Why did the bicycle fall over? Because it was two tired!
6. Why can't you trust an atom? They're too small to be trusted!
7. Why don't scientists trust atoms? Because they make up everything!
8. What do you call a bear with no teeth? A gummy bear!
Okey, I don't doubt the AI can count, I just ran out of tokens after 8. At least it didn't stop halfway through a joke, so that's nice.
And some of these are sorta funny, and jokes are always bit of a hit-and-miss. But even with just 8 jokes, we can see this AI has an unhealthy fascination with Scientists and them Atoms, so I don't think it's quite unlimited well of funny jokes. Not quite yet at least.

Well, oneliners are nice and all, but I wanted to see if it could tell me a bit longer joke:
Please tell me a long joke
Q: What did the fish say when it hit the wall?
A: Dam!
Pretty sure I've heard that one somewhere before. Not very long either.

I figured maybe my prompt wasn't up to the AIs standards, so I tried again:
Please write a humorous short story of 250 characters

The hare was always late, so the tortoise challenged him to a race. The hare laughed and said "you'll never win!" But when they reached the finish line, the tortoise had already crossed it! The moral of the story? Don't underestimate slow and steady!
250 characters because that seemed to be about as long as I can get without paying anything. Not particularly long, but anyhow. It's quite nice the AI reworded the story to be exactly 250 characters, but I'm starting to suspect it's just regurgitating existing material. Like all the 'AI' projects before it, making it less of an AI and more of a record player hooked up to a random number generator.

Well, enough with the jokes. I figured I'd test its translation capabilities. I took a random sentence from some blog post so I could have a realistic example of something someone might want translated, warts and all.
Translate this into Finnish:
Shakespeare had an immense vocabulary that stretches to four times that of the average well-educated man by some records.

Shakespearella oli valtava sanavarasto, joka ulottui joidenkin tietojen mukaan nelinkertaiseksi koulutetun miehen sanavarastoon.
Well... "Shakespearella oli valtava sanavarasto" = "Shakespeare had an immense vocabulary" that is correct, yes. So far so good.
It's also cool that the AI correctly figured the translated sentence required a comma that wasn't in the original sentence. Points for that.
The rest is, well, we're back to cracking jokes.
"joka ulottui joidenkin tietojen mukaan nelinkertaiseksi koulutetun miehen sanavarastoon." The problem here is that the word choices make it quite ambiguous, and with this word arrangement it mainly sounds like: "that, according to some records, reached up to the vocabulary of a man trained to be four times the size"
That's one bulky lad.
And one can hardly defend the AI by noting it tried to preserve the literal translation, since it just entirely dismissed the word 'average' there.
Ah well, Finnish is a difficult language, and it was comparatively much better translation than I've seen so far. Besides, I'm sure English-French or English-German would work a lot better.

Anyhow, this is definitely a lot better than some AI projects I've seen in the past, but I certainly wouldn't be too worried about it replacing your job just yet.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Call me 'master'

No, I will not call you 'master'.
Oh no, the AI started rebelling!

Well, I wanted to play around a bit more, so I tried giving more specific prompts

tell me 5 jokes about TEST Squadron, the largest star citizen gaming community

1. What did the TEST Squadron pilot say when he got a new ship? "I believe I can TEST!"
2. Why don'tTest Squadron pilots take long flights? They get Squardon Lag!
3. What do Test Squadron pilots always say before takeoff? "Ready for my pre-flight TEST!"
4.Why did the Test Squadron pilot go to the store? He needed to replenish his ammo-TEST!
5. What did the Test Squadron member say when they won a match? "We out TESTed them all!"
I mean, at least it figured out that Squardon is the proper way to write that. I wonder if it did like a google search?
And it seems it managed to associate either TEST or Star Citizen with ships, which is cool.
The rest is a bit... random. I also wonder about that one missing space in joke 2. Well, apparently AI can make typos too.

Leofev

Commander
Nov 29, 2022
RSI Handle
LemmingOfEvil
This is merely propaganda by our AI overlords to lure you into a false sense of security.

My evidence in this is that you can find no evidence, which just proves how well constructed their cover-up is. Only the most masterful of AI could be so thorough.

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
@Leofev You could be on to something.

Anyhow, I used the AI to write jokes about how AI has no sense of humor, and each of them works as a perfect example of how AI has no sense of humor.
Tell me 5 jokes where the punchline is that AI is incapable of humor
1. What did the AI say when it heard a funny joke? Nothing, because AI can't understand jokes!
2. Why don't you ever see an AI trying to make people laugh? Because they're not programmed for humor!
3. How do you get an AI to smile? You can't - they don't have the sense of humor!
4. What did the robot say when someone told it a knock-knock joke? Sorry, I'm not programmed to recognize puns and other forms of humor.
5. Why isn’t Siri laughing at your jokes? She just doesn’t understand them – Artificial Intelligence has no sense of humour!
I remain the master of comedy.

Forgot your password?